|Also available on:|
- Create applications from scratch using the AppFog web console
- Learn the knack of deploying applications to the Cloud using AppFog
- Know the steps to avoid compatibility issues using the node module function of AppFog.
Table of ContentsPreface
Chapter 1: Getting Started with AppFog
Chapter 2: Using the Command-line Tool
Chapter 3: Configuring Services
Chapter 4: Creating an Application from Scratch
Chapter 5: Command-line Reference
Appendix: Installing the AppFog Gem
- Chapter 1: Getting Started with AppFog
- About AppFog
- Creating an account
- Creating and deploying a preconfigured application
- Using the application control panel
- Chapter 2: Using the Command-line Tool
- Installing the AppFog Gem
- Logging in
- Getting application statuses
- Downloading the application
- Fixing the application for Ruby 1.8.7
- Running the application
- Modifying the application
- Updating the running application
- Chapter 3: Configuring Services
- Creating a database console application
- Configuring the database console
- Creating and attaching a MySQL service
- Creating and populating a database table
- Binding a service to an application
- Using the database in the application
- Making changes to app.rb
- Changes to views/index.erb
- Changing Gemfile
- Chapter 4: Creating an Application from Scratch
- Creating an application
- Testing the application
- Publishing to AppFog
- Command-line options
- Testing the published application
- Managing the published application
- Chapter 5: Command-line Reference
- Finding help
- Getting account information
- Creating and updating an application
- Gathering application information
- Managing your application
- Using services
- Creating aliases
- Appendix: Installing the AppFog Gem
- Installing on Macintosh
- Installing on CentOS
- Installing on Ubuntu
- Installing on Windows
- Using the Ruby Version Manager
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- Set up an account on AppFog
- Download your application from the cloud so that you can make updates
- Upload new versions of your application
- Modify your application to use a database hosted by AppFog
- Use the AppFog command line tools including a reference guide to all the command line options
AppFog is the leading platform-as-a-service provider of PHP, Ruby, Node.js, and Java solutions. It is used by developers worldwide to deploy tens of thousands of applications. AppFog delivers a reliable, scalable, and fast platform for deploying applications in the cloud.
This book is a hands-on guide that will walk you through creating and deploying applications to the cloud using AppFog, which will allow you to get your application deployed without the hassle of setting up servers.
This book demonstrates how to use the AppFog service to build an application and have it running in the Cloud. It will walk you through the initial AppFog setup process and explain how to create your first application in minutes.
You will also discover how to use services such as databases to make your applications more powerful. You will also learn how to create applications from scratch.
You will find out everything you need to know to get an application running in the cloud for the first time.
This book is a practical, hands-on guide to implementing and deploying apps on the AppFog platform.
Who this book is for
Implementing AppFog is for developers who want to be able to upload applications to the cloud, and for implementation specialists, who implement and deploy apps on the AppFog platform. It is best to have Ruby installed, but we will walk you through the installation process if you do not already have it. It would be ideal to have some knowledge of cloud computing and know about the basics of database and network deployment.