Building Android Games with OpenGL ES [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results.
- Create captivating games through creating simple and effective codes in Java
- Develop a version of the classic game Breakout and see how to monetize it
- Step-by-step instructions and theoretical concepts describe each activity before you implement them
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Thursday, January 30, 2014
Course Length : 1 hour 42 mins
ISBN : 178328613X
ISBN 13 : 9781783286133
Author(s) : Amerigo Moscaroli
Topics and Technologies : Game Development, Video, e-Learning
Table of Contents
- Getting Started with OpenGL ES [14:53 minutes]
- Setting Up OpenGL ES in Eclipse
- Creating an OpenGL ES Environment
- Creating Your First Shaders
- Loading and Compiling the Shaders
- OpenGL ES Math [16:23 minutes]
- OpenGL ES Matrix System
- Vector Math
- Projection Matrix and Camera View
- Transformation Matrix - Scale and Translate
- Transformation Matrix - Rotation and Final
- Theory - Quaternions
- Lighting [16:28 minutes]
- Ambient Lighting
- Diffuse Lighting
- Specular Lighting
- Directional Light
- Point Light
- Spot Light
- Texturing [08:46 minutes]
- Loading Textures
- Creating New Shaders for Texturing
- Drawing the Texture
- Texture Filtering
- Particle Systems [07:34 minutes]
- Shaders for a Particle System
- Adding a Particle System
- Drawing the Particle System
- Customizing the Particles
- Breakout – Assets and UI [12:25 minutes]
- Menu Screens
- Game Interface
- Creating the Bricks
- Creating the Ball and Paddle
- Sound Effects
- Breakout – Gameplay [14:46 minutes]
- Ball Movement
- Paddle Input - Touch
- Paddle Input - Accelerometer
- Collisions - Broad Phase
- Collisions - Narrow Phase
- Scoring and Lives
- Breakout – Finishing Touches [11:21 minutes]
- Creating a Local HighScores Table
- How to Publish Your Game
- Optimization Techniques
- How to Add In-App Purchases
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Utilise shaders to render the objects in your game
- Discover how to encode the math functions necessary for games, from matrices to vectors
- Bring life to the scene through different types of lighting
- Add textures to objects and spice up the environment with finer details
- Make the bricks explode using the key functionalities of the particle systems
- Link different activities together to navigate through the app and create other assets
- Create the gameplay for Breakout through different input methodsand collision detection
- Include a high scores table in your game and monetise your product on the Playstore
Who this video course is for
If you are looking for a course that will show you how to build Android games using OpenGL ES, you have found it! This video course is just what you need to build your own game for Android devices. All you need to do is sharpen your basic Java skills and you are ready to go.
OpenGL Embedding Systems (ES) is an open source, cross-platform API that provides a strong and viable interface for the stimulation of software and graphics for Android games. It paves the way to make a complete game for Android devices solely using the Android SDK. Being an open source API, OpenGL ES is completely free as opposed to other expensive game engine options.
This video course brings to you a great way to learn the use of OpenGL ES and create brilliant games while creating a framework for any future games that you would like to develop. It is enriched with the theoretical foundations of OpenGL ES along with ways to monetize your game so that you can potentially make money through the Play Store.
You will be introduced to the fundamentals of shaders and how they work in OpenGL, gradually moving into the intricacies of rendering a single cube and developing it to add different types of lighting and texturing. You will also see the implementation of particle effects to explode the cube. Finally, after playing with the key technicalities of building a game and developing the engine, you will put it all together to create the classic game from the 1970s, Breakout, and present it with an edge.
This video course is all about learning the ropes of making a fun game with your own engine, and then being able to create it yourself.
Screenshots from the course
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
An easy-to-grasp video tutorial that enables you to encode games using the Android SDK. Master the art of developing games and build a game yourself through this compact and instructive video course.