Designing Moodle Themes [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results.
- Create your own Moodle skin by customizing Themes in Moodle
- Boost the learner experience on all platforms, from desktops to tablets and smartphones
- Enhance the functionality of your Moodle courses through these quick, easy-to-follow, and engaging videos
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Course Length : 2 hours and 48 minutes
ISBN : 1783286016
ISBN 13 : 9781783286010
Author(s) : Susan Smith Nash
Topics and Technologies : Video, e-Learning
Table of Contents
- Getting Started with Moodle and Moodle Themes
- An Overview of Moodle
- Icons in Moodle
- Creating a Course and Adding Course Components
- What is a Moodle Theme?
- How Themes Help You
- Preinstalled Themes
- Finding the Location of Themes in Moodle
- Theme Settings
- The Theme Selector
- Themes for Assessment-based Courses
- Themes for Discussion-focused Courses
- Themes for Multimedia and Instruction-heavy Courses
- Themes with Social Media-intensive Courses
- Designing for Moodle Mobile
- Customizing the Appearance of Activities
- Customizing a Calendar
- Customizing Forums
- Creating a Course Repository
- Customizing Assessments: A Quiz
- Modifying the Workshop for Portfolios
- Modifying the Workshop for Collaborations
- Customizing the Appearance of Resources
- Adding URLs: Changing Links
- Creating Icons for Clickable Links
- Customizing the Appearance of a Link
- Embedding a Player or Creating a Link to a Plugin
- Embedding Videos: Changing the Appearance
- Incorporating Google Maps/GPS Information
- Using Cascading Style Sheets for Modifying Built-in Themes
- Cascading Style Sheets
- Common Codes to Use in CSS
- Colors in CSS
- Fonts in CSS
- The CSS Theme Tool Block
- Downloading Themes
- Advantages of Using Core and Contributed Themes
- Moodle Docs: A Great Source
- Reviewing Themes
- Selecting Themes for Instructor-led and Self-study Courses
- Selecting Responsive Themes for Multiple Devices
- Developing Our Own Themes
- The Rapidly Changing World of Online Learning
- Competency-based Education: A Certification Program
- Mobile On-the-Job Competency Demonstration
- Collaborative Social Media Use
- MOOC (Massive Online Open Course): Update Designs
- Customizing Outcomes
- Customizable Outcomes/Assessments
- Certificates: Generating upon Completion of Assessments
- Changing the Appearance of Certificates: Title and Fonts
- Changing the Appearance of Certificates: Graphics
- Badges and their uses
- Designing Badges
- Creating/Sizing Badges
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Design your own one-of-a-kind Moodle skin and build sizzle into the user experience
- Develop Moodle courses that flow across all devices
- Create a striking skin without having to program anything
- Engrave your Moodle courses with customized branding through elements such as Logos and Badges
- Work with a Moodle administrator and gain access to the most optimum themes
- Modify Themes by customizing code using Cascading Style Sheets
Who this video course is for
If you develop e-learning tutorials in Moodle and wish to create a course which is embossed with your brand, this video tutorial is just right for you. It will provide you with the means to develop a Moodle theme that has the advanced functionalities to make your course unique. Just do your basic homework in HTML and CSS, and you are good to go.
Themes in Moodle are plugins that help you to create a different look and feel for your Moodle courses. These themes act as custom “skins” which help you to make your courses stand out from the rest. With your personalized themes, you will enjoy functionality and elevated performance along with a very unique design for your own “brand” of courses.
This tutorial offers you a step-by-step guide to building your own customized themes on top of the existing Moodle plugins.
This comprehensive video tutorial will introduce you to the process of selecting the Moodle themes that best suit your requirements and then further customizing them to your design needs. You will learn to identify the elements that will make your Moodle course better, followed by ways to achieve superior functionality.
You will learn how themes can help you build an exclusive look for your courses and create a positive user experience for your viewers. You will go through a quick tour of pre-installed themes in Moodle, and then learn how to customize the appearance of elements of any theme that you select. If you are working with a Moodle administrator, you’ll learn how to download and install new themes, and to modify their appearance quickly and easily using Cascading Style Sheets (CSS). A quick drive through this course and you will be on the road to developing a strong brand identity for all your Moodle courses and programs.
Screenshots from the course
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
An easy-to-follow video tutorial to help you design your own Moodle themes; taking the e-learning experience to the next level.