Configuration Management with Chef-Solo
|Also available on:|
- Explore various techniques that will help you save time in Infrastructure management
- Use the power of Chef-Solo to run your servers and configure and deploy applications in an automated manner
- This book will help you to understand the need for the configuration management tool and provides you with a step-by-step guide to maintain your existing infrastructure
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 116 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : June 2014
ISBN : 1783982462
ISBN 13 : 9781783982462
Author(s) : Naveed ur Rahman
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Networking and Servers, Open Source
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introduction to Chef and Chef-Solo
Chapter 2: Setting Up an Environment for Chef-Solo
Chapter 3: Setting Up a Development Environment
Chapter 4: Developing Cookbooks
Chapter 5: More about Cookbooks and Recipes
Chapter 6: Chef-Solo and Docker
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Errata- 2 submitted: last submission 23 Jul 2014
Page no: 27 | Errata type: Typo
The given link is:
It should be
Page no: 30 | Errata type: Code
The given command is:
$ chef-Solo -c ./solo.rb -j nginx.json
It should be
$ chef-solo -c ./solo.rb -j nginx.json
What you will learn from this book
- Define your infrastructure as code in Chef
- Set up a testing and production environment with Chef-Solo
- Test the incremental development of a project with Vagrant
- Develop recipes and manage web and database roles
- Automate tedious manual tasks
- Learn to use data bags and write clean cookbooks
- Create a Docker image using cookbooks
- Manage and scale your cloud infrastructure by automating your configuration management
Chef is a configuration management tool used to handle the hardest part of infrastructure, easing the deployment of servers and applications to any infrastructure. Chef-Solo is an open source version of the chef-client that allows you to use cookbooks with nodes, without requiring access to a Chef server. In any infrastructure, managing servers is one of the most critical tasks for any server administration. Chef-Solo makes the process of booting and provisioning many machines at the same time much easier.
Configuration Management with Chef-Solo will take you through the workflow of managing one or more servers. It includes many sample recipes to start with, and gradually you will take a look at the different interaction points and will also learn how Chef-Solo helps minimize your efforts to build and manage different machines. You will learn how to run servers while executing Ruby code. This hands-on guide will help you to understand the importance of this amazing configuration management tool.
This is a step-by-step guide, full of hands-on examples of real-world deployment tasks. Each topic is explained and placed in context, while also pointing out the key details of the concepts used.
Who this book is for
This book is aimed at system administrators and system engineers who have an understanding of configuration management tools and infrastructure. For novice administrators, it contains easy-to-use application recipes to get started immediately.