Instant CakePHP Starter [Instant]
|Print & eBook also available on:|
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Focus on an iterative practical approach to learn the myriad features of CakePHP
- Learn about Models, Views, and Controllers as well as scaffolding, themes, behaviors, and routing
- Scaffold and generate your application code using the command-line “bake” tool almost exclusively
Book DetailsLanguage : English
eBook : 76 pages
Release Date : April 2013
ISBN : 1782162607
ISBN 13 : 9781782162605
Author(s) : Mark Robert Henderson
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Instant, Web Development, Open Source, PHP
Table of ContentsInstant CakePHP Starter
- Instant CakePHP Starter
- So, what is CakePHP?
- CakePHP – the short story
- Why CakePHP – making the short story long
- CakePHP to the rescue!
- Model-View-Controller – what is that all about?
- Step 1 – preparing the development environment
- The HTTP server (Apache)
- The database layer (MySQL)
- Source control
- Step 2 – getting and installing the CakePHP application
- Base install
- Cleaning up the errors on the home page
- Step 3 – setting up the production deployment
- Binding your MySQL database to your application
- Changing the file for deployment
- Downloading the af command-line tool
- Pushing your code
- And that's it!
- Quickstart – building a web application
- Step 1 – architecture
- The models
- The controllers
- The views
- Step 2 – scaffolding with the command-line tool
- Creating the schema definition
- Creating the database schema
- Creating the models
- Creating the controllers
- Creating the views
- Step 3 – taking a look at our scaffolded app
- Step 4 – what else does "bake" do for us?
- API documentation
- Internationalization, or i18n
- Generating .pot files
- Step 5 – deploying to production
- Pushing the code
- Updating the database
- Step 6 – congratulations!
- Top 6 features you'll want to know about
- What do we know at this point?
- Routing – naming matters!
- A bit more detail
- Views and themes
- Views summary
- Views – a quick overview
- Installing the Cakestarter-Bootstrap theme
- Better URLs
- Altering the schema
- Installing the sluggable behavior
- Making your controllers aware of the slugs
- Updating the views
- Adding the Install page
- Using the built-in PagesController
- Fixtures and automated tests
- What is automated testing?
- The initial setup
- People and places you should get to know
- The Bakery
- Getting support from the community
- IRC (Internet Relay Chat) channels
- The Google group, Google Plus page, and CakePHP questions
- CakePHP on social media
- Conventions and meetups
- Parting words
- About Packt Publishing
- Writing for Packt
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Errata- 3 submitted: last submission 16 Jul 2013
Errata type: Typo | Page no: 17
The categories will contain the following information:
Tags will contain the following information:
Errata type: Typo | Page no: 17
This is a unique identifier for categories,
This is a unique identifier for tags,
Errata type: Code | Page no: 44
In step 2, app/Views/Themed should be
Please create the Themed directory if it doesn't exist
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Install the development version of CakePHP
- Deploy the development code to a live production server, using AppFog
- Use the command line “bake” tool to auto-generate Models, Views, and Controllers
- Define your database schema in code and use the “cake” command line tool to generate and execute the SQL automatically
- Create and update themes, which are pluggable versions of the Views you know and love
CakePHP is an exciting tool focused on writing web applications in PHP in a simple and fast way that requires less code. You can rapidly build prototypes using code generation and scaffolding. It doesn't require any complicated XML or YAML files. You just need to set up your database and you're ready to bake!
Instant CakePHP Starter contains several tutorials that together build a powerful and engaging application, and in the process teaches you many features of CakePHP, both common and obscure. It is not simply a listing and explanation of features you could get from reading the online documentation. This book is an exploration of the experience of installing, building, and deploying a CakePHP application in a step by step way.
This book begins by installing CakePHP locally, and then deploying your application to production.
We conclude with a discussion of the community. In short, Instant CakePHP Starter is a kick start to your experience with both CakePHP and its community.
Get to grips with a new technology, understand what it is and what it can do for you, and then get to work with the most important features and tasks.This book is a practical, step-by-step tutorial that teaches you about Models, Views, Controllers, scaffolding, themes, behaviors, and routing in CakePHP.
Who this book is for