HTML5 Mobile Development Cookbook
|Also available on:|
- Solve your cross platform development issues by implementing device and content adaptation recipes.
- Maximum action, minimum theory allowing you to dive straight into HTML5 mobile web development.
- Incorporate HTML5-rich media and geo-location into your mobile websites.
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 254 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : February 2012
ISBN : 1849691967
ISBN 13 : 9781849691963
Author(s) : Shi Chuan
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Mobile, Cookbooks, Open Source
Table of ContentsPreface
Chapter 1: HTML5 and the Mobile Web
Chapter 2: Mobile Setup and Optimization
Chapter 3: Interactive Media with Mobile Events
Chapter 4: Building Fast and Responsive Websites
Chapter 5: Mobile Device Access
Chapter 6: Mobile Rich Media
Chapter 7: Mobile Debugging
Chapter 8: Server-Side Tuning
Chapter 9: Mobile Performance Testing
Chapter 10: Emerging Mobile Web Features
- Chapter 1: HTML5 and the Mobile Web
- Setting up mobile development tools
- BlackBerry simulator
- Setting up the mobile development environment
- Using HTML5 on the mobile web
- Rendering HTML5 across different browsers
- Designing for mobile
- Defining a content strategy
- Chapter 2: Mobile Setup and Optimization
- Adding a home screen button icon
- Preventing text resize
- Optimizing viewport width
- Fixing Mobile Safari screen re-flow scale
- Launching phone-specific programs from the browser
- Enabling iPhone start screen in full screen mode
- Prevent iOS from zooming onfocus
- Disabling or limiting WebKit features
- Chapter 3: Interactive Media with Mobile Events
- Moving an element with touch events
- Detecting and handling orientation event
- Rotating an HTML element with gesture events
- Making a carousel with swipe events
- Zooming an image with gesture events
- Chapter 4: Building Fast and Responsive Websites
- Building pages using HTML5 semantics
- Using CSS3 features for progressive enhancement
- Applying responsive design
- Optimizing polyfills script loading
- Applying user agent detection
- Adding mobile bookmark bubble to the home page
- Building Contact page with textarea and autogrow forms
- Making buttons with instant response
- Hiding WebKit chrome
- Building a mobile sitemap
- Chapter 5: Mobile Device Access
- Getting your location
- Handling cross-browser geolocation
- Displaying a map based on your geolocation
- Displaying location in realtime
- Using the DeviceOrientation event
- Using geolocation with foursquare
- Chapter 6: Mobile Rich Media
- Playing audio on mobile
- Streaming video on your mobile
- Using offline caching
- Using Web Storage on mobile
- Using web workers
- Creating Flash-like navigation with session and history API
- Chapter 7: Mobile Debugging
- Remote debugging with Opera Dragonfly
- Remote debugging with weinre
- Using Firebug on mobile
- Setting up Mobile Safari debugging
- Chapter 8: Server-Side Tuning
- Preventing mobile transcoding
- Adding mobile MIME types
- Making cache manifest display properly
- Setting far future expire headers
- Compressing files using Gzip
- Removing ETags
- Chapter 9: Mobile Performance Testing
- Speed testing your device with Blaze
- Analyzing mobile page speed online
- Analyzing mobile performance with PCAP Web Performance Analyzer
- Using HTTP Archive Mobile
- Storing performance data with Jdrop
- Chapter 10: Emerging Mobile Web Features
- Using ECMAScript 5 methods
- New HTML5 input types
- Inline SVG in text/HTML
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- Master the art of mobile web design for multiple platforms.
- Execute best practice guidelines for cross platform development.
- Create fast and responsive mobile websites.
- Debug mobile websites efficiently and effectively.
- Leverage HTML5 multimedia features such as Canvas and SVG for the mobile web.
- Build HTML5 geo-location based applications.
- Take a sneak peek into the exciting world of emerging mobile web technologies such as AJAX 2.
- Integrate your mobile websites with Facebook and Twitter.
How do I create fast and responsive mobile websites that work across a range of platforms? For developers dealing with the proliferation of mobile devices each with unique screen sizes and performance limitations, it is an important question. This cookbook provides the answer. You will learn how to apply the latest HTML5 mobile web features effectively across a range of mobile devices.
HTML5 Mobile Development Cookbook will show you how to plan, build, debug and optimize mobile websites. Apply the latest HTML5 features that are best for mobile, while discovering emerging mobile web features to integrate in your mobile sites.
Build a rock-solid default mobile HTML template and understand mobile user interaction. Make your site fast and responsive, leveraging the uniqueness of location-based mobile features and mobile rich media. Make your mobile website perfect using debugging, performance optimization and server-side tuning. The book finishes with a sneak preview of future mobile web technologies.
The book is written in a cookbook style, presenting examples in the style of recipes, allowing you to go directly to your topic of interest, or follow topics throughout a chapter to gain in-depth knowledge.
Who this book is for
Developers keen to create HTML5 mobile websites that are fast and responsive across a whole range of mobile devices.