Instant Node Package Manager [Instant]
|Print & eBook also available on:|
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results
- Create and distribute node modules
- Learn how to publish executables
- Automate the installation of dependencies
Book DetailsLanguage : English
eBook : 56 pages
Release Date : September 2013
ISBN : 1783283335
ISBN 13 : 9781783283330
Author(s) : Juzer Ali
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Instant, Web Development, Open Source
Table of ContentsInstant Node Package Manager
- Instant Node Package Manager
- So, what is Node Package Manager?
- Step 1 – what do I need?
- Step 2 – downloading node.js
- Windows or Mac
- Linux and other Unices
- Installing via nvm and nave (recommended)
- Building and installing from source
- And that's it!
- Quick start – creating your first npm module
- simplemath library
- Step 1 – learning to use require()
- Step 2 – writing tests
- Step 3 – writing the actual code
- Step 4 – writing the glue code
- Step 5 – creating package.json
- Step 6 – adding dependencies
- Step 7 – publishing
- Top 10 features you need to know about
- Related commands
- Binaries and global installs
- Related commands
- Global .npmignore
- Command-line flag
- Environment variables
- User config file
- Global config file
- People and places you should get to know
- Official sites
- Articles and tutorials
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Install node.js and npm
- Modularize code in different files and folders
- Create a working node module
- Publish your node module on the npm registry
- Create node executables and put them in the system's path
- Bootstrap two modules together so that both can keep abreast with one another
- Lock down dependencies to avoid surprises
- Configure the local npm installation to provide some of your own convenient defaults
Node.js is the new buzz in town and has a vibrant community.It ships with npm, which is a tool that helps automate various development, deployment, and installation of node modules, and makes the process much easier.
Instant Node Package Module is a practical guide to authoring and distributing node modules, and also for creating and managing private, standalone node.js projects.
Starting with getting node.js installed and running on a variety of platforms, we then proceed to learn about code modularization and achieving it in node.js. Picking up a practical example, we will then explore the whole process and life cycle of conceiving, writing, and publishing a node module. We will also learn how to exploit a toolsincluded with npm to automate various development and deployment steps.
Later on, we will discover the power of npm and how its different features and configurations can save large amounts of time by providing a helping hand for automating repetitive tasks between writing and publishing your modules.
Get to grips with a new technology, understand what it is and what it can do for you, and then get to work with the most important features and tasks. A practical exploration of the lifecycle of creating node modules as well as learning all of the top features that npm has to offer.
Who this book is for