Getting Started with Apache Maven [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results
- Covers everything from basic dependencies to complex multi-module projects
- Demonstrates the key concept of project building logically
- Loaded with examples, motivated by typical build challenges
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Monday, September 30, 2013
Course Length : 2 hour and 15 minutes
ISBN : 178216572X
ISBN 13 : 9781782165729
Author(s) : Russell Gold
Topics and Technologies : Video, e-Learning, Open Source
Table of Contents
- Introduction [18:29 minutes]
- Introduction to Apache Maven
- Installing Apache Maven
- Understanding the Maven Repository
- Understanding the Maven Lifecycle
- Understanding the Role of Plugins
- Dependencies [14:25 minutes]
- Introducing Maven Dependencies
- Controlling Maven Classpaths
- Maven and Transitive Dependencies
- Managing Dependencies that All Projects Need – Part 1
- Managing Dependencies that All Projects Need – Part 2
- Plugins [16:14 minutes]
- Introducing Maven Plugins
- Adding Steps to a Maven Build
- Code Generation
- Managing Plugins with a Parent POM
- Finding Available Plugins
- Controlling the Build [17:16 minutes]
- Maven Build Properties
- Maven Profiles
- Profile Activation via Properties
- Profile Activation via Environment
- User Settings, Profiles and Repositories
- The Project Website [18:14 minutes]
- The Basic Website and Reports
- Using Report Plugins
- Creating Custom Pages
- FAQ (frequently asked question) Pages and Site Appearance
- Deploying to a Web Server
- The Maven Release Process [18:40 minutes]
- Deploying to a Repository
- Using Snapshots
- Preparing for a Release
- Releasing Maven Artifacts
- Preparing for an Open Source Release
- Publishing to Maven Central
- Multi-module Projects [12:42 minutes]
- Understanding the Multi-module Project
- Incremental Building with Multiple Modules
- Building a Website for a Multi-module project
- Releasing the Multi-module Project
- Maven Tricks and Patterns [19:47 minutes]
- Invoking Ant from Maven
- Accessing Maven Artifacts from Ant
- Building a Simple Installer
- Running Functional Tests
- Disabling Default Plugin Bindings and Excluding Transitive Dependencies
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Govern the Maven repository, and the idea of collaborative development
- Discover how to specify dependencies and get transitive dependencies
- Add and customize the standard build steps
- Explore the use of parent projects and management sections
- Find out how Maven simplifies the creation of project websites
- Get to grips with simple ways to enable reports such as test coverage and standards compliance
- Release a Maven project to an internal or external repository
- Create and manage a multi-module project
Who this video course is for
"Getting Started with Apache Maven" is intended for Java developers. Knowledge of ANT and Maven would be helpful, but is not essential.
Building projects rapidly and incrementally is a critical part of a developer’s job. "Getting Started with Apache Maven" will show you how to take advantage of the common elements of project building and implement effective methods to solve frequently encountered problems, as well as facilitating collaborative development among projects.
"Getting Started with Apache Maven" will introduce you to the world of synergized development in the Maven ecosystem. The course logically explains the various concepts of the tool, and shows how to proceed from simple assignments to complex ones.
Maven is not simply a tool to invoke compilers and utilities, but it is also an approach to easily constructing your project by accessing its ever-expanding world of tools and libraries.
You will learn how to pull in dependencies simply by specifying their coordinates, how to customize your lifecycle with plugins, and see how easy it can be to create a project website. You will see how to generate reports on your code that will enable understanding and will let you know when your developers are running into problems. You will understand how to scale up from simple projects to multi-module ones.
This video course walks you through the steps by presenting examples, starting with very basic ones, and growing to more elaborate ones once you have mastered the basics.
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
The video course entails a crisp demonstration of the concepts of building projects through Apache Maven backed by practical and illustrative examples.