Joomla! Search Engine Optimization
|Also available on:|
- Learn how to create a search engine-optimized Joomla! website.
- Packed full of tips to help you develop an appropriate SEO strategy.
- Discover the right configurations and extensions for SEO purposes.
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 116 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : July 2012
ISBN : 1849518769
ISBN 13 : 9781849518765
Author(s) : Ric Shreves
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Joomla!, Open Source
Table of ContentsPreface
Chapter 1: An Introduction to Search Engine Optimization
Chapter 2: Configuring Joomla!'s SEO Options
Chapter 3: Useful Extensions to Enhance SEO
Chapter 4: Getting Ready for Launch
Chapter 5: Managing SEO on a Live Site
- Chapter 1: An Introduction to Search Engine Optimization
- What is SEO?
- SEO terminology
- 301 redirect (also known as Permanent Redirect)
- 302 redirect (also known as Temporary Redirect or Found)
- 404 error (also known as Page Not Found)
- Alexa Rank
- Alt attribute
- Backlink (also known as Inbound Link)
- Bing Webmaster
- Black hat
- Bot (also known as robot, spider, or crawler)
- Canonical URLs
- Crawl depth
- Deep link
- Doorway page (also known as gateway page)
- Duplicate content penalty
- Google Webmaster
- Internal link density
- Keyphrase density (also known as keyword density)
- Keyword (or keyphrase)
- Keyphrase stuffing
- Landing page
- Link building
- Link farm
- Link text (also known as anchor text)
- Long tail
- Meta tags
- Organic rank
- Outbound link
- Page rank
- Reciprocal link
- SEF URLs
- Splash page
- Stop word
- White hat
- XML site map
- How search engines assess sites
- Chapter 2: Configuring Joomla!'s SEO Options
- Setting up Search Engine Friendly URLs
- Configuring URL aliases
- Creating URL aliases for your articles
- Controlling the title tag
- Article title vs. page title (title tag)
- Managing metadata
- Chapter 3: Useful Extensions to Enhance SEO
- Finding SEO modules
- Top SEO modules for Joomla!
- Advanced Title Manager
- Easy Frontend SEO
- iJoomla SEO
- Nice Social Bookmark
- RSSeo Suite
- SEO Canonicalisation Plugin
- SEO Friendly Links and Images
- SEO Links Pro
- Ultimate Site Tools
- Installing and configuring common SEO modules
- Implementing metadata management
- Setting up canonical URLs
- Setting up your XML site map
- Implementing control over your Alt and Title attributes
- Setting up cross-posting to social networks
- Providing social bookmarking
- Chapter 4: Getting Ready for Launch
- Determining your SEO strategy
- Identifying keywords
- Assessing keyword effectiveness
- Tapping into the power of stemming and variants
- Content strategies for enhancing search engine ranking
- Setting up third party services that can assist with SEO
- Getting started with Google Analytics
- Working with Google Webmaster Tools
- Working with Bing Webmaster Tools
- Chapter 5: Managing SEO on a Live Site
- Link building
- Identifying quality link partners
- Managing a link marketing campaign
- Creating your own links
- Press releases
- Video and file sharing
- Social media optimization
- Reporting and tracking
- Popularity metrics
- Traffic source metrics
- e-Business metrics
- Link metrics
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- Gain an understanding of how the search engines function.
- Develop an SEO strategy for your site.
- Select the most effective key phrases.
- Configure your Joomla! site to be search engine-friendly.
- The top extensions you can install to enhance your Joomla! Sites’ search engine optimization.
- Execute a link building campaign.
- Develop content that advances your search marketing goals.
- What the most important factors to track with Google Analytics are.
Joomla! is an award-winning content management system (CMS), which enables you to build websites and powerful online applications. SEO, or Search Engine Optimization, is the process and techniques by which you optmize the content and style of your site in order to induce more people to view it.
Joomla! Search Engine Optimization will help you develop and execute an effective search engine optimization strategy for your site. From planning to implementation, the book covers best practices in contemporary SEO.
In Joomla! Search Engine Optimization you will learn how to develop a dynamic and productive SEO campaign. Covering both the basics of campaign development as well as the daily work it takes to maintain your SEO competitiveness, this book will show you how to produce a distinct and appropriate strategy for your particular site. In particular you will learn key phrase selection and competitor analysis and the correct groundwork for your dynamic SEO campaign.
Joomla! Search Engine Optimization will then show you, by finding the right combination of extensions, how to supercharge your site. You will also be given a guided tour of key SEO services, like Google and Bing Webmaster, in order to implement a progressive and effective link building campaign. You will then learn key expert tips and tricks to enable you to build SEO-effective content which will take your site from invisible to unmissable with little effort.
The book will take a hands-on approach to the process involved in configuring a site for SEO. As SEO is an ongoing process – it doesn’t stop once the site is built – the book will provide reusable tips and techniques in order to understand what they have to do after the site is live.
Who this book is for
This book targets site builders, webmasters and site owners. Advanced technical skills are not required, though the user should be familiar with administering a Joomla! website, including how to install Extensions.