Building Websites with ExpressionEngine 2
|Also available on:|
- Learn all the key concepts and terminology of ExpressionEngine: channels, templates, snippets, and more
- Use RSS to make your content available in news readers including Google Reader, Outlook, and Thunderbird
- Manage your ExpressionEngine website, including backups, restores, and version updates
- Written in an easy-to-follow step-by-step style, with plenty of examples and exercises
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 328 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : September 2010
ISBN : 1849690502
ISBN 13 : 9781849690508
Author(s) : Leonard Murphy
Topics and Technologies : All Books, CMS and eCommerce, Content Management (CMS), jQuery, PHP, Web Development
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introduction to ExpressionEngine
Chapter 2: Getting Installed
Chapter 3: The ExpressionEngine Tour
Chapter 4: Moving a Website to ExpressionEngine
Chapter 5: Creating a Fully-Equipped Channel
Chapter 6: Members
Chapter 7: Creating a Calendar
Chapter 8: Creating a Photo Gallery
Chapter 9: Beyond the Basics
Chapter 10: Extending ExpressionEngine
Appendix A: Installing WampServer
Appendix B: Solutions to Exercises
Just like the first Building Websites with ExpressionEngine book, this version covers Expressionengine 2 in great detail, and is a superb companion for web designers building their first EE powered website.
Murphy’s new book is a good choice for the beginning ExpressionEngine users and goes beyond the basics, with a chapter about implementing ExpressionEngine’s powerful membership features, both for control panel administration, and front-end site membership.
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Errata- 2 submitted: last submission 02 Nov 2012
Errata type: Layout | Page number: 87
In the information box in the middle of the page, the last phrase appears to have a double space in it between "than" and "changing":
"(rather than changing every occurrence..."
and has two periods at the end:
"...of the domain name.)."
Please ignore the extra space in the former and the latter should read "...of the domain name)."
Errata Type: Technical | Page number: 25
The last two lines:
"Select Unix as the type of server. You would normally know if your web
server is Windows rather than Unix-based."
These lines should be omitted as it looks like the "Type of Server" prompt was removed in the latest version of ExpressionEngine, so the sentence on how to answer it no longer applies.
What you will learn from this book
- Install and set up the ExpressionEngine software and learn how to set up a local development website server on your own PC
- Get step-by-step instructions on how to build a business website in ExpressionEngine
- Build an interactive website with comments, e-mail forms, mailing lists, and more to allow visitors to interact with your website.
- Learn how to create dynamic content and organize it using categories
- Create a slick photo gallery using just ExpressionEngine and jQuery (and some photos!)
- Create an events calendar for your website to indicate what is going on when
- Learn how to manage members and member groups and handle new member registrations, forgotten passwords, and logging in
- Receive key advice on doing backups and software upgrades to secure your website
- Get an overview of must-have add-ons to stay ahead of the game
- Absorb tons of hints and tips so you quickly feel like a pro
ExpressionEngine is a flexible, feature-rich content management system used by top designers and web professionals across the world to build and manage their websites. It is written in the world's most popular web scripting language, PHP, and built on the MySQL database server. Are you eager to start creating websites with ExpressionEngine?
Written for ExpressionEngine version 2.1 and later, this book will give you clear, concise, and practical guidance to take you from the basics of setting up ExpressionEngine to developing the skills you need to create ExpressionEngine websites to be reckoned with.
You will begin with setting up a basic installation of ExpressionEngine. You will then learn how it works, before learning how to create and manage your website in ExpressionEngine. As you progress further into the book you will learn how to build an events calendar and how to build a photo gallery and before you know it, visitors to your website will be able to post comments, search your content, sign-up for a mailing list, and even send their friends an e-mail. As you consider the benefits of buying this book, you will learn how to manage members and member groups, how to optimize your website and avoid repetition, how to remove the index.php file for cleaner URLs, and how to take backups. At the end of the book, you will learn how to update ExpressionEngine to its latest version.
Go from the basics of setting up ExpressionEngine to creating a small business website with this concise, practical guide.
This book is a clear and enjoyable tutorial packed with carefully explained steps for constructing a small business website, and information for applying the skills learned to your everyday work with ExpressionEngine.
Who this book is for
If you have familiarity with building websites using HTML/CSS or with software such as DreamWeaver or other content management systems such as Drupal, WordPress, Joomla!, or Plone, then ExpressionEngine may be what you are looking for. This book is suitable for anyone who wants to develop a fully featured web presence with a simple and straightforward tool. No prior knowledge of content management systems, PHP or ExpressionEngine is assumed. A basic understanding of HTML is necessary to follow the examples.