Building an Application with CoffeeScript [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results
- DOM manipulation with jQuery and CoffeeScript
- Write your own MVC in order to better understand how and why it’s used
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Wednesday, April 2, 2014
Course Length :
1 hour and 40 minutes
ISBN : 178328367X
ISBN 13 : 9781783283675
Author(s) : Darko Bozhinovski
Topics and Technologies : Video, e-Learning, Open Source
Table of Contents
- CoffeeScript 101 [13:33 minutes]
- A Taste of CoffeeScript
- Concepts and Usage
- Tools and Extras
- Head-first Application Development [13:52 minutes]
- Basics of Object-oriented Programming
- MVC and Using It in Our Project
- Inheritance and Keeping Classes Simple
- The Storage Layer – Models and Data Persistence [14:12 minutes]
- Models and Storage Basics
- Models in Our Application
- Routing and Views [12:23 minutes]
- Introduction to Routing, Controllers, and Views
- Routing and Controllers
- The View Layer
- Interactions and Event Handling – Using JQuery with CoffeeScript [11:24 minutes]
- Local Events
- Global Events
- Extending Our Application – Manipulating Stored Data [13:07 minutes]
- Organizing Application Data
- Extending the Document Classes
- Making Our App More Usable
- Extending Our Application – Add an External Library [11:10 minutes]
- Adding External Libraries
- Modifying Our App for Rich Text Editing
- Exporting Our Documents to PDF
- Publishing and Real-world Usage for Our Documents [11:01 minutes]
- Using Our Documents Offline
- Publishing Files
- What's Next?
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Familiarize yourself with CoffeeScript
- Use CoffeeScript for web app development
- Get to know the build tools that come along with the language (Cake)
- Build a simple framework for your application
- Understand advanced concepts such as inheritance and polymorphism
- Incorporate HTML5 APIs with CoffeeScript
- Refactor your existing CoffeeScript code
Who this video course is for
This video course provides invaluable insight into the practical usefulness of CoffeeScript, how it can simplify web development, and allow us to easily build web applications or re-factor existing ones.
The app we’ll be building is fully extensible so you can easily make it your own. Want a note-taking app? We have you covered. Want to extend the app to something more? By all means, you'll have a skeleton app which you can revamp again and again to build various apps with CoffeeScript.
Screenshots from the course
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
This course covers the fundamentals of CoffeeScript with real-world examples and provides a practical step-by-step approach to building a web app. The course brushes up the basics, bringing you up to speed with all the essentials to building an app, and then dives in to creating the app and publishing it.