Instant Apache Wicket 6 [Instant]
|Print & eBook also available on:|
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results
- Learn to build a Wicket application
- Get to grips with the core concepts of Wicket
- Understand the lifecycle of Wicket
Table of ContentsInstant Apache Wicket 6
- Instant Apache Wicket 6
- So, what is Apache Wicket?
- Step 1 – what do I need?
- Step 2 – installing the m2eclipse plugin
- Step 3 – creating a new Maven application
- Step 4 – coding the "Hello World" program
- Step 5 – compile and run!
- And that's it
- Quick start – creating your first Wicket application
- Step 1 – creating a new Maven application
- Creating a new Maven application via command line
- Creating a new Maven application via Eclipse IDE
- Step 2 – understanding the structure of the project
- Step 3 – creating a class to represent the users
- Step 4 – extending the web application
- Step 5 – creating the sign-in page
- Step 6 – changing the HomePage content
- Step 7 – compile and run!
- And that's it
- Top 4 features you need to know about Wicket
- wicket:extend and wicket:child
- Applying models in the sign-in/sign-out application
- People and places you should get to know
- Official sites
- Articles and tutorials
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Learn the top features of Apache Wicket 6
- Set up a Wicket environment
- Build a secure application with the Wicket framework
- Apply authorization in Wicket to enhance security
- Learn to intercept requests made by clients using the Wicket filter
- Understand models, markups, and behaviors in the Wicket framework
Wicket is a component-based Java web framework. In Wicket, the server side state is automatically managed as it is associated with components. With proper mark-up/logic separation, a POJO data model, and a refreshing lack of XML, Apache Wicket makes developing web-apps simple and enjoyable. There are no configuration files to learn in Wicket as it has powerful and reusable components written with plain Java and HTML. Instant Apache Wicket 6 will take you through the entire process of building web application using the Wicket frame work.
Instant Apache Wicket 6 aims to introduce the reader to Apache Wicket, an amazing Java framework. After you finish this book, you will be capable of developing Wicket applications, using the knowledge acquired in the book to explore more of the technology, and even contribute to Wicket’s community.
Instant Apache Wicket 6 starts by explaining what Apache Wicket is and its advantages, and then goes on to show how to set up the Wicket environment and how to build a “hello world” and a sign-in/sign-out application. After you learn the Wicket core concepts and apply them to the sign-in/sign-out app, you will use Maven in Eclipse to build Wicket applications. You will learn important concepts like lifecycle (objects and requests), models (Model, PropertyModel, and CompoundPropertyModel), markup (wicket:id, wicket:panel, wicket:extend, and wicket:child), and behaviors.
Get to grips with a new technology, understand what it is and what it can do for you, and then get to work with the most important features and tasks. This Starter style guide takes the reader through the basic workflow of Apache Wicket in a practical and friendly style.
Who this book is for
Instant Apache Wicket 6 is for people who want to learn the basics of Apache Wicket 6 and who already have some experience with Java and object-oriented programming. Basic knowledge of web concepts like HTTP and Ajax will be an added advantage.