Joomla! Mobile Development Beginner’s Guide
|Also available on:|
- Step by step approach to build efficient mobile websites with Joomla!
- Learn everything from organizing your content to completely changing the site's look and feel
- Friendly, clear instructions and explanations enriched with the necessary screenshots
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 270 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : June 2012
ISBN : 1849517088
ISBN 13 : 9781849517089
Author(s) : Tahsin Hasan
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Beginner's Guides, Joomla!, Open Source
Table of ContentsPreface
Chapter 1: Getting Started
Chapter 2: Customizing Mobile Joomla!
Chapter 3: Designing a Menu
Chapter 4: Dynamic Content
Chapter 5: Mobile Ajax
Chapter 6: Content display with Mobile
Chapter 7: QRCode Handling
Chapter 8: Joomla! Apps
Chapter 9: JoomTouch
Chapter 10: Theme Switching
Appendix: Pop Quiz Answers
- Chapter 1: Getting Started
- Server creation
- Time for action – installing XAMPP
- Joomla!—download and installation
- Time for action – downloading and installing Joomla!
- Mobile Joomla!
- Time for action – start Mobile Joomla!
- Mobile viewing in a web browser
- Time for action – User Agent Switcher
- Other user agents
- Time for action – other user agents
- Disabling Mobile Joomla!
- Time for action – disabling Mobile Joomla!
- Mobile template removal
- Chapter 2: Customizing Mobile Joomla!
- Configuring Mobile Joomla!
- Time for action – configuring Mobile Joomla!
- Configuring device specific settings
- Time for action – configuring device specific settings
- Module adjustment
- Time for action – module adjustment
- Mobile menu
- Time for action – creating a mobile menu
- Chapter 3: Designing a Menu
- Template file structure
- Integrating Ocean Blue menu
- Time for action – integrating the Ocean Blue menu
- Creating a sliding menu
- Time for action – creating a sliding menu
- Chapter 4: Dynamic Content
- Dynamic feedback
- Time for action – dynamic feedback
- Time for action – spellchecker
- Styling drop-down list
- Time for action – styling dropdown
- Lavalamp menu
- Time for action – lavalamp menu
- Location picker
- Time for action – location picker
- Social cube
- Time for action – social cube
- Image parallax
- Time for action – image parallax
- Scalable Menu
- Time for action –adding a scalable Menu
- Chapter 5: Mobile Ajax
- Mobile Ajax
- RSS/Atom feed reader
- Time for action – RSS/Atom feed reader
- Google Weather
- Time for action – integrating Google Weather
- Facebook-like sidebar
- Time for action – creating a Facebook-style sidebar
- Live validation
- Time for action – performing live validation
- Chapter 6: Content display with Mobile
- Time for action – installation and setup of Mobilebot
- Time for action – installation and setup of MobStac
- CN Mobile Menu
- Time for action – installation and setup of CN Mobile Menu
- Weever Apps
- Time for action – installation and setup of Weever Apps
- Time for action – installation and setup of Architect
- Time for action – installation and setup of MobileESP
- Chapter 7: QRCode Handling
- Mod QRcode
- Time for action – installing and setting up Mod QRcode
- QRID IT
- Time for action – installing and setting up QRID IT
- Page QR-Code
- Time for action – installing and setting up Page QR-Code
- QR Code Content plugin
- Time for action – installing and setting up QR Code Content plugin
- Time for action – installing and setting up QRMarker
- URL barcode
- Time for action – installing and setting up URL Barcode
- QR code generator color
- Time for action – installing and setting up QR code generator
- Twitter QR code signatures
- Time for action – installing and setting up Twitter QR code signatures
- Seo4 QR code generator
- Time for action – installing and setting up Seo4 QR code generator
- Chapter 8: Joomla! Apps
- J Admin Mobile
- Time for action – installing and setting up J Admin Mobile
- Simple Content Editor
- Time for action – installing and setting up Simple Content Editor
- iPhone homepage icon
- Time for action – installing and setting up the iPhone homepage icon
- Canecom SHPO
- Time for action – installing and setting up Canecom SHPO
- iJoomer for JomSocial
- Time for action – installing and setting up iJoomer for JomSocial
- iVM component
- Time for action – installing and setting up the iVM component
- Chapter 9: JoomTouch
- Installation and setup
- Time for action – installing JoomTouch
- Time for action – setting up JoomTouch
- Understanding JoomTouch components
- The MENU tab
- Time for action – checking the listed modules for JoomTouch
- Chapter 10: Theme Switching
- Mobile Content Switch
- Time for action – Mobile Content Switch
- Auto Template Switcher
- Time for action – Auto Template Switcher
- Time for action – customizing iNimbus
- iNimbus Lite
- Time for action – iNimbus Lite
- Time for action – Joooid
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- Create a feature-rich site that's easy to expand, customize, and maintain for mobile devices
- Design clear and easy navigation using menus, submenus, and text hyperlinks
- Plan and implement advanced configurations for modules
- Organize your site content in different tabs, articles, and slideshows and improve its search capability with AJAX searching
- Make full use of templates to get your site to look just right, tweak the CSS, and customize templates using your own logo, fonts, and colors
- Create and specify mobile stylesheets for your Joomla! website in order to style your Joomla! website more effectively for mobile users
- Extend Joomla!'s capabilities by finding and utilizing must-have extensions that perfectly meet your needs
- Modify extension functionality to suit your needs
Joomla! is one of the most popular open-source Content Management Systems, actively developed and supported by a world-wide user community. Although it's a fun and feature-rich tool, it can be challenging to get beyond the basics with Joomla! and build a mobile website that meets your needs perfectly. Using this book you can create dynamic, interactive mobile web sites that perfectly fit your needs.
Joomla! Mobile Development Beginner’s Guide: This practical guide gives you a head start in using Joomla! for mobile, helping you to create professional and good-looking websites, irrespective of whether you want to create a full-featured company or a club website or build a personal blog site.
The Joomla! Mobile Development Beginner's Guide helps beginners to get started quickly and then to get beyond the basics to take full advantage of Joomla!'s powerful features to create websites for mobile devices. This book will guide you through the complexities of implementing add-ons, components, modules, and plugins in Joomla! for mobile-friendly websites.
This book teaches all you need to know to make a standard Joomla! website for mobile devices and convert it to a feature-packed and media-rich website. This book will first teach you the basics and then how to customize the layout of mobile Joomla!, followed by creating menus and explaining the template structure. The book will then guide you to enrich your mobile site with different dynamic contents. You will then learn to implement mobile Ajax and different mobile display options for Joomla!. Readers will see different types of QRcode implementations with Joomla! sites and several Joomla! mobile apps to customize and publish contents on the Joomla! mobile site. Finally, you will learn about JoomTouch, which enables you to create different templates for mobile devices and then wrap up with theme switching.
This clear, hands-on guide to building mobile websites helps you to get the most out of Joomla!’s many powerful features.
This is a practical step-by-step Beginner’s Guide to Joomla! mobile website building, with friendly and clear explanations enriched with screenshots for easy and quick comprehension.
Who this book is for
If you want to build and maintain your own website for mobile visitors, the Joomla! Mobile Development Beginner's Guide is perfect for you. It helps you build on the skills and knowledge you may already have on creating websites—but even if you're new to this subject, you won't have any difficulty understanding the clear and friendly instructions and explanations. You learn how to build and maintain websites for mobile devices without having to dive deep into HTML and CSS.