Build a Network Application with Node [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results.
- Offers the reader a primer in node conventions, along with best practices for publishing modules, optimizing performance, and organizing code
- Step-by-step examples that demonstrate how to progressively enhance your app
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Thursday, November 28, 2013
Course Length : 2 hours and 20 minutes
ISBN : 1782168273
ISBN 13 : 9781782168270
Author(s) : Joe Stanco
Topics and Technologies : Video, e-Learning, Open Source
Table of Contents
- Getting Started with Node [5:35 minutes]
- Installing Node and Running a Server
- Deconstructing an HTTP Server
- Node Modules [14:53 minutes]
- The CommonJS Module Specifications
- Loading Modules
- Managing Module Dependencies
- Managing Packages with npm
- Configuring and Publishing a Package
- Understanding Events [11:52 minutes]
- The Event Loop and NextTick()
- Asynchronous Programming and Nonblocking I/O
- Callback Patterns
- Pub/Sub with EventEmitter
- Working with File Streams [11:29 minutes]
- Managing the File System
- Reading and Writing Files
- Reading and Writing Streams
- Running an HTTP Server [11:58 minutes]
- Building an HTTP Server
- Serving Static Files
- Performance Tuning
- The Connect Framework [9:52 minutes]
- Using HTTP Middleware
- Building a Static Server with Connect
- Tuning a Connect Server
- The Express Framework [15:44 minutes]
- Using a Web Application Framework
- Generating Logs and Handling Errors
- Storing Data in a Session
- Building a To-Do App with Express
- Using View Templates [12:52 minutes]
- Choosing a Template Engine
- Rendering the View Templates
- Advanced Templating Features
- Data Storage [23:31 minutes]
- Installing MongoDB and Mongoose
- Creating a Database Interface
- Defining a Model
- Performing CRUD Operations
- Using Subdocuments
- Using Socket.IO [11:51 minutes]
- Real-Time Communication with Socket.IO
- Pushing Notifications
- Publishing Content Updates
- Automated Testing [10:23 minutes]
- Installing a Test Framework
- Writing Integration Tests
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Configure and publish a Node package
- Handle data flows with Node's new Stream2 API
- Build and optimize a static web server
- Reuse more code with Connect middleware components
- Implement an app using a higher level framework like Express
- Create, read, update, and delete documents in a MongoDB collection
- Transmit data over web sockets in real time with Socket.IO
Who this video course is for
This comprehensive video tutorial will take you from a beginner-level programmer and teach you everything you need to know to get productive with Node. Fundamental concepts are illustrated with brief examples and many sample projects that help grasp the complex functionality in an easy manner.
With a primer on modules and npm, you'll understand how to work with building blocks of Node and publish your own creations. Accelerated development with frameworks like Express will make your app more responsive with caching and real-time communication.
This course is an indispensible guide to building a Node app, whether from the ground up or with the help of higher-level frameworks.
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
This video course covers the fundamentals while teaching you the practical applications of these concepts to build a network app, use high-level frameworks, and test the app.