Building a Website with Drupal [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results.
- Watch how a community-oriented website including a forum and blog is built using a test server through actual deployment
- Learn how to add fields to existing content types and how to create new ones to match the requirements for a site
- Explore views and more to enhance your site and learn how to build page templates without writing any PHP code
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Monday, September 2, 2013
Course Length : 2 hours and 27 minutes
ISBN : 1782166149
ISBN 13 : 9781782166146
Author(s) : Irene Kraus
Topics and Technologies : Video, e-Learning, Open Source
Table of Contents
- Drupal Basics [12:57 minutes
- Drupal Community
- Resource List Introduction
- Site Discovery Process
- Building the Prototype [1:01:57 minutes]
- Tools & Organization
- Installing XAMPP
- Installing Drupal
- Drupal Tour
- Activating Modules
- User Roles and Permissions
- User Accounts and Location
- Tokens within Taxonomy, Paths, and Titles
- Date Wizard and Calendar
- Content Types and Location
- Advanced Help – Backup/Migrate
- Multimedia [27:09 minutes]
- Multimedia Introduction
- Adding Image Support
- Adding a Rich Text Editor
- Refining Structure – Views [18:58 minutes]
- Drupal Theming [17:05 minutes]
- Theming Introduction
- Deployment and Management [08:41 minutes]
- Migration – Prep Work
- Migration – Final Steps
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Learn how to evaluate the reliability and sustainable factors of add-ons for Drupal
- Set up a test server and install Drupal along with selected add-ons, with links to which stored within the resource list
- Customize content types with fields, create new ones, and set patterns for how they are to be saved and organized
- Learn how to add libraries with a rich-text editor and establish limitations for roles such as what HTML tags can be used for
- Use views to define pages, blocks, or feeds containing content pulled from the database
- Create a custom theme without writing any PHP that is HTML5-based for built-in support for mobile devices
- Prepare the site for migration to another web server
Who this video course is for
Building a Website with Drupal is for people with little or no knowledge of developing a website. A background in using HTML and CSS is the minimal skillset needed to get started with using Drupal through the course. Also, usage of FTP client software to transfer files from your own machine to a remote server and interaction within the control panel of a hosting company is assumed. Familiarity with other web software systems is not a requirement.
Drupal is without a doubt the leading open source CMS today. With its huge usage and user base as well as the large number of add-ons, it can be adapted to suit the needs of most modern websites. Furthermore, thanks to the nature of the Drupal.org website itself, it is much easier these days to make sound decisions on what add-ons to use that will meet sustainability requirements in the future.
Drupal’s highly adaptable nature in managing sites is greatly desired. However, it is quite different than other CMS software as it is also intended to act as a CMF. That initial learning curve when first starting to use Drupal is the challenge that seems to dissuade designers from using it. With Building a Website with Drupal, you will learn everything you need to know about how to build a website using Drupal, beginning with installing a test server, building a prototype and custom theme, all the way through to deployment. Topics such as the usage of views and other common add-ons, downloading editor files and the WYSIWYG module, and integrating the open source Tiny MCE editor are covered.
Building a Website with Drupal is aimed at those with web designer skills wishing to learn how to use Drupal to build sites. Beginning with a tour of the Drupal site, the attention shifts to establishing a web test server that is setup to house the prototype. Various customization topics are covered for content types, menus, and views. Building a custom theme without writing any PHP is covered next. The final steps of this course include prep work for migration to an actual web server.
Surmount the initial learning curve associated with building sites using Drupal by studying how a community site is put together.
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
The course begins with a discussion of the basic fundamentals of using Drupal before moving on to more in-depth concepts and topics in a step-by-step manner, with very useful and real-world examples for the viewers to learn and follow without any difficulty.