Instant Google Compute Engine [Instant]
|Print & eBook also available on:|
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results
- Learn how to use Google Compute Engine for your own projects
- Quickly get started using virtual machines on Google Compute Engine
- Understand the fundamental building blocks of Google Compute Engine
- Build resilient applications on top of Google Compute Engine
- Get to know the community around Google Compute Engine
Book DetailsLanguage : English
eBook : 60 pages
Release Date : September 2013
ISBN : 1849697000
ISBN 13 : 9781849697002
Author(s) : Alexander Papaspyrou
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Instant, Virtualization and Cloud
Table of ContentsInstant Google Compute Engine
- Instant Google Compute Engine
- So, what is Google Compute Engine?
- Step 1 – what do I need?
- Step 2 – creating a project on Google Cloud Console
- Step 3 – preparing your computer
- Step 4 – configuring your project
- And that's it
- Quick start – creating your first compute instance
- Step 1 – adding an instance
- Step 2 – logging into your instance
- Step 3 – serving a web page
- Step 4 – deleting your instance
- Top 5 features you need to know about
- Managing a project
- Running a compute instance
- Starting an instance
- Checking the status of an instance
- Logging in to your instance
- Transferring files from and to an instance
- Restarting your instance
- Deleting an instance
- Setting up and securing your network
- The network object
- The firewall object
- The routes object
- Attaching disks to your machines and taking snapshots
- Scratch disks
- Persistent disks
- Using regions and zones
- People and places you should get to know
- Official sites
- Articles and tutorials
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Learn how to set up a project within Google Compute Engine
- Manage virtual machines from the command line and the Web UI
- Set up and secure your network
- Attach disks to your machines and take snapshots
- Handle ephemeral and persistent data
- Migrate within the Google infrastructure
- Use regions and zones
- Build fault-tolerant applications within Google Compute Engine
Google Compute Engine allows developers and administrators to provision new machines for development, testing, quality assurance, and production in an on-the- spot manner, without having to host hardware. Google Compute Engine is quite powerful and used in the right way, and it can provide services to a large customer base, at a modest and controllable investment.
"Instant Google Compute Engine" is a practical, hands-on guide that provides you with the necessary background to operate a Cloud infrastructure in a cost-efficient way. With this book, you will learn how to utilize the power of one of the largest Infrastructure-as-a-Service providers. You will learn everything you need to know to deliver your service offering on top of Cloud technology, at a high quality and with low cost.
This book looks at the fundamentals of Google Compute Engine. It will teach you about the background of Cloud computing and will get you started with preparing your computer to use Google Compute Engine. It will then walk you through an example project in a hands-on manner.
You will also learn how to use and integrate the various building blocks Google Compute Engine provides its users. You will look at compute nodes and network management within your Google Compute Engine infrastructure as well as how to take advantage of the global storage platform to securely and efficiently distribute your data and how to build fault-tolerant services for your business on top of this. If you want to take advantage of Infrastructure-as-a-Service within the Google services, then this book is for you.
You will learn everything you need to run your business on Google Compute Engine, build and scale your infrastructure, and make the most out of Cloud computing.
Get to grips with a new technology, understand what it is and what it can do for you, and then get to work with the most important features and tasks. This book is a step-by-step guide to installing and using Google Compute Engine.
Who this book is for
"Instant Google Compute Engine" is great for developers and operators who are new to Cloud computing, and who are looking to get a good grounding in using Infrastructure-as-a-Service as part of their daily work. It’s assumed that you will have some experience with the Linux operating system as well as familiarity with the concept of virtualization technologies, such as VMware, Xen, or Hyper-V. Readers are expected to have a credit card available, which will be necessary for using Google Compute Engine to run the book’s examples on their own.