Building Websites with ExpressionEngine 1.6
|Also available on:|
- Carefully explained steps for creating a professional ExpressionEngine website
- Get set up and running as quickly as possible
- Customize the look of your site and manage its content and users
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 396 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : July 2008
ISBN : 184719379X
ISBN 13 : 9781847193797
Author(s) : Leonard Murphy
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Content Management (CMS)
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introduction to ExpressionEngine
Chapter 2: Getting Installed
Chapter 3: Start Posting
Chapter 4: Creating an Easy to Maintain Website
Chapter 5: Create an Advanced Weblog
Chapter 6: Members
Chapter 7: Creating a Calendar
Chapter 8: Creating a Photo Gallery
Chapter 9: Other Modules and Functionality
Appendix A: Installing XAMPP
Appendix B: Solutions to Exercises
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Errata- 2 submitted: last submission 10 Sep 2012
Errata type: Technical | Page number: 48
In chapter 3, page 48, the reader should pick the 'Default Field Group' (or should leave 'Edit Group Preferences' set to no). You do not need to create the 'toastwebsite' field group as that happens later in the book (chapter 4).
Errata type: Typo | Page number: 91
"Writng an About Us Page" should read "Writing . . ."
(This typo is also carried over into the book's TOC, on page ii).
What you will learn from this book
- Install and set up ExpressionEngine
- Manage your ExpressionEngine installation, including backups, restores, and version updates
- Build a website from the ground up using ExpressionEngine
- Customize the look of your site with HTML/CSS and templates to create the right impression
- Create friendly URLs for your pages to be picked up by Internet search engines
- Handle new user registrations, forgotten passwords, and logging in
- Allow users to interact with your site using comments
- Add Calendar features to your site
- Display images on your site with the Photo Gallery module
- Add search functionality to your site
- Find out how to easily install add-ons such as plug-ins, extensions, and modules to enhance ExpressionEngine's functionality
- Learn how to integrate Paypal into ExpressionEngine in order to sell goods
- Get an overview of implementing the discussion forum module
ExpressionEngine is a flexible, feature-rich open-source content management system used by thousands of individuals, organizations, and companies to easily manage their websites. It is written in the world's most popular web scripting language, PHP, and built on the MySQL database server. This book is written for ExpressionEngine 1.6 users, although it will still be a good introduction for those using other versions.
If you're eager to start creating websites with ExpressionEngine, this is your book. This book gives you clear, concise and, of course, practical guidance to take you from the basics of setting up ExpressionEngine to developing the skills you need to create professional ExpressionEngine websites to be reckoned with.
This book will take you through the process of setting up a website with ExpressionEngine with the help of an example site. By creating a site for selling toast online, you will learn all the stages required for building a professional website in a plain, articulate manner.
This book is aimed at beginners new to ExpressionEngine, but will allow readers to advance rapidly up the learning curve to the point where they can tackle any task with confidence.
Once you're set up with a basic installation of ExpressionEngine, you will move on to learn about creating and managing your content, customizing the look of your site, managing users and groups, allowing visitors to post comments and feedback, building an events calendar, and building a photo gallery. The book also covers the discussion forum module, the simple commerce module, and the wiki module as well as basics such as creating search-engine friendly URLs, 404 "page not found" pages, removing the index.php file for cleaner URLs and updating ExpressionEngine to the latest version.
Go from the basics of setting up ExpressionEngine to creating professional ExpressionEngine websites with this concise, practical guide.
This book is a clear and enjoyable tutorial packed with carefully explained steps for constructing the example website, and information for applying the skills learned to your everyday ExpressionEngine work.
Who this book is for
This book is ideal for new users of ExpressionEngine. The book is targeted at people who are responsible for creating and managing a site with ExpressionEngine. It is suitable for web developers, designers, webmasters, content editors, and marketing professionals who want to develop a fully featured web presence in a simple and straightforward process.