Building an Architectural Walkthrough Using Unity [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results.
- Enliven static images and technical drawings with an interactive Unity app
- Walk around freely, climb stairs, open doors…explore!
- This is a practical and useful tutorial covering exactly what you need to know to use architectural design in your own projects
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Friday, May 30, 2014
Course Length : 2 hours and 51 minutes
ISBN : 178355990X
ISBN 13 : 9781783559909
Author(s) : Stefan Boeykens
Topics and Technologies : Game Development, Other, Video
Table of Contents
- Importing Architectural Models in Unity
- Introduction and Workflow Overview
- From SketchUp to Unity
- From ArchiCAD to Unity (Step 1)
- From ArchiCAD to Unity (Step 2)
- Updating Models
- Improving Performance
- Navigating an Architectural Model
- Adding a First-person Controller
- Preventing Running through Walls
- Adding a Third-person Controller
- Loading a Different 3D Character
- Adding a Mini-map
- Improving Materials with Shaders and Textures
- Textured Materials with Bump and Specular Mapping
- Using a CubeMap for Sky and Clouds
- Using a Better Glass Shader
- Procedural Materials Using Substances
- Cutout Textures Using Alpha Maps
- Adding Lights and Shadows
- Lighting Types
- Adding a Sun with Shadows
- Interior Lights Using Point and Spot Lights
- Lightmapping (Preparation)
- Lightmapping (Calculation)
- Animating Objects and Lighting
- Understanding Animation in Unity
- Creating a Rotating Cube
- Keyframing an Opening Door
- Opening and Moving an Elevator
- Setting Up a SunStudy Animation
- Scripting to Add Interactivity
- Creating Your First Script
- Editing a Script in Monodevelop
- Triggering the Rotation of a GameObject
- Switching a Material with a Script
- Adding a GUI to the Material Switcher
- Expanding the Scripts
- Hiding and Showing Objects
- Switching between Cameras
- Resetting the Player
- Picking Objects
- Displaying Object Information
- Presenting the Final Walkthrough
- Bringing Everything Together – The Build Settings
- Building the Result and Play
- Building for other Platforms – Example iOS
- Compiling and Running the iOS App
- Adding a Mobile Controller
- Some Final Refinements
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Export CAD and BIM models into a format that Unity can use
- Optimize the geometry and import settings for clean and reliable results
- Adjust the materials to add bump maps and transparent or reflective effects
- Add a Sun light with shadows and ensure even lighting
- Improve interior lighting with additional lights
- Bake the lighting onto the model with Lightmapping
- Add a character to freely walk around your model
- Use animations to apply interactive features such as opening doors
- Build a complete standalone application that can be shared online
- Gain control over your model with Unity scripts
Who this video course is for
This video course is meant for architects, designers, engineers, students, or in a nutshell, anyone interested in developing interactive environments with Unity. A quick brush up on the basics of Unity and you will be ready to go.
Translating CAD or BIM models into a real-time application can seem a tiresome ordeal. Luckily, Unity is very accessible for architects with some 3D experience and it makes importing and presenting models a fun task to do. Architectural visualization through Unity will help you analyze designs and make related decisions even before the actual building is built.
Starting from 3D models in common architectural software, we will discuss the workflow to load the models into Unity and even incorporate model changes. The building model will be refined, with better materials and lighting, so it looks attractive to the visitor. With a few basic scripts, we add the necessary interactivity and finally export it into an application you can share.
This video tutorial shows an efficient and easy approach to apply an architectural 3D model into your project for quick and reliable results.
Screenshots from the course
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
This video tutorial takes an illustrative approach, with attention to how and why you need to do things. Each step leads you to the final walkthrough and, what’s more, the concepts can be applied to other architectural software too.