Beginning Yii [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results.
- Develop sophisticated Web 2.0 apps using PHP and Yii
- Ideal for PHP developers new to Yii and framework-based development
- Build powerful, reliable, and scalable apps fast
- Clear and concise video tutorials from an experienced Yii developer
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Monday, July 29, 2013
Course Length : 2 hours 44 minutes
ISBN : 1782164480
ISBN 13 : 9781782164487
Author(s) : Chris Backhouse
Topics and Technologies : Video, Web Development, Open Source
Table of Contents
- Exploring Yii [16:13 minutes]
- Introduction to the Course
- What Is a Framework?
- What Is an MVC?
- MVC Request Routing
- Introducing Yii
- Getting Started with Yii [19:12 minutes]
- Getting Started with Yii
- Generating a Web Application with Yii
- Configuring Yii
- Developing a Photo Gallery Application
- Using Gii to Generate the CRUD Application
- Starting Development (Using our IDE) [24:32 minutes]
- Introducing the CActiveRecord Object
- Forms and the CHtml Component
- Using Third-party Extensions to Enhance Functionality
- Simplifying Database Queries Using Yii's ActiveRecord Class
- Creating and Updating Our Album Model
- Embedding a Subform
- Testing Your Application [18:37 minutes]
- Testing Our Application
- Setting Up Our Test Environment
- Creating a Unit Test to Automate the Testing of Common Tasks
- Using Fixtures
- Functional Testing with Selenium Server
- The Photo Application [19:52 minutes]
- Installing Yii Extensions
- Preparing the Forms and Inserting the Uploader Widget
- Building a Controller Action to Upload and Crunch Our Images
- Understanding the GridView and Customizing It's Layout
- Adding Finishing Touches to the Photo Album Management Forms
- Themes, Layout, and User Access [20:14 minutes]
- Theming an Application
- Modifying the Default System Layout to Modify the Menus
- User Authentication – The Default Yii Model
- Extending the Yii User Model to Suit Our Application
- Understanding the Yii Security Model
- Debugging, Logging, and Error Handling in Yii [24:05 minutes]
- Using Xdebug to Debug Your Applications in Real Time
- Configuring Yii to Use Different Log Routes
- Profiling SQL queries
- Installing and Using the Yii Debug Toolbar Extension
- Exception Handling in Yii Using the CException and CHttpException classes
- Customizing our Album Interface [21:29 minutes]
- Including Tags -Part 1
- Including Tags – Part 2 and Using Model Behaviors
- Using Lookups and Dropdown-List Boxes
- Adding the Comment Add and Display Forms
- Deploying Our Photo Application
Associated code downloads are included in the zip file of the purchased video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
Yii is a fast, secure, and professional web development framework that makes PHP ideal for Web 2.0 applications. The Beginning Yii video course shows you how to rapidly develop sophisticated and reliable web apps using PHP and Yii.
Using screencast demonstrations and clear explanations, this friendly video course will show you how to:
- Install and configure Yii on your existing web stack
- Create working prototypes in a single command using Yii application generators
- Develop applications that follow the popular Model-View-Controller methodology
- Manipulate data from various sources with the ActiveRecord class
- Find and use powerful third party extensions, quickly adding functionality to your apps
- Improve your site’s look and feel with themes and layouts
- Test and debug your application with PHPUnit and Selenium
- Build solid error handlers
- Serve custom images from your Yii code
- Deploy your application to a live server environment
Throughout the videos Chris Backhouse shares his practical experiences as a Yii developer in a clear, friendly manner. If you’ve never used Yii before you’ll be amazed how quickly it enables you to build powerful and reliable applications.
You’ve heard about the benefits of web frameworks for web application developers. Now watch Beginning Yii and experience these benefits for yourself.
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
Beginning Yii is a step-by-step tutorial for developing web applications using Yii. This video course follows the iterative approach to software development while developing a photo gallery website.