Developing Mobile Games with Moai SDK
|Also available on:|
- Develop games for multiple platforms with a single code base
- Understand the basics of Moai SDK
- Build two prototype games including one with physics
- Deploy your game to iPhone’
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 136 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : March 2013
ISBN : 1782165061
ISBN 13 : 9781782165064
Author(s) : Francisco Tufró
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Game Development, Open Source
Table of ContentsPreface
Chapter 1: Why Moai SDK?
Chapter 2: Installing Moai SDK
Chapter 3: Basic Moai SDK Concepts
Chapter 4: Our First Game with Moai
Chapter 5: Showing Images on the Screen
Chapter 6: Resource Manager
Chapter 7: Concentration Gameplay
Chapter 8: Let's Build a Platformer!
Chapter 9: Real-world Physics with Box2D
Chapter 10: Creating a HUD
Chapter 11: Let the Right Music In!
Chapter 12: iOS Deployment
Chapter 13: Deployment to Other Platforms
- Chapter 1: Why Moai SDK?
- Multi-platform development
- Why Moai SDK?
- Chapter 2: Installing Moai SDK
- Getting the latest stable build
- Setting up the environment
- Mac OS X
- Running samples
- Chapter 3: Basic Moai SDK Concepts
- The Moai SDK Runtime
- Input Queue
- Action Tree
- Node Graph
- Moai Hosts
- Lua and C++
- Chapter 4: Our First Game with Moai
- Project setup
- Opening a window
- Resolution independence
- Chapter 5: Showing Images on the Screen
- Introduction to Decks and Props
- Our first image
- Coordinate systems
- Window/Screen coordinates
- World coordinates
- Model coordinates
- Blend modes
- Chapter 6: Resource Manager
- Resource definitions
- Resource manager
- Tiled images
- Chapter 7: Concentration Gameplay
- The implementation
- Input processing
- Choosing a cell
- Tile swapping
- Resetting tiles
- Removing tiles
- Other auxiliary methods
- Chapter 8: Let's Build a Platformer!
- Camera and scrolling
- Setting up the layers
- Adding images to the different distances
- Main character
- Chapter 9: Real-world Physics with Box2D
- Creating the world
- Box2D body types
- Character versus the world
- Keyboard input
- Creating the scene
- Chapter 10: Creating a HUD
- The basics
- Left or right, that's the question
- Updating information
- Chapter 11: Let the Right Music In!
- Audio manager
- Background music
- Sound effects
- Chapter 12: iOS Deployment
- Xcode project
- The host
- Running an example
- Setting up our own project
- Pointing to the correct source code
- Fixing source paths
- Fixing include paths
- Fixing linked libraries
- Going multi-platform
- Running on the device
- Chapter 13: Deployment to Other Platforms
- Mac OS X
- Google Chrome (native client)
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Display images and play sounds
- Iterate on gameplay implementation using Lua
- Group your code in modules to make it maintainable
- Work with Grids to manage rendering and gameplay
- Build a game with physics
- Animate a character and make it move with the keyboard
- Work with the camera and create some nice parallax effects
- Save memory and loading time using caching
- Deploy your game to iPhone and iPad
Moai SDK is a fast, minimalist, open-source Lua mobile framework for pro game developers. Moai is built around Lua, a common programming language for games, and offers a single open-source platform for both the front-end elements seen by consumers and the back-end infrastructure.
Developing Mobile Games with Moai SDK will guide you through the creation of two game prototypes in a step-by-step way, giving you the basic tools you need in order to create your own games.
Developing Mobile Games with Moai SDK introduces the basic concepts behind game development, and takes you through the development of a tile-based memotest, and a platform game prototype as well. You'll end up with a good codebase to start writing your own games.
You will learn some tricks that come from real life experience while creating a small framework that will allow you to display images, play sounds, grab input, and so on. You'll also learn how to implement physics using Box2D bindings, and everything in Lua, without having to use any compilations. After doing this, we'll take a look at how to deploy your game to iOS and run it on an iPhone.
With this book, you should be ready to go and create your own game, release it to the Apple Store, and have enough tools to dig deeper into Moai SDK.
A normal step-by-step tutorial with two sample games built in, to teach Moai SDK from scratch.
Who this book is for
This book is for anyone who wants to build games, especially if they want to quickly iterate using a scripting language like Lua, and they're targeting more than one platform. All of this without having to spend your salary on licenses. Moai SDK is aimed to professionals, but it has a great community that will help you learn and be a part of it.