HTML5 Video How-To [Instant]
|Print & eBook also available on:|
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Encode and embed videos into web pages using the HTML5 video standard
- Publish videos to popular sites, such as YouTube or VideoBin
- Provide cross-browser support for HTML5 videos and create your own custom video player using jQuery
Book DetailsLanguage : English
eBook : 82 pages
Release Date : October 2012
ISBN : 1849693641
ISBN 13 : 9781849693646
Author(s) : Alex Libby
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Web Development
Table of ContentsPreface
HTML5 Video How-To
Bonus chapter - HTML5 Audio How-To
- HTML5 Video How-To
- Transcoding a video into HTML5 format (must know)
- Installing playback support (must know)
- Publishing videos (should know)
- Embedding videos—the old school way (must know)
- Embedding a video using HTML5 (become an expert)
- Extending the video code (should know)
- Adding mime types (must know)
- Adding cross-browser support (should know)
- Adding codec definitions (must know)
- Providing fallback support (should know)
- Adapting for iPads/iPhones/Android (should know)
- Setting up VideoJS—an example player (become an expert)
- Setting up Kaltura video—an example player (become an expert)
- Building the video player—the framework (must know)
- Adding controls to your player (must know)
- Styling your video player (should know)
- Adding the jQuery functionality (must know)
- Adding an overlay button (should know)
- Inserting subtitles (should know)
- Providing fall-back support using a polyfill (should know)
- Displaying video through an Overlay (should know)
- Bonus chapter - HTML5 Audio How-To
- This chapter is not present in the book but is available as a free download from:
- http://www.packtpub.com/sites/default/files/downloads/HTML5 Audio How-To.pdf
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Converting videos into a valid HTML5 format
- Setting up playback support for videos from within your web pages or browser
- Embedding videos using the HTML5 standard
- Publishing videos to popular hosting sites, such as YouTube or VideoBin
- Setting up fall-back support for older browsers
- Support for cross-browser playback, using a HTML5 polyfill
- Building your own custom video player using jQuery
- Creating a theme for use with your video player
- Adding subtitles to your video
- Presenting videos using a "lightbox" effect
Publishing videos online has been around for a number of years, although has really taken off with the advent of video sharing sites such as YouTube. The power of video is huge if done well; it can present a lot of information in a more visually engaging manner than using written text and pictures. Done badly though – it can present real problems to the company or individual hosting the video, that have the potential to cause some real harm!
"HTML5 Video How-To" is a practical, hands-on guide that provides you with a number of clear step-by-step exercises, which will help you take advantage of the real power that is behind HTML5 video, and give you a good grounding in using it in your web pages.
This book looks at the HTML5 video formats available, and breaks down the mystery and confusion that surrounds which format to use. It will take you through a number of clear, practical recipes that will help you to take advantage of the new HTML5 video standard, quickly and painlessly.
You will also learn how to build your own video player using jQuery, or by using one of the pre-built libraries available. We will also take a look at adding functionality such as lightbox effects, or subtitles, as well as how to publish videos to popular hosting sites, such as YouTube or VideoBin. If you want to take advantage of using the new HTML5 video format, then this is the book for you.
You will learn everything you need to know to convert videos into the right format, as well as how to display them in your browser or web pages, across multiple platforms.
Filled with practical, step-by-step instructions and clear explanations for the most important and useful tasks. Get the job done and learn as you go. This book takes the How-to series approach to help you learn most important tasks through recipes
Who this book is for
This book is great for developers new to the HTML5 Video standard, and who are looking to get a good grounding in how to use the new format. It's assumed that you will have some experience in HTML and jQuery already, as well as being familiar with embedding videos using current "old school" methods, such as Windows Media Player. Readers are expected to have one or more videos available, which will be used during the exercises within this book.