IBM Cognos 10 Report Studio Fundamentals [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results.
- Understand the fundamentals and architecture of Cognos 10 Report Studio to become proficient with the tool
- Move on from simple to advanced techniques by watching purely example -driven videos that peek into the best practices used in the industry
- Overcome tool-based limitations by achieving speedy and effortless report development
- Rewind, replay, and practice the techniques yourself using our downloadable examples
- Suitable for most versions of Report Studio (v8.2, v8.4 and v10.x)
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Friday, May 31, 2013
Course Length : 2 hours 50 mins
ISBN : 1849689288
ISBN 13 : 9781849689281
Author(s) : Abhishek Sanghani
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Big Data and Business Intelligence, Video, Enterprise, IBM
Table of Contents
- Installation, Configuration, and Architehture of Cognos 10 BI [16:31 mins]
- Downloading Cognos Installer
- Installing Cognos 10 BI Developer Edition
- Components and Architecture of Cognos 10 BI
- Cognos Configuration and Starting Services
- Connection Portal
- Creating Simple and Advanced Lists Reports [14:22 mins]
- Creating a Simple List Report
- Adding data formatting, grouping & sorting features
- Applying Simple to Advanced Conditional Styles
- Adding Page breaks by Creating Sections
- Examining Query Subjects and Generated SQL
- Filters, Prompts, and Calculations [15:30 mins]
- Adding Custom Calculations to a list
- Filtering data using detailed filters
- Parameterizing the filter and adding prompt
- Adding query driven value prompt
- Changing prompt display value in the prompt page
- Creating Simple to Advanced Crosstab Reports [18:59 mins]
- Using Crosstab Reports to Show Orders against Cities and Products
- Adding Crosstab Totals (Summary), Zero Suppression & Date Range Prompts
- Adding additional levels and measures by nesting rows or columns
- Discontinuous Crosstab
- Overriding Cell Contents
- Using Graphs for Visual Representation [20:12 mins]
- Creating simple chart showing sales over countries & ProductLines
- Projecting multiple measures on charts and other refinements
- Nesting Items in chart, filtering and some more properties
- Chart inside a list & Master-Detailed Relationship
- Enable Chart Properties & Create a 3D Bubble chart
- Drill Through From a List Report to another List Report [22:13 mins]
- Creating Drill through from a list report to another
- Passing multiple parameters in drill-through
- Enabling Drill Up and Drill Down in dimensional models
- Drill Through to itself to mimic ‘export to excel or pdf
- Conditional Drill Through definitions
- Unleash the power of Cognos with Macro, HTML items and Java Scripts [20:04 mins]
- Dynamically changing report columns using macro function
- Creating e-mail link using HTML item
- Linking to Google Maps using HYPERLINK object
- Best Practices and Tricks [21:02 mins]
- Reusing objects & Reducing Maintenance
- Creating Report Templates
- Horizontal Pagination & PDF Page Sizing
- Displaying NO DATA message
- Adding Code Comments in Reports
Associated code downloads are included in the zip file of the purchased video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Install Cognos 10 Report Studio and understand its architecture
- Create List Reports and perform data formatting, grouping, and sorting
- Explore the powerful features of Report Studio— conditional styles, data filters, page breaks, prompts & calculations
- Examine underlying SQL queries which are fired on the database
- Achieve dynamically changing columns using macros
- Use HTML items effectively to create email links and Google Map links
- Create crosstab reports, nesting reports , master-detail reports, and zero suppression reports
- Add different types of charts to reports
- Set up Drill Through and Drill Down links
- Use Report Templates, Copy-Paste & Adding Code Comments effectively
- Save time on maintenance by using Layout Component Reference
Who this video course is for
Whether you are an Analyst, Business User, Project Manager or a Techie who is new to Cognos Report Studio, you will gain understanding of how things work and put them to action.
You could also be an End user or a Project Manager who authors his own reports and wants to look beyond the conventional features of Cognos 10 Report Studio.
"IBM Cognos 10 Report Studio Fundamentals" covers the basic and advanced features of report authoring. It helps you understand and use all the features provided by Report Studio to generate impressive deliverables to take you from being a beginner to a professional report author. Develop excellent reports using dimensional data sources by following best practices in this course.
Starting with an overview of high-level architecture and installation of Cognos 10 Report Studio , you will progress from building simple to advanced List and Crosstab reports and much more. Each topic is shown with working examples, in a clear and concise way to enable you to quickly grasp and practice these.
You will see how to add data formatting, conditional layouts, and filters to your reports to use them effectively. You define how to format numbers, present data into charts or matrix, and link the reports together. You will learn how to stay in control by examining underlying queries and pick up best practices like using layout component references, templates and code comments.
In short, Cognos 10 Report Studio Fundamentals will help you get the best out of Cognos 10 Report Studio. The main focus is on the practical use of various powerful features that Report Studio has to offer to suit your business requirements and enable you to start building professional reports on your own.
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
A self paced, example-driven, clear and concise online video course with code samples to equip you with the skills required to build powerful reports using Cognos Report Studio in a short time. Each task is a carefully organized sequence of instructions to complete the task as efficiently as possible.