|Also available on:|
- Get GlassFish installed and configured ready for use
- Integrate GlassFish with popular Open Source products such as Open MQ, Open DS, and Apache Active MQ, and get them working together in a loosely-coupled manner
- Configure resource types like JDBC, Java Connector Architecture (JCA), JavaMail Sessions, and Custom JNDI supported in GlassFish to simplify resource access and integration
- Secure, monitor, troubleshoot, and tune your application server instance
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 284 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : December 2009
ISBN : 1847196500
ISBN 13 : 9781847196507
Author(s) : Xuekun Kou
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Networking and Servers, Java, Open Source
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Getting Started
Chapter 2: Understanding the GlassFish Server Architecture
Chapter 3: Managing Applications on GlassFish
Chapter 4: Configuring Containers and Essential Services
Chapter 5: Configuring GlassFish Resources
Chapter 6: Configuring JMS Resources
Chapter 7: Securing GlassFish
Chapter 8: Monitoring GlassFish
Chapter 9: Configuring Clusters and High Availability
Chapter 10: Troubleshooting and Tuning GlassFish
Chapter 11: Working with GlassFish 3
GlassFish Administration is a new book from Packt Publishing that emphasizes administration of the excellent GlassFish AS. I read the sample chapter and found it well written, illustrated generously with easy to read diagrams and friendly screenshots.
Glassfish Administration, by Xuekun Kou is accurate, concise and useful and Packt has done a nice job on this aspect of the product. If you are looking for well written and balanced handbook in support of your Glassfish installation or application development project, then this book needs to be on your list of titles to consider.
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- Manage the modules you need for the GlassFish server using the GlassFish update tool
- Deploy and configure the GlassFish server for several common types of applications that do not access a lot of external resources, such as transaction services and mail session components
- Configure the web and EJB containers in GlassFish to support applications deployed to the GlassFish Server
- Configure two popular open source JMS service providers, the Open Message Queue (Open MQ) and Apache ActiveMQ, in GlassFish
- Secure both the GlassFish server and applications deployed to it
- Get familiar with the utilities used to establish a secure runtime environment for GlassFish
- Cluster multiple GlassFish server instances to improve throughput and availability
- Monitor and maintain the GlassFish server runtime using the monitoring features of GlassFish
- Configure clusters for the GlassFish Server, and use a load balancer to distribute load across the server instances in the cluster
- Plan and create a production-ready GlassFish Server deployment
- Benefit from the improvement and significant growth along with new features in GlassFish version 3
To build a powerful production environment for your Java EE systems, you need a great application server, and the skills to manage it. This book gives you all that you are looking for.
This book will help you gain the necessary skills to install, configure, tune, and troubleshoot GlassFish so that you can fully unleash its power. It will teach you how to use the GlassFish application server, with a special focus on administration tasks. It presents the GlassFish administrative tasks in a logical sequence, with each chapter focusing on a specific topic.
Starting with installation and moving through configuration, this book takes a careful look at the administration console so that you get a complete understanding of GlassFish and its administrative features. It will help you understand how to deploy Java EE, Ruby on Rails and other supported applications to GlassFish, and how to configure the necessary resources for these applications. You will also learn how to maintain, tune, and troubleshoot your GlassFish server. Also includes a bonus chapter introducing Glassfish v3.
This book presents a well-balanced mixture of concepts and hands-on tutorial on administering the GlassFish Application Server.
This book provides an in-depth tutorial on administering the GlassFish application server. Every chapter starts with a clear discussion of the involved concepts, followed by step-by-step instructions on how to perform the administrative task. Clear illustrations and complete working code examples are used to help you visualize the relevant topics.
Who this book is for
If you are a Java EE application developer and architect who builds and deploys Java EE, Ruby on Rails, and other supported applications for the GlassFish Application Server, then this book is for you. This book is also very valuable if you are an administrator responsible for maintaining the GlassFish Server runtime. Basic knowledge of Java EE 5 is assumed but you need not have any previous knowledge of GlassFish. Those who already know the basics of GlassFish will still find this book useful as they will gain knowledge of administration tasks.