Beginning Yii [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results
- Build a real-world, user-based, and sophisticated web application using an iterative development approach with the Yii development framework
- Write less code by using Yii’s application generation tools
- Learn how to use the fully-integrated automated testing tools such as PHPUnit and Selenium efficiently
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Monday, July 29, 2013
Course Length : 2 hours 44 minutes
ISBN : 1782164480
ISBN 13 : 9781782164487
Author(s) : Chris Backhouse
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Video, Web Development, Open Source
Table of Contents
- Exploring Yii [16:13 minutes]
- Introduction to the Course
- What Is a Framework?
- What Is an MVC?
- MVC Request Routing
- Introducing Yii
- Getting Started with Yii [19:12 minutes]
- Getting Started with Yii
- Generating a Web Application with Yii
- Configuring Yii
- Developing a Photo Gallery Application
- Using Gii to Generate the CRUD Application
- Starting Development (Using our IDE) [24:32 minutes]
- Introducing the CActiveRecord Object
- Forms and the CHtml Component
- Using Third-party Extensions to Enhance Functionality
- Simplifying Database Queries Using Yii's ActiveRecord Class
- Creating and Updating Our Album Model
- Embedding a Subform
- Testing Your Application [18:37 minutes]
- Testing Our Application
- Setting Up Our Test Environment
- Creating a Unit Test to Automate the Testing of Common Tasks
- Using Fixtures
- Functional Testing with Selenium Server
- The Photo Application [19:52 minutes]
- Installing Yii Extensions
- Preparing the Forms and Inserting the Uploader Widget
- Building a Controller Action to Upload and Crunch Our Images
- Understanding the GridView and Customizing It's Layout
- Adding Finishing Touches to the Photo Album Management Forms
- Themes, Layout, and User Access [20:14 minutes]
- Theming an Application
- Modifying the Default System Layout to Modify the Menus
- User Authentication – The Default Yii Model
- Extending the Yii User Model to Suit Our Application
- Understanding the Yii Security Model
- Debugging, Logging, and Error Handling in Yii [24:05 minutes]
- Using Xdebug to Debug Your Applications in Real Time
- Configuring Yii to Use Different Log Routes
- Profiling SQL queries
- Installing and Using the Yii Debug Toolbar Extension
- Exception Handling in Yii Using the CException and CHttpException classes
- Customizing our Album Interface [21:29 minutes]
- Including Tags -Part 1
- Including Tags – Part 2 and Using Model Behaviors
- Using Lookups and Dropdown-List Boxes
- Adding the Comment Add and Display Forms
- Deploying Our Photo Application
Associated code downloads are included in the zip file of the purchased video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Understand the basics of OOP, MVCs, and how to install and set up Yii
- Generate the Yii application from your database model
- Query databases using the Yii ActiveRecord class
- Setup, install, and use automated testing tools such as PHPUnit and the Selenium web server
- Search and install third-party extensions
- Upload and manipulate images within Yii
- Enhance user experience by using themes and layouts in Yii
- Implement user authentication and customize default classes to suit your application
- Carry out debugging, logging, and error handling in Yii
Who this video course is for
If you are a PHP developer, either with or without previous framework experience, and you have an interest to learn Yii and to rapidly develop modern, sophisticated web applications, then this course is for you. No prior knowledge of Yii is expected.
PHP frameworks are becoming the norm in PHP development, and Yii is emerging as one of the top frameworks to use. The Yii PHP framework provides an application skeleton into which a developer can “drop” their code, providing huge efficiency benefits over standard “long-hand” PHP development. This video course will help you to learn Yii quickly and in more depth for use in coding the Yii framework.
Beginning Yii will get you up and running with the Yii framework in no time, with everything from an introduction to frameworks and Object Oriented Programming (OOP) to building a fully-functional application in an iterative development approach.
After a brief, general introduction to the Yii framework and outlining the software development approach taken throughout the course, the sections of this course break down in the same way as software development iterations are done in real-world projects.
Starting with the basics of installing and configuring Yii, you will learn how to use the Yii application generator to build your first fully working application with just one command. You will then move on to a step-by-step progression to tailoring this to your requirements by including database access methods and manipulating queries as well as using sub-forms and third-party plugins. This course also covers how to use the fully integrated auto-testing tools such as PHPUnit and Selenium, uploading and crunching images, using themes, user security and authentication, debugging and logging, and finally how to configure your application for deployment.
By the end of Beginning Yii, you will be fully conversant with the Yii framework, and you will be able to confidently build applications.
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
Beginning Yii is a step-by-step tutorial for developing web applications using Yii. This video course follows the iterative approach to software development while developing a photo gallery website.