Instant OpenELEC Starter [Instant]
|Print & eBook also available on:|
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results
- Step-by-step installation of OpenELEC on your PC or Raspberry Pi
- Customize the look and feel of your media center with skins and add-ons
Book DetailsLanguage : English
eBook : 50 pages
Release Date : June 2013
ISBN : 178328045X
ISBN 13 : 9781783280452
Author(s) : Mikkel Viager
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Instant, Other, Open Source
Table of ContentsInstant OpenELEC Starter
- Instant OpenELEC Starter
- So, what is OpenELEC?
- Media center features
- Hardware requirements
- Installation on a PC
- Step 1 – What do you need?
- Step 2 – Downloading OpenELEC for PC installation
- Step 3 – Creating the install media
- Step 4 – Installing OpenELEC on a PC
- And that's it
- Installation on Raspberry Pi
- Step 1 – What do I need?
- Step 2 – Downloading OpenELEC for Raspberry Pi installation
- Step 3 – Creating a bootable SD card
- Step 4 – Launching OpenELEC on Raspberry Pi
- And that's it
- Quick start – Managing XBMC
- Step 1 – Initial configuration
- Step 2 – Preparing your media library
- Naming movie files and folders
- Naming TV show files
- Step 3 – Adding movies for automatic indexing
- Step 4 – Adding TV shows for automatic indexing
- Step 5 – Video playback
- Top 10 features you'll want to know about
- Customizing the interface
- Customizing the default skin
- Changing the language
- The media library view
- Using skins
- Installing XBMC add-ons
- Third-party add-ons
- Using an Android device as a remote control
- Linking movies to TV shows
- Grouping movies in sets
- The weather add-on
- Adding and indexing music
- Adding and viewing pictures
- Adding and using multiple user profiles
- Password protecting profiles and settings
- People and places you should get to know
- Official sites
- Articles and tutorials
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Select the right OpenELEC version for your hardware
- Create and use the OpenELEC install media for installation on a PC
- Apply a complete OpenELEC software image to an SD card for a Raspberry Pi
- Perform initial configuration of your new media center
- Set up XBMC to automatically index your movies and TV shows
- Customize the language, interface, and layout with settings and skins
- Browse and install add-ons to add new features and enhancements
- Use your android device as a media center remote control using WiFi
- Manage media access with multiple user profiles and a parental lock
OpenELEC makes it easy and free to set up your own full-fledged media center capable of presenting your entire media library in a slick and straightforward interface.
Instant OpenELEC Starter is a practical, hands-on guide that provides you with everything you need to know in order to install OpenELEC on your own PC or Raspberry Pi for free, including details on many useful XBMC features as well.
Instant OpenELEC Starter looks at the different OpenELEC versions available, and breaks down the process of choosing, preparing, and installing the right one for your hardware. Once the installation is complete, it will take you through a number of steps on how to configure and customize your new media center.
You will also learn how to make XBMC automatically index your media library and present your movies and TV shows with matching artwork. Additional information on the main features of XBMC is available, for you to get to know them, and you will learn how to activate and use them to your liking. If you are looking to turn a PC or Raspberry Pi into a full-fledged media center with OpenELEC, or simply want to know how to configure and use XBMC on any platform, this is the book for you.
With Instant OpenELEC Starter, you will have everything you need to know in order to get your very own media center up and running.
Get to grips with a new technology, understand what it is and what it can do for you, and then get to work with the most important features and tasks. A tangible and easy-to-follow guide on installation and basic configuration of a home media center, allowing for the completion of the process without having to look elsewhere for additional information, and within a relatively limited timespan.
Who this book is for
This book is great for anyone with basic computer skills who is looking to get a good understanding of the OpenELEC installation process on a PC or Raspberry Pi. It is a great shortcut for experienced users to get tips and tricks, and also covers many topics of interest for all XBMC users on any platform. Readers are expected to know how to download, install, and use programs, as well as how to complete simple tasks such as unzipping compressed archives.