DotNetNuke 5.4 Cookbook
|Also available on:|
- Create and customize your own DotNetNuke website with blog, forums, newsletters, wikis and many more popular website features
- Learn custom module development and rich content management with sample code and tips
- Provides samples of styling and skinning a DotNetNuke portal
- Offers advanced programming tips combining DNN with AJAX and JQuery
- Part of Packt's Cookbook series: Each recipe is a carefully organized sequence of instructions to complete the task as efficiently as possible
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 432 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : September 2010
ISBN : 1849511683
ISBN 13 : 9781849511681
Author(s) : John K Murphy
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Cookbooks, Content Management (CMS), DotNetNuke, .NET, Open Source
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Installation and Setup
Chapter 2: Managing Users and Site Setup
Chapter 3: Easy Tricks with Existing Modules
Chapter 4: Creating your Own Modules
Chapter 5: Building, Debugging, and Deploying Modules
Chapter 6: Data Entry Tricks
Chapter 7: Cool Web Controls
Chapter 8: Basic Skinning
Chapter 9: Working with Foreign Languages
Chapter 10: Advanced Tricks with Existing Modules
Chapter 11: Challenging Custom Modules
Chapter 12: Advanced Modules and Security
Chapter 13: Advanced Skinning
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- Build a website using the DotNetNuke content management system
- Create forums, blogs, wikis, and newsletters to publish your content
- Create multiple portals to manage the pages of your site efficiently
- Set up and administer users with different security providers
- Build your own custom modules using VB.NET
- Configure the development tool for module debugging
- Customize the look and feel of you DNN website by styling it with custom skins
- Use the DNN localization tools and API to support multiple languages in one website
- Create your own reusable skin widgets
- Use AJAX and jQuery libraries with DotNetNuke
DotNetNuke is a powerful and flexible content management system for building websites. It comes with many features for publishing content including tools to create Blogs, Banner Advertising, News Feeds, and much more. But setting up a fully featured website and customizing a complete content management system using the open source DotNetNuke package can be challenging. There are multiple pieces involved and each piece must be correct for the whole to work.
The recipes in this book will safely navigate you around the obstacles and have your own full-featured website using the DotNetNuke CMS with blogs, forums, wikis, user security, and much more up and running in no time. This book will also help you to build your own custom modules using VB.Net and restyle them with your own custom skins.
This book is an indispensible guide for installing, configuring and customizing a DotNetNuke website. It starts by explaining how to download and install DotNetNuke and then covers how to make the most of all the features such as blogs, forums, wikis, banner ads, newsletters, surveys and much more. When you've tried all the available modules, you will find recipes for creating your own custom modules: the tools you need, how to set up a development environment, how to use the DotNetNuke starter kit, and how to compile and deploy modules. Further, there are recipes for designing a database, creating stored procedures and debugging modules. You'll also learn the techniques of styling your website using skins and even how to create a site with multiple languages.
Create and customize your own fully featured DotNetNuke website
This is a cookbook: each chapter contains a selection of useful self-contained recipes. The book begins with simple recipes for installing and configuring DotNetNuke then offers recipes for using out-of-the-box modules before delving into custom module and skin development.
Who this book is for
If you are a .NET developer with beginner to intermediate knowledge of Visual Basic or C# and want to develop a website/CMS using DotNetNuke, this book is for you.
Familiarity with DNN operation, CSS, and basic web development (ASP.NET) skills is required.