Getting Started with Beautiful Soup
|Also available on:|
- Learn about the features of Beautiful Soup with Python
- Understand how to use a simple method to extract information from websites using Beautiful Soup and the Python urllib2 module
- Master searching, navigation, content modification, encoding, and output methods quickly and efficiently
- Try out the example code and get to grips with Beautiful Soup easily
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 130 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : January 2014
ISBN : 1783289554
ISBN 13 : 9781783289554
Author(s) : Vineeth G. Nair
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Web Development, Open Source
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Installing Beautiful Soup
Chapter 2: Creating a BeautifulSoup Object
Chapter 3: Search Using Beautiful Soup
Chapter 4: Navigation Using Beautiful Soup
Chapter 5: Modifying Content Using Beautiful Soup
Chapter 6: Encoding Support in Beautiful Soup
Chapter 7: Output in Beautiful Soup
Chapter 8: Creating a Web Scraper
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- Learn how to scrape HTML pages from websites
- Implement a simple method to scrape any website with the help of developer tools, the Python urllib2 module, and Beautiful Soup
- Learn how to search for information within an HTML/XML page
- Modify the contents of an HTML tree
- Understand encoding support in Beautiful Soup
- Learn about the different types of output formatting
Beautiful Soup is a Python library designed for quick turnaround projects like screen-scraping. Beautiful Soup provides a few simple methods and Pythonic idioms for navigating, searching, and modifying a parse tree: a toolkit for dissecting a document and extracting what you need without writing excess code for an application. It doesn't take much code to write an application using Beautiful Soup.
Getting Started with Beautiful Soup is a practical guide to Beautiful Soup using Python. The book starts by walking you through the installation of each and every feature of Beautiful Soup using simple examples which include sample Python codes as well as diagrams and screenshots wherever required for better understanding. The book discusses the problems of how exactly you can get data out of a website and provides an easy solution with the help of a real website and sample code.
Getting Started with Beautiful Soup goes over the different methods to install Beautiful Soup in both Linux and Windows systems. You will then learn about searching, navigating, content modification, encoding support, and output formatting with the help of examples and sample Python codes for each example so that you can try them out to get a better understanding. This book is a practical guide for scraping information from any website. If you want to learn how to efficiently scrape pages from websites, then this book is for you.
This book is a practical, hands-on guide that takes you through the techniques of web scraping using Beautiful Soup.
Who this book is for
Getting Started with Beautiful Soup is great for anybody who is interested in website scraping and extracting information. However, a basic knowledge of Python, HTML tags, and CSS is required for better understanding.