Excel 2013 Dashboard Design [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results.
- Utilize your existing data and turn it into valuable business intelligence
- Present key information with straightforward, eye-catching reports
- Build highly interactive reports using some of the best new features in Excel 2013
- Implementation of these techniques is made simple with this easy to follow, step by step guide
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Friday, May 31, 2013
Course Length : 2 hours and 32 mins
ISBN : 1849696381
ISBN 13 : 9781849696388
Author(s) : Tony Kau
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Enterprise Products and Platforms, Video, Microsoft
Table of Contents
- Dashboard Outputs and Inputs [16:39 mins]
- Beginning with the End in Mind
- Empowering your Audience
- Connecting to MS Access
- Connecting to MS SQL Server
- Using Data in your Excel Sheet
- Working with Pivot Tables [15:47 mins]
- Importing Data into PowerPivot
- Adding Data from Excel to PowerPivot
- PowerPivot Relationships and Hierarchy
- Creating Calculated Fields
- Implementing KPIs
- Constructing Your Framework [21:47 mins]
- Constructing PivotTables (part 1)
- Constructing PivotTables (part 2)
- PivotTable Formatting and Options
- PivotTable Design and Layout
- Adding a Calculated Field and KPI
- Stylizing Your Data [19:04 mins]
- Creating a PivotChart
- Customizing a PivotChart
- Creating a Combo Chart
- Customizing a Combo Chart
- Creating Text-Highlight Cells
- Adding Interactivity [24:45 mins]
- Formatting the Dashboard Sheet
- Referencing a PivotTable
- Conditional Formatting
- Implementing Sparklines
- Enhancing Sparklines Using Named Ranges
- Utilizing Power Pivot [16:38 mins]
- Implementing Slicers
- Customizing Slicers
- Employing Timelines
- Utilizing Hyperlinks
- Implementing Power View [15:29 mins]
- Creating a Power View
- Adding Drill-Downs in Power View
- Using Filters in Power View
- Implementing Tiles in Power View
- Visualizing Multiples in Power View
- Publishing Your Dashboard [22:38 mins]
- Cleaning Up & Locking Down
- Backwards Compatibility and SharePoint Distribution
- Sharing on Microsoft SkyDrive
- Publishing on Office 365 SharePoint
- Printing and Exporting to PDF
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Master the dashboard planning and design process by incorporating feedback from your audience, setting yourself up for success
- Import data from your SQL or Access Database, or another spreadsheet, so that you can utilize all the relevant data in your dashboard
- Implement PowerPivot as a flexible aggregation point for all your data, creating a bridge between Excel and your data sources
- Utilize PivotTables to aggregate, slice, and present data exactly how your audience needs to see it
- Deploy PivotCharts to effectively illustrate trends and metrics to your audience
- Stylize and enhance your dashboard with conditional formatting and SparkLines to quickly communicate KPIs to your stakeholders
- Add interactive features that put your audience in control of the data that they see, allowing them to drill down and focus on what is important to them
- Quickly create a sleek and powerful dashboard using the new Power View feature
- Explore the publishing options for your dashboard and deploy it using the most effective medium for your audience
Who this video course is for
If you want to substantially increase your value to any organization, as an employee, consultant, or freelancer, opening up the door for raises, promotions, or additional contracts, then dashboard design is an extremely worthwhile and marketable skill to learn. If you’re an analyst of any kind, you know the value of effectively presenting your work. This course is designed to take your intermediate-level Excel skills to the next level and beyond.
As businesses collect increasing amounts of vital data, the need for an effective and intuitive interface increases every day. Excel 2013 is a natural tool to handle these business intelligence projects because you’re working in a familiar environment and harnessing Microsoft’s powerful enterprise-level software. This video course provides you with all the information you need to know to create a fully interactive dashboard, making you invaluable to your organization.
Excel 2013 Dashboard Design will show you how to turn your organization’s data into a powerful and interactive dashboard. By learning these easy-to-implement, advanced techniques, you can impress and empower the decision-makers in your organization, making you an irreplaceable asset.
Excel 2013 Dashboard Design begins by creating a vision for the dashboard with the help of stakeholders, and then moves on to gathering the data and building each element of the dashboard. The course ends with comparing distribution strategies appropriate for every size and type of organization.
The first section, Outputs and Inputs, covers the strategic aspects of planning your finished product and bringing in all of the necessary data from your database or Excel workbook. We then explore PowerPivot, a powerful bridge between your raw data and Excel. PivotTables will help us slice our data in a flexible manner, and Charts give us at-a-glance comprehension of important metrics and trends. Stylizing and Interactivity enhance the user experience and present the information in a manageable format. Publication can be problematic without proper planning, but we’ll cover the most effective ways to distribute your dashboard to any type or size of audience.
Excel 2013 Dashboard Design will guide you through your entire project, start to finish, covering every part of the process in depth. Since you’ll not only learn how to do each task, but also why it would be beneficial for you, you’ll be able to easily translate your learning into your own dashboard design project.
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
In this course, every step is demonstrated on-screen and explained practically, so you can effectively apply the techniques to your own projects. Learning the “why” behind each task is the key to being able to implement what you learn, and this is emphasized with every stride along the way