Building a Single Page Web Application with Knockout.js [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results.
- Create a well-structured and organized application that you can build on and expand
- Learn how Knockout's data-binding can help you do more with less code
- Make use of best practices to ensure a maintainable code base
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Wednesday, February 5, 2014
Course Length : 1 hour and 51 minutes
ISBN : 1783284056
ISBN 13 : 9781783284054
Author(s) : Chris Black, David Ly
Topics and Technologies : Video
Table of Contents
- Exploring Knockout.js [09:39 minutes]
- Course Overview
- Declarative Bindings
- Automatic UI Refresh
- Dependency Tracking
- Using Knockout.js [06:27 minutes]
- When to Use Knockout
- Complex Interactions between Components
- Understanding MVVM
- Getting Started with Knockout Docs [15:23 minutes]
- Creating a Basic Document
- Keeping a List of Documents
- Selecting a Document to Edit
- Working with Classes
- Keeping Code Organized Using Templates
- Common Errors and Debugging [10:00 minutes]
- Common Errors
- Debugging Techniques
- Chrome Extension: Knockout Context Debugger
- Using Subscriptions for Debugging
- A More Complex Type: Spreadsheets [17:00 minutes]
- Creating a Spreadsheet Class
- Creating a New Template
- Creating New Items through the UI
- Adding Rows and Columns (ViewModel Side)
- Adding Rows and Columns (View Side)
- Advanced Techniques [19:55 minutes]
- Filtering Data
- Auto-saving Using Throttled Computed
- Introduction to Custom Bindings: Adding Animation
- Custom Binding: Sortable
- Working With Forms: Creating Surveys [15:16 minutes]
- Creating a Survey Class
- Adding Checkbox Questions
- Adding Radio Button and Select List Questions
- Adding a Preview Mode
- Saving and Loading Data [17:28 minutes]
- Overriding toJSON
- Loading Data from the Server
- Additional Tools and Resources
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Use declarative data-binding to specify what your code should do in the HTML markup
- Cut down on duplicate code and make code more maintainable by using inheritance with base.js
- Create custom bindings to expand on Knockout's functionality
- Use knockout templates to organize and reuse markup
- Dynamically choose a template based on the type of object
- Utilize computed properties to automatically track dependencies
Who this video course is for
Starting with an overview of the core concepts behind Knockout.js to create a real-world application, you'll begin your journey by first learning to build a simplified version of Google Docs. You'll discover the power of data binding and dependency tracking to automatically keep various parts of your application in sync. Next, you’ll learn how you can use debugging techniques to track errors before moving on to creating a spreadsheet to represent more complex data structures. Lastly, you’ll learn how to create a form and then save and load a page using server side functionality.
The final section of the course lets you explore best practices and some additional tools you can use to ensure a maintainable code base.
Screenshots from the course
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
A clear and practical approach to building a web application with sample code provided to help you every step of the way so you can see not just the final product, but also the evolution of the code base.