Instant HTML5 2D Platformer [Instant]
|Print & eBook also available on:|
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results
- Learn about HTML5 2D game development and how to create your own HTML5 games
- Embed your game within a webpage and share it with friends
- Create enhanced games and publish to the Apple app store, Google Play, Windows Marketplace, or Facebook
Book DetailsLanguage : English
eBook : 52 pages
Release Date : August 2013
ISBN : 1849696780
ISBN 13 : 9781849696784
Author(s) : Aidan Temple
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Game Development, Instant, Web Development
Table of ContentsPreface
Instant HTML5 2D Platformer
- Instant HTML5 2D Platformer
- Setting up your HTML5 canvas (Should know)
- Implementing the game framework (Should know)
- Creating the player (Must know)
- Handling user input (Must know)
- Animating the player (Must know)
- Creating the level (Must know)
- Implementing a parallax background (Must know)
- Implementing physics (Must know)
- Creating enemies (Must know)
- Adding pickups (Must know)
- Adding sounds (Must know)
- Creating a graphical user interface (Must know)
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Develop a multi-browser-compatible HTML5 game
- Handle user input devices
- Create a game object management system that will be used to represent the player, enemy units, and collectible items
- Implement your own 2D animation manager system
- Add sound effects to an HTML5 game
- Monitor game statistics and reflect this through an HTML5-canvas-based graphical interface
Game development has traditionally only been accessible to those with experience in computer science and access to the best or most expensive development tools. However, with the advent of technologies such as HTML5 and the ability to self-publish, web-based games such as those on Facebook and smartphones are becoming more attractive to develop than ever before. Through the use of open technologies such as HTML5, anyone with even a basic understanding of games development can begin to develop video games in their spare time and publish them to the Web or as an application for mobile devices.
Instant HTML5 2D Platformer introduces you to HTML5 canvas through a number of exercises, which show what the canvas is capable of. The book contains a number of clear, practical, hands-on tasks that incrementally build on the concepts of game creation and result in a 2D HTML5 platform-based game.
By undertaking the tasks within this book, you will learn how to develop your own 2D HTML5 game framework that you can use in the creation of your own video games, not just the game developed within this book. Alongside this framework you will learn how to develop and understand 2D animation, game logic, and how to handle user input devices.
Filled with practical, step-by-step instructions and clear explanations for the most important and useful tasks. The step-by-step approach taken by this book will show you how to develop a 2D HTML5 platformer-based game that you will be able to publish to multiple devices.
Who this book is for