|Also available on:|
- Simple, ready-to-use interactive 3D demonstrations and explanations for a variety of popular and innovative websites
- Detailed overview of how to build 3D environments including features such as designing, navigating, and interacting in 3D scenes
- Instantly deploy 3D websites for a variety of applications including e-commerce, social media, visualizing big data, and mobile devices
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 300 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : May 2014
ISBN : 1783280913
ISBN 13 : 9781783280919
Author(s) : Mitch Williams
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Game Development, Web Development, Open Source
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Get well-versed with fundamental technologies of 3D graphics including the design of 3D objects, lighting scenes, and viewing scenes from various camera positions
- Discover how to send data to control 3D from a web browser to the graphics card for rich and engaging graphical presentations
- Understand the role of graphics card programming using Shader languages to control the appearance of a 3D scene down to each individual pixel
- Explore how to load 3D objects created by artists in modeling tools in the background
- Integrate web 3D content with databases and other web applications such as social media to extend common applications with 3D
- Control the parameters of cameras such as field-of-view, removal of distant objects, and environmental effects such as fog and night scenes
- Detect collisions between objects both for precision and efficiency
- Understand visual issues regarding transparencies, image reflection, and refraction or bending of light through water and other fluids
WebGL Hotshot presents many popular applications for the Web including examples of deploying 3D applications such as building interactive products for e-commerce, extending social media, visualizing big data, and more. It also walks you through some new applications that are gaining popularity such as 3D web design, interactive art, and conveying information to customers beyond traditional text and flat 2D images.
This book aims to help you master how to instantly create and deploy web 3D content, demonstrating a variety of common and unique web applications and exploring the artistic features of 3D.
The book begins with the development of web 3D content that can be deployed right away. You will learn how to apply WebGL, supported by nearly all popular web browsers, in a variety of popular applications such as product demonstrations, e-commerce, and web advertising. You will then move into the fun areas of 3D such as gaming and social media. As you learn more about the fundamentals of lighting, cameras, and interactivity, you’ll acquire skills to use 3D to visualize big data that WebGL can uniquely display more effectively than traditional 2D charts. You will also learn how to extend this into professional applications for people working in areas such as architecture, mechanical design, and education, or for medical uses. The book concludes by showing you how to deploy web 3D content into creative and innovative applications such as 3D web design and interactive art.
WebGL Hotshot will improve your skills and understanding of 3D graphics concepts. It is ideal for current web developers or those looking for a starting point to learn about 3D graphics technology in a bleeding-edge field.
Every chapter starts with a 'mission briefing' section that describes what is to be achieved by the end of the chapter. This is followed with the decisions and steps required to accomplish the mission objective with challenges to take the project further. The scope for the book thus mimics the real-life requirements of a developer and gets you ready to successfully build your own project.
Who this book is for
If you are a web designer looking to expand your knowledge of 3D graphics concepts and broaden your existing skill set, then this book is for you. Those looking for an introduction to 3D graphics will benefit from WebGL Hotshot as it is a perfect guide to master 3D concepts, helping you build and deploy 3D worlds much quicker. The book assumes a basic knowledge of HTML, though it can be learned concurrently while reading this book. Basic programming knowledge is useful; however, the graphical nature of web 3D content allows you to learn programming through experimentation.