Drupal 7 Multi Sites Configuration
|Also available on:|
- Prepare your server for hosting multiple sites
- Configure and install several sites on one instance of Drupal
- Manage and share themes and modules across the multi-site configuration
Use the hashtag #PacktDrupalMS on Twitter to discuss the book with the author, fellow readers, and Packt.
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 100 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : March 2012
ISBN : 1849518009
ISBN 13 : 9781849518000
Author(s) : Matt Butcher
Topics and Technologies : All Books, CMS and eCommerce, Drupal, Open Source, Web Development
Table of ContentsPreface
Chapter 1: Multi-site Drupal
Chapter 2: Installing Drupal for Multi-site
Chapter 3: Settings, Modules, and Themes
Chapter 4: Updating Multi-site Drupal
Chapter 5: Advanced Multi-sites
- Chapter 1: Multi-site Drupal
- Drupal is a multi-site Content Management System
- From one site to many
- Why multi-site?
- Running different software on the same site
- Making the most of shared hosting
- Easing server administration
- Staging or testing before deploying to a live site
- Sharing a single code base
- Running secure and standard (unsecured) tools on the same server
- Efficient development
- Drupal and multi-site
- A quick guide to choosing the right multi-site configuration
- Setting up a server
- Installing a Drupal Virtual Machine with Vagrant
- Installing our tailored Vagrant project
- Basic configuration for this book
- Connecting to the new Virtual Machine
- Configuring a server (without VirtualBox and Vagrant)
- Domain names and IP addresses
- Using a hosts file
- Web servers
- Configuring Apache for a Drupal Multi-site
- A note on using virtual hosting for each domain
- Configuring MySQL
- Chapter 2: Installing Drupal for Multi-site
- Manual setup
- Downloading Drupal
- Installing the first host
- Telling Drupal about our sites
- Creating a site folder
- Domain name directories
- Domains with subdirectories
- The sites.php special configuration file
- The files/ folder
- The web installer
- Creating the other sites
- Getting installation help
- Chapter 3: Settings, Modules, and Themes
- Configuring sites
- Creating a shared configuration file
- A word of warning about sharing settings
- Configuring modules
- Sharing modules
- Unshared modules
- A note on using different versions of the same module
- Modules and sharing (in summary)
- Subthemes and sharing
- Chapter 4: Updating Multi-site Drupal
- Updating Drupal
- Making backups
- Filesystem backups
- Database backups
- Putting Drupal in maintenance mode
- Downloading and installing Drupal
- Fetching a new version
- Overwriting the existing files
- Checking the default.settings.php file
- Running update.php
- Taking the sites out of maintenance mode
- Updating themes and modules
- A minor complication
- Chapter 5: Advanced Multi-sites
- Favicons and robots
- Shared authentication
- OpenID and other authentication services
- LDAP and Directory services
- Using the Services module
- Using Bakery for SSO
- Sharing a user database
- Shared content
- Sharing content with Services and Deploy
- Domain Access as a multi-site alternative
- The Virtual Site module
- Shared structure
- Searching across sites
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Errata- 4 submitted: last submission 07 Jan 2013
Errata type: Language | Page number: 6 | Errata date: 25 July 12
On the About the Reviewers page, under the bio of Sree (a.k.a. Veturi JV Subramanyeswari):
Prior to joining this company, she served few Indian MNCs, many start ups, R&D sectors in various roles such as Programmer, Tech Lead, Research Assistant, and so on.
Prior to joining this company, she served a few Indian MNCs, many start ups, R&D sectors in various roles such as Programmer, Tech Lead, Research Assistant, and so on.
Errata type: Typo | Page number: 17 | Errata date: 25 July 12
In the first bullet point: You can start its back up with vagrant up.
You can start it back up with vagrant up.
Errata type: Typo | Page number: 42 | Errata date: 25 July 12
On the first line: Following are the best resources for trouble shooting a Drupal installation...
Following are the best resources for troubleshooting a Drupal installation...
Errata type: Typo | Page number: 42 | Errata date: 25 July 12
There is a closing bracket missing on the first line: The command compares the drupal-7.12 directory with the www directory (which holds our existing site code.
The command compares the drupal-7.12 directory with the www directory (which holds our existing site code).
What you will learn from this book
- Configure MySQL and Apache for hosting multiple sites
- Prepare Drupal 7 to host more than one site
- Install several sites on one instance of Drupal
- Manage, share, or isolate modules and themes in a multi-site configuration
- Care for your multi-site server, safely managing and upgrading it
- Rapidly build a multi-site testing environment with VirtualBox and Vagrant
- Extend the core multi-site configuration with add-on modules
Drupal is one of the most powerful PHP Content Management Systems there is. However, why would you install a CMS for every site you build? With just one copy of Drupal you can host several sites. Drupal has long had multi-site support, and Drupal 7’s support is even better than previous versions.
Drupal 7 Multi-Sites Configuration will teach you how to host several websites on a single copy of Drupal. You will learn how to create different sites, each with its own domain, content, and theme. This valuable information will help you to save time by managing modules and sharing them across several sites as well as administering your sites all in one place.
This book will show you how to configure a system for multi-site, and then install several sites on one copy of Drupal, all with their own domain name and database. Learn how to install and share modules and themes, configure Apache, PHP, and MySQL for multi-site, and then manage the site. Once your site system is successfully set up, discover some of the advanced configurations possible with Drupal multi-site, as well as how to upgrade and maintain your sites.
Follow the creation of a multi-site instance with Drupal. The practical examples and accompanying screenshots will help you to get multiple Drupal sites set up in no time.
Who this book is for
This book is for Drupal site builders. It is assumed that readers are familiar with Drupal already, with a basic grasp of its concepts and components. System administration concepts, such as configuring Apache, MySQL, and Vagrant are covered but no previous knowledge of these tools is required.