IBM Cognos 8 Report Studio Cookbook
|Also available on:|
- Learn advanced techniques to produce real-life reports that meet business demands
- Tricks and hacks for speedy and effortless report development and to overcome tool-based limitations
- Peek into the best practices used in industry and discern ways to work like a pro
- Part of Packt's Cookbook series-each recipe is a carefully organized sequence of instructions to complete the task as efficiently as possible
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 252 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : June 2010
ISBN : 1849680345
ISBN 13 : 9781849680349
Author(s) : Abhishek Sanghani
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Enterprise, IBM
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Report Authoring Basic Concepts
Chapter 2: Advanced Report Authoring
Chapter 4: Tips and Tricks: Report Page
Chapter 5: XML Editing
Chapter 6: Writing Printable Reports
Chapter 7: Working with Dimensional Models
Chapter 8: Macros
Chapter 9: Using Report Studio Better
Chapter 10: Some More Useful Recipes
Chapter 11: Best Practices
Appendix: Recommendations and References
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- Learn basic and advanced options around sorting, filtering, and aggregation of data
- Explore the powerful features of Report Studio—Conditional Formatting, Cascaded Prompts, Master-Detailed queries, and more
- Achieve real business demands such as dynamic drill-though links, showing tooltips, minimum column width, prompt manipulation, and merged cells
- Learn to edit reports outside Report Studio using XML editing
- Develop sophisticated printer friendly reports
- Overcome tool limitations such as row level formatting, timing report execution, handling missing images, and so on
- Learn tips on report development time
- Introduce best practices such as inserting comments, regression testing, and version controlling in your reports
- Enhance the features of Report Studio by using macros
- Work with dimensional models (DMRs and Cubes)
Cognos Report Studio is widely used for creating and managing business reports in medium to large companies. It is simple enough for any business analyst, power user, or developer to pick up and start developing basic reports. However, when it comes to developing more sophisticated, fully functional business reports for wider audiences, report authors will need guidance.
This book helps you understand and use all the features provided by Report Studio to generate impressive deliverables. It will take you from being a beginner to a professional report author. It bridges the gap between basic training provided by manuals or trainers and the practical techniques learned over years of practice.
This book covers all the basic and advanced features of Report Authoring. It begins by bringing readers on the same platform and introducing the fundamental features useful across any level of reporting. Then it ascends to advanced techniques and tricks to overcome Studio limitations.Develop excellent reports using dimensional data sources by following best practices that development work requires in Report Studio. You will also learn about editing the report outside the Studio by directly editing the XML specifications.
Learn techniques and hacks to make the best out of your Cognos 8 Report Studio
Written in cookbook style, this book offers learning and techniques through recipes. It contains step-by-step instructions for Report Studio 8 users to author effective reports. The book is designed in such a way that you can refer to things chapter by chapter, and read them in no particular order.
You will see a new fictional business case in each recipe that will relate to a real-life problem and then you will learn how to crack it in Report Studio.
Who this book is for
If you are a Business Intelligence or MIS Developer (programmer) working on Cognos Report Studio who wants to author impressive reports by putting to use what this tool has to offer, this book is for you. You could also be a Business Analyst or Power User who authors his own reports and wants to look beyond the conventional features of Report Studio 8.
This book assumes that you can do basic authoring, are aware of the Cognos architecture, and are familiar with Studio.