CryENGINE 3 Cookbook
|Also available on:|
- Begin developing your AAA game or simulation by harnessing the power of the award winning CryENGINE3
- Create entire game worlds using the powerful CryENGINE 3 Sandbox.
- Create your very own customized content for use within the CryENGINE3 with the multiple creation recipes in this book
- Translate your design into CryENGINE by following the easy step by step recipes exploring flow graph, track view, and many of the other tools within CryENGINE
Table of ContentsPreface
Chapter 1: CryENGINE 3: Getting Started
Chapter 2: Sandbox Basics
Chapter 3: Basic Level Layout
Chapter 4: Environment Creation
Chapter 5: Basic Artificial Intelligence
Chapter 6: Asset Creation
Chapter 7: Characters and Animation
Chapter 8: Creating Vehicles
Chapter 9: Game Logic
Chapter 10: Track View and Cut-Scenes
Chapter 11: Fun Physics
Chapter 12: Profiling and Improving Performance
- Chapter 1: CryENGINE 3: Getting Started
- Opening a level in the CryENGINE 3 Sandbox
- Navigating a level with the Sandbox Camera
- Setting up a personalized toolset layout
- How to customize toolbars and menus
- Using the Rollup Bar
- Selecting and browsing level objects
- Restoring the CryENGINE 3 default settings
- Chapter 2: Sandbox Basics
- Creating a new level
- Generating a procedural terrain
- Terrain sculpting
- Setting up the terrain texture
- Placing the objects in the world
- Refining the object placement
- Utilizing the layers for multiple developer collaboration
- Switching to game mode
- Saving your level
- Exporting to an engine
- Essential game objects
- Running a map from the Launcher
- Chapter 3: Basic Level Layout
- Making basic shapes with the Solids tool
- Editing and merging solids
- Grouping the objects
- Utilizing the Geom entities instead of brushes
- Road construction
- Painting vegetation
- Breaking up tiling with Decals
- Making caves with Voxels
- Creating Prefabs to store in external libraries
- Chapter 4: Environment Creation
- Creating your first time of day using the basic parameters
- Adjusting the terrain lighting
- Using the real-time Global Illumination
- Editing HDR lighting and the effects for flares
- Creating a global volumetric fog
- Creating a night scene with time of day parameters
- Color grading your level
- Creating a photo realistic ocean
- Improving your sky with clouds
- Making it rain in your level
- Chapter 5: Basic Artificial Intelligence
- Placing the enemy AI
- Generating the AI navigation
- Forbidden boundaries
- Forbidden areas
- Setting up the interior navigation
- Debugging the AI triangulation
- Narrowing the AI's FOV to allow attacks from behind
- Respawning AI
- Chapter 6: Asset Creation
- Installing the CryENGINE 3 plugin for 3D Studio Max
- Creating textures using CryTIF
- Setting up units to match CryENGINE in 3ds
- Basic material setup in 3ds
- Creating and exporting static objects
- Creating and exporting destroyable objects
- Using advanced material editor parameters to create animation
- Creating new material effects
- Creating image-based lighting
- Chapter 7: Characters and Animation
- Creating skinned characters for the CryENGINE
- Ragdoll and physics for characters
- Creating animation for your character
- Previewing animations and characters for Sandbox
- Creating upper body only animations
- Creating locomotion animations
- Animating rigid body geometry data
- Chapter 8: Creating Vehicles
- Creating a new car mesh (CGA)
- Creating a new car XML
- Giving more speed to the car
- Increasing the mass to push objects with the car
- Defining a sitting location
- Setting up multiple cameras for the car
- Need for a machine gun
- Giving the car a weak spot
- Chapter 9: Game Logic
- How to beam the player to a tag point from a trigger
- Making the AI go to a location when the player enters a proximity trigger
- Debugging the Flow Graph
- Creating a kill counter
- Rewarding the player for reaching a kill goal
- Displaying the player's health through a Flow Graph
- Changing the player camera through key input
- Creating a countdown timer
- Chapter 10: Track View and Cut-Scenes
- Creating a new Track View sequence
- Animating a camera in the Track View
- Triggering a sequence using the Flow Graph
- Animating entities in the Track View
- Playing animations on entities in the Track View
- Using console variables (CVars) in the Track View
- Using track events
- Chapter 11: Fun Physics
- Low gravity
- Hangman on a rope
- Wrecking ball
- Rock slide
- Chapter 12: Profiling and Improving Performance
- Profiling performance in the Sandbox
- Saving level statics
- Enabling the debug draw modes
- Optimizing the levels with VisAreas and portals
- Using light boxes and light areas
- Activating and deactivating the layers
As a former level editor and 3D artist, familiar with 3D content creation tools already, but a complete newbie to Crytek’s Sandbox editor, I found the book a perfectly great and relatively painless way to get started using the tech.
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Errata- 2 submitted: last submission 12 Oct 2012
Page number:41 | Errata Type:Code
How to do it... Step 4
ground_mud_grey.dds does not exist
Instead use the texture in Textures/Default/grey.dds
Page Number:53 | Errata Type: Technical
How to do it... Step 3
Open the Others folder in the Entity List.
Open the Multiplayer folder in the Entity List.
What you will learn from this book
- Navigate and interface within the CryENGINE Sandbox, the tool used to create AAA games like Crysis 2.
- Create your own levels and even entire worlds using recipes for sculpting and molding terrain.
- Model with the integrated tools available to designers and artists in the CryENGINE3 Sandbox.
- Use the cutting edge real time lighting technology of the CryENGINE to bring light to your worlds and explore the use of atmospherics and effects used for today’s newest games.
- Create and animate AAA characters and other objects for use with the CryENGINE Sandbox.
- Manipulate the advanced AI available to game designers in the CryENGINE3.
- Create your own cut scenes and videos using the power of the CryENGINE3 engine to maximize the output.
- Optimize your creations for optimal performance with maximum visual impact.
- Have fun following interesting game changing physical simulation recipes that can add unique game play opportunities to your levels.
- Use visual scripting to create amazingly complex events as seen in Crysis2.
With every successive console generation, the cost, time, and complexity of developing games has grown. Meet CryENGINE3, a middleware engine that is the perfect fit for most developers allowing users to exceed current generation quality standards while using less people and time than ever thought possible.
The CryENGINE3 CookBook is packed full of recipes for junior and senior developers alike. It covers everything from creating photo realistic architectural visualizations to implementing advanced physics such as ragdoll and tornado effects. Topics covered include the sandbox, level layout, environment creation, AI, character creation, creating vehicles, and game logic. Every recipe is designed to add AAA quality to your games.
The CryENGINE3 SDK has many tools immediately available to developers of all disciplines. For designers the book has recipes for building up your own levels and populating your levels with intelligent AI and photo realistic assets. For artists we have recipes for practical workflow tools and techniques used when working with the advanced CryENGINE shaders and materials. For animators we have recipes that will bring your creations to life using skinned characters and advanced animation systems like locomotion groups. Finally for programmers we have recipes that show how to employ the core mechanics behind entities such as vehicles and weapons while also utilizing the strengths of the physics engine to create a unique and exciting game.
Get to grips with CryENGINE 3 and use the CryENGINE Sandbox editor a production-proven real-time game compositing tool suite designed and built by AAA developers.
Written in a cookbook style, this book offers solutions using a recipe based approach. Each recipe contains step-by-step instructions followed by an analysis of what was done in each task and other useful information. The cookbook approach means you can dive into whatever recipes you want in no particular order. The CryENGINE3 Cookbook is written to be accessible to all developers currently using the CryENGINE3. It also explores the depth and power of the CryENGINE3 and is a useful guide to follow when becoming familiar with this award winning middle-ware game engine.
Who this book is for
This book is written with the casual and professional developer in mind. Fundamental knowledge of some Digital Content Creation Tools, like Photoshop and 3d Studio Max is required. The Software Development Kit version of the CryENGINE is used for all examples, so the reader should have a version of the development kit to follow the recipes contained in this book.