Inkscape 0.48 Essentials for Web Designers
|Also available on:|
- The first book on the newly released Inkscape version 0.48, with an exclusive focus on web design
- Comprehensive coverage of all aspects of Inkscape required for web design
- Incorporate eye-catching designs, patterns, and other visual elements to spice up your web pages
- Learn how to create your own Inkscape templates in addition to using the built-in ones
- Written in a simple illustrative manner, which will appeal to web designers and experienced Inkscape users alike
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 316 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : November 2010
ISBN : 184951268X
ISBN 13 : 9781849512688
Author(s) : Bethany Hiitola
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Other, Open Source, Web Development
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Inkscape 101: The Basics
Chapter 2: Designing Site Layouts
Chapter 3: Working with Images
Chapter 4: Styling Text
Chapter 5: Creating Wallpapers and Pattern Backgrounds
Chapter 6: Building Icons, Buttons, and Logos
Chapter 7: Making Diagrams, Site Maps, and More
Chapter 8: Designing for Blogs and Storefronts
Chapter 9: Using the XML Editor
Chapter 10: Creating Simple Animations
Chapter 11: Plugins, Scripts, and Templates
Appendix A: Keyboard Shortcuts
Appendix B: Glossary of Terms
Appendix C: Fonts
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- What Inkscape is and how it can be used for web design
- Everything about site layouts—from architecting a website to exporting image files
- Adding illustrative and web-ready diagrams, maps, designs to your website
- Importing, manipulating, and rendering trace and raster images for your web page
- Tips and Tricks for "tracing" bitmap images to convert them into full vector graphics for both photographs and logos
- Text editing and styling—kerning, rotating, moving letters from the baseline, reflection, following paths, shadows, the perspective tool, and cool envelope effects
- Icon and button design principles and how to add them to your website
- Creating simple and effective animated GIFs for your web page with GIMP
- Incorporating animated banners, advertisements, and scrolling text in your website
- The basics of XML and SVG coding
Do you think that your website could do with more visual appeal? Are you looking to spice it up with attractive designs and effects? Enter Inkscape 0.48 Essentials for Web Designers—the only book specifically tailored to using Inkscape for web design. This book will teach you how to effectively use the fascinating new Inkscape vector graphics editor, which, despite being in version 0.48 and having no dearth of competitors, has already separated itself from the competition. Learn everything you need to know about enhancing your website—from site layouts to templates and animations—whether you are looking for a new website design or just some eye-candy.
The Inkscape graphics editor is powerful, but getting started is often difficult. Inkscape 0.48 Essentials for Web Designers walks you through the challenge of using Inkscape from a web design perspective in the easiest way possible.
The first book to unlock the potential of Inkscape for web design, it begins with an introduction to the basics of Inkscape and then journeys you through implementing them in your website one by one.
Learn to build your first website design using Inkscape. Create web page and desktop wallpapers with repeating pattern backgrounds and swirling designs. Incorporate icons and interactive maps on your website. Style and graphically manipulate text—from simple headings to shadowing, following paths, reflections, 3D effects, and more. Enhance your web pages using flowcharts, diagrams, and site maps and learn how to export them. Spruce it all up using animations.
This book will teach you all that and more, in a simple effective manner; and what's more—you'll have fun doing it.
This book is written in a clear conversational style, which emphasizes a practical learn-by-doing approach. Packed with illustrations and examples, this book will make the task of using Inkscape simple and straightforward.
Who this book is for
This book is written for web designers who want to add attractive visual elements to their website. It assumes no previous knowledge of Inkscape. General familiarity with vector graphics programming is recommended but not required. It will also be a useful guide for experienced Inkscape users who want to learn how to apply their skills to website design.