Building a Road using Civil 3D [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results
- Design a road in Civil 3D using alignments, profiles, and corridors
- Explore how you can automate tasks using Civil 3D’s dynamic modeling system
- Based on a real-world project on building roads so that you get a complete understanding of using Civil 3D objects in your own projects
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Tuesday, April 8, 2014
Course Length :
2 hours 22 minutes
ISBN : 1783550074
ISBN 13 : 9781783550074
Author(s) : Seth Cohen
Topics and Technologies : Other, Video
Table of Contents
- An Introduction to Civil 3D and Its Interface [12:05 minutes]
- What Is Civil 3D?
- What You Should Expect from This Course
- Working with the Dataset for This Course
- The Civil 3D Workspace
- Civil 3D Settings and Styles
- Working with Surfaces [23:08 minutes]
- Surfaces Overview
- Adding Data to a Surface
- Surface Properties
- Editing Surfaces
- Surface Labels
- Creating Alignments [22:47 minutes]
- Alignment Overview
- Alignment – Element Constraints
- Creating Alignments – The PI Method
- Creating Alignments – The Fixed, Floating, and Free Methods
- Alignment Properties
- Alignment Reporting
- Alignment Labels and Tables
- Creating Profiles [20:53 minutes]
- Profile Overview
- Surface Profiles and Profile Views
- Design Profiles
- Editing Profiles
- Profile and Profile View Labeling
- Profile Reporting
- Assemblies and Subassemblies [14:38 minutes]
- Assembly and Subassembly Overview
- Creating Assemblies for Corridor Modeling
- Modifying Assemblies
- Copying Assemblies to a Tool Palette
- Corridors [36:50 minutes]
- Corridor Overview
- Creating a Corridor
- Target Mapping
- Corridor Properties
- Corridor Surfaces
- Reviewing and Editing Corridor Sections
- An Overview of Intersections
- Creating Intersections
- Reviewing and Editing Intersections
- Pipe Networks [25:35 minutes]
- Pipe Networks Overview
- Configuring Pipe Networks
- Laying Out a Pipe Network
- Editing Pipe Networks
- Interference Checking with Pipe Networks
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Examine the Civil 3D interface and its components to effectively use the settings and style system
- Create surfaces from survey data and standard AutoCAD objects
- Edit the surface properties and add surface labels such as spot elevations, slope labels, and contour labels
- Design and edit alignments and use additional labeling tools such as station offset, tangent, and curve labels
- Make a surface profile which is dynamically linked to the existing ground
- Build assemblies and subassemblies which are the building blocks for a corridor model
- Construct a corridor model and analyze its anatomy
- Plan an intersection and use different ways to review and edit the intersection corridor model
- Lay out pipe networks and run an interference check with other pipe networks in your project
Who this video course is for
If you are a civil engineer or infrastructure professional with an interest in building a road with Civil 3D, this course is perfect for you. A basic understanding of using AutoCAD is expected.
Designing roads is a complex engineering process, and Civil 3D is a powerful tool that aids you in this process. Civil 3D comes with a dynamic modelling system that combines a variety of its easy-to-use tools to automate tasks and generate all the necessary components needed to design and build a road.
This course starts off with an overview of the interface of Civil 3D, showing you how Civil 3D applies settings and styles to automate object placement. Building on this knowledge, you will learn to create and edit surfaces, alignments, and profiles. Once you have the core components to roadway modeling ready, you will discover how to create assemblies and subassemblies which are the building blocks of your corridor. You will then build your corridor model, and learn how to use the intersection design wizard to create a complete road.
Finally, you will learn how to lay out and edit a pipe network. By the end of this course, you will be able to apply what you've learnt to create all Civil 3D objects necessary to build a road.
Screenshots from the course
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
Using concise step-by-step visual instructions, this course provides you with an understanding of the basic workflows needed to create Civil 3D objects with the help of a real-world project.