CryENGINE 3 SDK Level Design [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results
- Get to know the various aspects of level design and apply them to create your first game level
- Develop skills and game creation tactics that can be used with all types of games, and not just First Person Shooters
- Learn tips and tricks not included in the online manual
- Code bundle of this course comes along with the game created in the video course with the CryENGINE Free SDK Version 3.4.5
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Tuesday, July 30, 2013
Course Length : 2 hours 14 minutes
ISBN : 184969740X
ISBN 13 : 9781849697408
Author(s) : Nick Floyd
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Game Development, Video
Table of Contents
- Installing and Setting Up the CryENGINE 3 SDK [11:20 minutes]
- Download and Unpack the CryENGINE 3 SDK
- Open the CryENGINE 3 SDK for the First Time
- Other Tools That You Will Need
- Creating Your First Level [32:33 minutes]
- Setting Up Your Landmass
- Detailing the Terrain Mass
- Painting and Texturing the Terrain
- Adding Your Plants and Flora
- Setting Up Time Of Day (TOD) and skies
- Working with Models [14:12 minutes]
- Working with Basic Models
- Importing Custom Models
- Manipulating Entities inside the Engine
- Setting Up Simple Animations
- Creating Materials and Textures [14:06 minutes]
- The Difference between a Material and a Texture
- Creating Materials for Use In-game
- Setting Up Textures, bumpmaps, spec maps
- Setting Up Shaders for Your Materials
- Advanced Material Settings
- Introduction to Flowgraphs [19:35 minutes]
- What a Flow Graph Is and How to Set One Up
- Covering the Basics of the Flow Graph
- Making Flow Graphs That Work with Your Model
- Setting Up Events with Flow Graphs
- Animation via Flow Graphs
- Implementing Particles and Lighting [22:39 minutes]
- What Is a Particle?
- The Particle Editor
- Creating Static (Nonmoving) Particles
- Creating Animated Particles
- Lighting with Particles
- Using Sound to Liven Up Your Level [11:33 minutes]
- Learn How to Set Up Your Musical Score
- Linking Sound Effects with Events
- Creating Ambient Noise
- Packing It All Up and Playing [8:19 minutes]
- Optimizing Your Level for Best Performance
- Packing and Playing
Associated code downloads are included in the zip file of the purchased video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Create and populate your terrain in multiple ways
- Create textures, materials, and particles to make your game interesting
- Import your own models into the engine
- Liven up the environment with music and sound
- Utilize the several optimization features of the CryENGINE SDK
- Learn various techniques to debug your level
- Pack up your level and start playing
Who this video course is for
Are you a novice who wishes to get into game development, but have no experience or don’t know where to start? Being an intermediate level designer, do you enjoy modifying your existing games and want to learn to move your skills up a notch? Then this course is meant for you!
With every successive console generation, the cost, time, and complexity of developing games has grown. Meet CryENGINE3, a middleware engine that is the perfect fit for most developers, allowing users to exceed current generation quality standards. When creating a game, good level design is what the end user sees the most. More often than not, there is more than one way to achieve a desired effect in a level. This course shows you every way possible to achieve this effect.
CryENGINE 3 SDK Level Design covers various aspects of level design while informing the budding designer of ways to achieve their goals with less effort. Even with no prior knowledge of game design, CryENGINE 3 SDK Level Design will show you everything you need to know about game level design, starting from how to load the CryENGINE 3 SDK on to your PC all the way to packing up your first level to play.
In order to make your game level look presentable, the course starts off by helping you get a grasp on the basics, such as creating your first level, working with models, terrain creation, and material editing. However, your journey doesn't stop there, as you will then gain further knowledge of more advanced features such as creating flowgraphs and particles, adding sound, and debugging your level.
By the end of this course, you will be armed with the skills you need to start creating game levels and scenes. While watching these videos, you will learn game creation tactics that not only work for the CryENGINE, but also for most modern day game engines.
Code bundle of this course comes along with the game created in the video course with the CryENGINE Free SDK Version 3.4.5
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
The videos will explain everything that the viewer needs to know using a hands-on approach to follow along with. This course will also give the viewer the ability to take what they have learned and apply it to their own game level.