Building Interactive Graphs with ggplot2 and Shiny [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results
- Generate complex interactive web pages using R and produce publication-ready graphics in a principled manner
- Use aesthetics effectively to map your data into graphical elements
- Customize your graphs according to your specific needs without wasting time on programming issues
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Monday, March 31, 2014
Course Length : 1 hour 51 minutes
ISBN : 1783284331
ISBN 13 : 9781783284337
Author(s) : Christophe Ladroue
Topics and Technologies : Video, Open Source
Table of Contents
- Getting Started with ggplot2 [15:00 minutes]
- Setting Up ggplot2
- Understanding the Structure of a Plot
- Mapping Data to Graphical Elements with Aesthetics
- Understanding Some Subtleties with Aesthetics
- Using ggplot2 in Scripts
- Understanding Basic Plots [11:33 minutes]
- Drawing Lines
- Drawing Paths
- Bar Charts
- Histograms and Density Plots
- Using Boxplots
- Using Conditional Plots [09:32 minutes]
- Using Group and Color
- Using Size and Color
- Over Plotting Many Points with Jitter
- Faceting with One Variable
- Faceting with Two Variables
- Using Statistics in Our Plot [09:49 minutes]
- Linear Trends
- Non-linear Trends
- User-Defined Function
- BigVis: Visualizing Big Data
- BigVis: Smoothing Plots and Peeling Data
- Customizing Your Graphs [11:18 minutes]
- Controlling the Axes
- Ordering Variables
- Customizing the Color Palette for Categorical Variables
- Customizing the Color Palette for Continuous Variables
- Customizing the Axes Labels and the Legends
- Shiny – Part 1 [14:39 minutes]
- Creating Interactive Web Pages with Shiny
- Understanding the Structure of a Shiny App
- Rendering Text
- Understanding Reactive Programming
- Using a Button to Avoid Frequent Updates
- Shiny – Part 2 [12:25 minutes]
- Creating and Using Tabs
- Uploading a File
- Downloading a File
- Sharing Your Work
- Putting Everything Together [12:17 minutes]
- Designing an Interactive Dashboard
- Building a Time Series Plot
- Making a Bubble Chart in ggplot2
- Making Conditional Panels
- Building the Dashboard
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Create interactive web pages and combine elements to produce sophisticated graphs
- Make basic statistical plots (lines, paths, bar plots, histograms, and boxplots) with ggplot 2
- Combine graphical elements and put more information on your plots
- Address big data by plotting summary plots very quickly
- Customize your plots to your own style and requirements
- Understand reactive programming in Shiny for building interactive web pages
- Get to grips with scoping and make your code more efficient
- Publish and share your work
Who this video course is for
If you are a software programmer, application developer, or web developer with basic to intermediate knowledge of R programming and you want to build elegant graphs to display data that you can showcase to your clients, this course is for you. No knowledge of web technologies is required.
Ggplot2 is one of R’s most popular packages, and is an implementation of the grammar of graphics in R, which is a powerful tool for performing statistical analyses and drawing publication-quality graphics.
This course helps you move beyond the default graphics offered by R and shows you how to start making elegant and publication-ready plots. It equips you with a good command over ggplot 2 to build sophisticated and interactive graphs that suit your own data requirements.
This practical course shows you how to build statistical plots layer by layer by following along with the examples provided. You’ll first get familiar with the basics of ggplot2 by understanding the use of the building blocks of standard statistical plots and see how you can combine elements to make new graphics. Next, you’ll learn how to customize your graphs, and finally you’ll explore how to make interactive webpages to present your work or analyze your data.
Screenshots from the course
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
Following an example-driven approach, this course offers a practical way to learn how to build interactive graphs with ggplot 2 and Shiny with the help of easy-to-understand examples and step-by- step instructions.