CryENGINE SDK Game Programming Essentials [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results.
- Create advanced AI behavior in Flowgraph
- Create your own Flowgraph node in C++
- Get your hands dirty writing some game logic using C++ and Lua
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Friday, November 29, 2013
Course Length : 2 hours and 30 minutes
ISBN : 1849697469
ISBN 13 : 9781849697460
Author(s) : Richard Marcoux III
Topics and Technologies : Video
Table of Contents
- Setting Up Microsoft Visual Studio C++ [7:43 minutes]
- Setting Up the Solution
- Setting Up Include, Library, and Debug Directories
- Compiling CryENGINE
- Overview of CryENGINE Entities [12:19 minutes]
- Spawning Entities in the Editor
- Changing the Entity Properties
- A Look at the C++ Side
- Entity System from a C++/Programming Perspective [12:10 minutes]
- The Entity System Overview
- The SpawnEntity and RemoveEntity Functions
- Entity Events and Their Importance
- Creating a Custom C++ Entity from Scratch – Part I [15:16 minutes]
- Creating a New Class
- Learning What the Functions Do
- Filling in the Default Code
- Creating a Custom C++ Entity from Scratch – Part II [21:47 minutes]
- Registering Our ProximityMine
- Loading a 3D Model
- Kill Entities in a Radius Part 1 (Proximity Check)
- Kill Entities in a Radius Part 2 (Physics Impulse)
- Kill Entities in a Radius Part 3 (Damage AI)
- Creating a Custom C++ Entity from Scratch – Part III [18:16 minutes]
- Spawning through the Code Part 1
- Spawning through the Code Part 2
- Getting Accurate Placement Using Physics
- Spawning through the Editor
- Creating a Custom Lua Script for Our Entity [12:36 minutes]
- Creating the Lua Entity Script
- Accessing Our Entity Script from C++
- Changing Our New Entity Script Properties
- Creating AI Behaviors in Flowgraph [19:35 minutes]
- A Brief Introduction to Flowgraph
- Setting Up and Generating AI Navigation
- Creating Our Own AI Behavior in Flowgraph
- Creating a Custom Flownode from Scratch [30:45 minutes]
- Creating the Node Class
- Adding Logic to Your Node Part 1
- Adding Logic to Your Node Part 2
- Adding Logic to Your Node Part 3
- Adding Logic to Your Node Part 4
- Testing Your Node Class in Game
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Use C++, Lua, and CryENGINE 's interfaces to create game logic
- Create AI navigation areas so that AI can move around
- Script AI behavior using CryENGINE 's visual scripting Language “Flowgraph”
- Program your own custom game object and place it into the game world
- Add Lua functionality to entities
- Fix common coding mistakes by debugging CRYENGINE Code
Who this video course is for
If you want to get into game development as a game programmer this is the course for you. A basic to intermediate understanding of C++, along with a very basic understanding of the CryENGINE editor is needed to best understand this course.
CryENGINE is a complete game development solution that can run on multiple platforms. Its aim is to give intuitive tools to the developer, and it is one of the most beginner-friendly engines out there. It comes with a fully featured audio offering, AI and game scripting by Lua or the graphical Flowgraph system, an integrated physics engine, and a full suite of performance analysis tools. The ‘What you see is what you play’ Sandbox editor is the best feature of using this engine for game programming and it allows anyone, developer or not, to get in there and create something cool and unique.
This video course provides you with hands-on exercises that walk you through programming with CRYENGINE using C++ and Lua. Everything is presented with visual learners in mind, so you not only see what is happening on screen but also participate in creating your own code through step-by-step instructions.
In this video course, we start out by getting ready for the CryENGINE code by setting up our Visual Studio. Next we learn the correlation between editor-spawned entities and those spawned through C++. We then set out to create our very own entity in C++, in particular, a Proximity Mine entity. Further on, we will add Lua functionality to our newly created entity.
Further into the course, we turn our attention to the Flowgraph editor where we create some advanced AI behaviors and then proceed to test them out. Lastly, we will create our very own “Mine Listener” Flowgraph node that will be used to listen for mines being placed by a target entity.
CRYENGINE Game Programming Essentials is an amazing and exciting video course that will capture the interest of all aspiring game programmers. The activities you perform in this course are fun, practical, and tackle real-word game programming problems with ease. This video course will help you greatly in your endeavors to become a game programmer.
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
This video course provides a hands-on approach to learning game programming with step-by-step instructions using C++ and Lua with the latest CryENGINE technology.