Building a 2D Game with GameMaker: Studio [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results
- Learn how to use GameMaker: Studio and its interface
- Program in Game Maker Language (GML)
- Create your very own artificial intelligence
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Monday, April 7, 2014
Course Length :
2 hours 13 minutes
ISBN : 1783558768
ISBN 13 : 9781783558766
Author(s) : Nathan Auckett
Topics and Technologies : Game Development, Other, Video
Table of Contents
- The GameMaker: Studio Interface [28:19 minutes]
- The New Project Window
- The Main Interface
- The Resource Interface
- GameMaker: Studio's Preferences
- GameMaker's Drop-down Menu
- The Basics of Game Maker Language [20:07 minutes]
- A First Look at Game Maker Language
- Game Maker Language Functions
- The If Statement
- For and While Loops
- Creating Objects and Assigning Properties [08:03 minutes]
- The Basic Use of Objects
- Using Sprites with Objects
- Basic Animation [04:46 minutes]
- Animating with GameMaker: Studio
- Animated Sprites and Objects
- Movement and Object Interaction [10:42 minutes]
- Creating Movements
- Object Collisions and Interactions
- Buttons and Changing Levels
- Advanced Movement [22:33 minutes]
- Setting Up Stats for the Player
- Coding Advanced Movements
- Sprite Control
- Implementing Gameplay Features [19:31 minutes]
- Creating an Objective
- Obstacles and Death
- Creating Enemies
- Health and Scores
- Creating a Simple AI [19:10 minutes]
- States and Variables
- Coding States
- Attack and Death
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Familiarize yourself with the GameMaker: Studio interface
- Program using Game Maker Language (GML)
- Animate sprites in GameMaker: Studio
- Link key presses to object behavior
- Program advanced movement including gravity, friction, and jumps
- Add a HUD with a score counter and health monitor
- Create enemies, obstacles, and objectives for your games
- Create an artificial intelligence and a more challenging game
Who this video course is for
This course is perfect for people just getting started with GameMaker: Studio. No previous knowledge of GameMaker: Studio is required, and any experience in game development would be handy, but not vital.
GameMaker: Studio is a fairly cheap, but solid entry route into game development. Due to a low startup cost, cheap asset pipelines, and the ability to publish games without paying royalties, it's a great way for novice game developers to produce their first games without having to first learn a complex programming language. An inbuilt and easy-to-understand programming language called Game Maker Language (GML) can be used to program your games and create advanced systems with ease.
Building a 2D Game with GameMaker: Studio will demonstrate everything from the main interface and programming to creating an artificial intelligence, teaching you everything you need to know in order to create your own games in GameMaker: Studio.
This course is a step-by-step walkthrough that will showcase GameMaker: Studio and Game Maker Language (GML) through a series of small, practical examples. These examples consist of concise videos that demonstrate the essential programming techniques and concepts that you'll need to get started in game development.
You'll begin with an overview of the interface to familiarize yourself with it, and steadily work your way towards building a platformer with all the usual trimmings such as a score counter, health monitor, enemies, and even artificial intelligence.
You will then learn about things such as animating sprites, using objects, best practices when creating resources, and much more, all of which leads up to creating a platformer game.
Building a 2D Game with GameMaker: Studio covers everything you need to use GameMaker: Studio and will lay the groundwork for future games of your own.
Screenshots from the course
Learn the ins and outs of the main GameMaker interface.
Learn about Game Maker Language functions
Create movements using the GML code
Setting up stats for the player that will make the player object function
Challenge your player by creating a moving enemy
Take your first step toward creating an artificial intelligence
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
This course is a step-by-step walkthrough that will showcase GameMaker: Studio and Game Maker Language (GML) through a series of small, practical examples. You'll begin with an overview of the UI and interface to familiarize yourself with how things work, and steadily work your way towards building a platformer.