High Availability MySQL Cookbook
|Also available on:|
- Analyze and learn different high availability options, including clustering and replication solutions within MySQL
- Improve uptime of your MySQL databases with simple recipes showing powerful high availability techniques for MySQL
- Tune your MySQL database for optimal performance.
- The only complete, practical, book of MySQL high availability techniques and tools on the market
- Part of Packt's Cookbook series: Each recipe is a carefully organized sequence of instructions to complete the task as efficiently as possible
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 264 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : April 2010
ISBN : 1847199941
ISBN 13 : 9781847199942
Author(s) : Alex Davies
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Big Data and Business Intelligence, Data, Cookbooks, MySQL, Open Source
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: High Availability with MySQL Cluster
Chapter 2: MySQL Cluster Backup and Recovery
Chapter 3: MySQL Cluster Management
Chapter 4: MySQL Cluster Troubleshooting
Chapter 5: High Availability with MySQL Replication
Chapter 6: High Availability with MySQL and Shared Storage
Chapter 7: High Availability with Block Level Replication
Chapter 8: Performance Tuning
Appendix A: Base Installation
Appendix B: LVM and MySQL
Appendix C: Highly Available Architectures
In conclusion, I like this book. I think it is rather concise, and right to the point, which either gets you started into building HA systems or gives you a good reference for an existing HA environment. Read More
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- Configure a MySQL Cluster for scaling out MySQL
- Learn the technique of taking online backups and recovery
- Achieve high availability with MySQL Replication and various tools such as the open source Multi-Master Replication Manager (MMM) and Flipper projects
- Configure a MySQL replication design to replicate data from one MySQL database server to one or more other MySQL database servers
- Master the safety tricks of replication to prevent replication failure
- Configure a MySQL service to work using a shared storage device to achieve high availability, with and without a clustered filesystem
- Learn to use the open source Global File System (GFS) to have the same file system on more than one node
- Achieve high availability using block level replication with Distributed Replicated Block Device (DRBD)
- Improve your system's performance with the technique of performance tuning
High Availability is something that all web sites hope to achieve, especially those that are linked to big companies.
MySQL, an open source relational database management system (RDBMS), can be made highly available to protect from corruption, hardware failure, software crashes, and user error. Running a MySQL setup is quite simple. Things start getting complex when you start thinking about the best way to provide redundancy. There are a large number of techniques available to add 'redundancy' and 'high availability' to MySQL, but most are both poorly understood and documented.
This book will provide you with recipes showing how to design, implement, and manage a MySQL Cluster and achieve high availability using MySQL replication, block level replication, shared storage, and the open source Global File System (GFS).
This book covers all the major techniques available for increasing availability of your MySQL databases. It demonstrates how to design, implement, troubleshoot and manage a highly available MySQL setup using any one of several techniques, which are shown in different recipes. It is based on MySQL Cluster 7.0, MySQL (for non clustered recipes) 5.0.77, and CentOS / RedHat Enterprise Linux 5.3.
The book starts by introducing MySQL Cluster as a technology and explaining how to set up a simple cluster. It will help you to master the options available for backing up and restoring a file in the MySQL Cluster. By following the practical examples in this book, you will learn how to manage the MySQL Cluster. Further, we will discuss some troubleshooting aspects of the MySQL Cluster.
We also have a look at achieving high availability for MySQL databases with the techniques of MySQL Replication, block level replication, shared storage (a SAN or NAS), and DRBD.
Finally, you will learn the principles of Performance tuning and tune MySQL database for optimal performance.
A cookbook containing recipes for all the common high availability techniques for database administrators to tackle real-world challenges to achieve high availability using MySQL
This book uses the approach of a cookbook. Each recipe provides the reader with easy step-by-step descriptions of the actions necessary to accomplish a specific task. It is designed to present what often appear as extremely complicated techniques as a series of simple-to-follow recipes, allowing readers to achieve high uptimes on their MySQL servers.
Who this book is for
This book is targeted at system administrators or database administrators who have basic familiarity with Linux, the shell, and MySQL. The typical user will be able to get MySQL installed and working, but needs practical guidance to make it highly available.