Instant PostgreSQL Starter [Instant]
|Print & eBook also available on:|
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Get your database online, back it up, and make it useful as quickly as possible
- Discover how you can utilize PostgreSQL's simple and dependable backup mechanism
- Illustrated platform-independent instructions that show you how to complete each step with confidence
Book DetailsLanguage : English
eBook : 48 pages
Release Date : April 2013
ISBN : 1782167560
ISBN 13 : 9781782167563
Author(s) : Daniel K. Lyons
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Big Data and Business Intelligence, Instant, Open Source
Table of ContentsInstant PostgreSQL Starter
- Instant PostgreSQL Starter
- So, what is PostgreSQL?
- How can one use PostgreSQL?
- Step 1 – what do I need?
- Step 2 – downloading PostgreSQL
- Step 3 – installing the package
- Step 4 – connecting to PostgreSQL
- Step 5 – creating your first user and database
- Quick start – creating your first table
- Step 1 – creating a table
- Step 2 – inserting some data
- Step 3 – querying the data
- Step 4 – updating data
- Step 5 – deleting data
- Top 9 features you need to know about
- Storing Passwords
- The RETURNING clause
- Storing unstructured data with hstore
- Storing XML
- Recursive queries
- Full-text search
- Backup and restore
- Examining database size
- Examining query performance
- People and places you should get to know
- Official sites
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Install and operate PostgreSQL
- Create and delete databases and database users
- Produce and delete tables
- Use pgcrypto to store passwords safely
- Insert, update, and delete data from tables
- Make use of Redis for cloud development
- Search hierarchical data using recursive queries
- Store and query XML data along with other data
PostgreSQL is an incredibly flexible and dependable open source relational database. Harnessing its power will make your applications more reliable and extensible without increasing costs. Using its advanced features will save you work and increase performance, once you've discovered how to set it up.
Instant PostgreSQL Starter will teach you how to install and use PostgreSQL for immediate benefit. A selection of advanced features has been chosen that highlights the breadth of its capabilities and usefulness for your applications. By the end of this book you'll be comfortable installing and using this powerful open source database.
Instant PostgreSQL Starter takes an absolute database beginner on a spirited journey from scratch through having PostgreSQL installed and usable, finishing with the basics down, and a sense of what else it can do for you.
After getting up and running, you'll learn how to insert, update, and delete data, as well as basic querying. You'll create and delete users and databases, and see how to store and query XML, search large text documents meaningfully, handle tree-structured data and unstructured key-value data, and handle a few special cases, such as passwords.
Packed with helpful examples and screenshots, you'll see clearly how to do each step. By the end of Instant PostgreSQL Starter you'll have your own personal database online and running, without any stress.
Get to grips with a new technology, understand what it is and what it can do for you, and then get to work with the most important features and tasks. Instant PostgreSQL Starter is a step-by-step guide to getting a PostgreSQL database up and running, with an accessible approach that helps you perform some initial steps with setup and optimization.
Who this book is for
If you're completely new to databases you'll benefit from this book's step-by-step approach to getting PostgreSQL installed and running. If you're curious about what sets PostgreSQL apart, you'll get a taste of the diverse features it has to offer. All you need to get started is this book and an Internet connection.