Learning Joomla! 3 Extension Development [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results.
- Build a basic component and add options to it for greater flexibility and control of your data
- Build plugins for your component and use modules to display data from your component
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Tuesday, August 20, 2013
Course Length : 1 hour and 41 mins
ISBN : 1782165681
ISBN 13 : 9781782165682
Author(s) : Donna Vincent
Topics and Technologies : All Books, CMS and eCommerce, Video, Joomla!, Open Source
Table of Contents
- Component Development- Part I [15:36 mins]
- Getting Started with Component Development
- Adding a Database to the Component
- Displaying Dynamic Data on the Site using the Model-View-Controller
- Adding an Item View
- Language and Menu Item Type
- Component Development - Part 2 [18:55 mins]
- Adding a Form to the Admin Component
- Add Save and Close Buttons to the Admin Component
- Adding New and Delete Buttons to the list view
- Adding Categories to the Component
- Adding Categories to the Site Component
- Component Development - Part 3 [15:44 mins]
- Adding Standard Fields to the Component
- Applying the Publishing Options and Metadata
- Joomla! Router for SEF URLs
- Adding and Using the Publish Field
- Adding a Print and Email Option and RSS Feed to the Component
- Module Development [15:11 mins]
- Basic Bare-Bones Module
- Standard Form Field Types
- Output Form Field Data
- Form Fields for Module Layout and SQL
- Custom Field Type
- Plugins and Languages [15:12 mins]
- Building a Content Plugin
- Building An Editor Button
- Building a Search Plugin
- Building a Smart Search Plugin
- Process Content Plugins
- Component Development and Configuration [15:30 mins]
- Component Configuration Options
- Menu Item Options
- Enabling Joomla!'s Access Control List (ACL)
- Batch Processing
- Frontend Editing
- Template Development [5:32 mins]
- The Basic Template
- Adding Module Positions
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Build a component to save, retrieve, and display custom data
- Add dynamic data with the model-view-controller to display the page and language file
- Add finishing touches to the component which include a router file, print view, and RSS feed
- Implement ACL in a component and add parameters to a menu item
- Add category functionality to a component
- Create a frontend editing form and add it to a component
- Build a basic module and add standard field types to a module
- Create search and content plugins for a custom component
- Build a template that uses Bootstrap CSS
Who this video course is for
If you want to build a basic Joomla! website and are looking for information on the use of Joomla! extensions and their customization, then this course is for you.
A working knowledge of Joomla! 3 administration, PHP, and MySQL is a requirement to follow along with this course, but prior knowledge of using extensions is not expected.
Joomla! 3 speeds up custom development like no other web platform. Building your own custom Joomla! components, plugins, modules, and templates has never been so easy! With this easy-to-follow, hands-on course, you can have your first component up and running today.
This video course provides you with a step-by-step tutorial for building a basic component with frontend editing. You will also learn how to build both content and search plugins for your component, how to build a module to display data from your component, and finally how to build a template using Bootstrap CSS.
The course starts by teaching you how to build a basic, bare bones component for inserting and displaying recipes using the minimum amount of code that is needed for a component.
No component is complete without search and content plugins. You will start off by building standard search and smart search plugins, a content plugin for inserting our component’s data into a content item, and adding code to insert other plugins’ data into our display page. The plugins will make our recipes searchable on the site and will enable the insertion of recipes into content articles.
You will then move on to build a basic module, add standard field types, and finally add a custom field type when standard fields are not enough. The module will display select recipes from our collection. Finally, you will also learn how to build a template that uses Twitter Bootstrap’s CSS.
Learning Joomla! 3 Extension Development makes it fast and easy to develop your own custom Joomla! components, plugins, modules, and templates.
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
Learning Joomla! 3 Extension Development contains step-by-step instructions on how to utilize Joomla! extensions to achieve optimal performance on your website. It shows you how to perform specific tasks in Joomla! using the popular extensions available in the Joomla! extensions directory. It will also help you to choose the right extension for performing a specific task in Joomla!