Bazaar Version Control
|Also available on:|
- Gain an understanding of what version control is, and how you can benefit and effectively use it to collaborate with other people
- Place any project under version control and track the history of changes easily
- Understand all the core operations and the most common workflows through practical examples and clear explanations
- Learn advanced workflows through a step-by-step approach covering increasingly complex topics and situations of collaboration
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 402 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : June 2013
ISBN : 1849513562
ISBN 13 : 9781849513562
Author(s) : Janos Gyerik
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Application Development, Open Source
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Getting Started
Chapter 2: Diving into Bazaar
Chapter 3: Using Branches
Chapter 4: Using Bazaar in a Small Team
Chapter 5: Working with Bazaar in Centralized Mode
Chapter 6: Working with Bazaar in Distributed Mode
Chapter 7: Integrating Bazaar in CDE
Chapter 8: Using the Advanced Features of Bazaar
Chapter 9: Using Bazaar Together with Other VCS
Chapter 10: Programming Bazaar
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Errata- 1 submitted: last submission 30 Aug 2013
Support Page no: 36, 58, 123
Bazaar Explorer in Windows, Linux and Mac OS X does not show the large Work, Start and Send buttons
To access the Appearance tab of the Settings screen use:
In Windows: Tools / Options
In Linux: Edit / Preferences
In Mac OS X: Python / Preferences
The screen has multiple tabs, the first tab is called Appearance. In the Toolbar, change the value of Contents to "expanded". This will show the buttons the book talks about.
What you will learn from this book
- Understand the core principles of version control
- Learn all the version control operations and how to use them effectively
- Understand the simple intuition that is consistently behind all the operations in Bazaar, enabling you to perform from simple to advanced operations easily and confidently
- Put any project under version control right now and start tracking your changes
- Collaborate with others, whether in a peer-to-peer, centralized-style, or decentralized-style workflow
- Learn how to combine basic workflows in order to create more complex custom workflows best suited for your team and project
- Combine the command-line interface and the graphical interface effectively, using whichever is best suited for a given purpose
- Integrate Bazaar with collaborative tools such as Launchpad, Trac, Bugzilla, Redmine, and others
- Use Bazaar together with other version control systems such as Subversion or Git
Bazaar is a version control system that enables you to track your changes, browse the history of revisions, or revert to a previous state with ease. You can benefit greatly from the principles and practical uses of version control with Bazaar in any software project.
This book will walk you through the principles and basic and advanced operations of version control, taking a step-by-step approach covering increasingly complex topics and situations of collaboration. Packed with examples, the book aims to give you a thorough understanding of the subject in order to get you fully comfortable using this powerful, highly intuitive and consistent tool in any project and workflow thrown at you.
The book starts by introducing the fundamentals of version control to first-time users. After explaining the basic principles, we dive into action covering the various operations and workflows of version control using Bazaar. Topics are covered in increasing order of complexity from solo mode, peer-to-peer, centralized-style, and ultimately distributed-style. The book also covers advanced subjects such as integration with collaborative environments and other version control systems, as well as using Bazaar programmatically and creating plugins. This book will help you gain solid knowledge about version control and enable you to use Bazaar effectively in your projects.
This book is a step-by-step tutorial for beginner to intermediate developers who want to get started with Bazaar quickly.
Who this book is for
This book is designed for anyone who may be new to version control systems. If you are a programmer or a system administrator, you can benefit greatly from using Bazaar in your projects. To those already familiar with version control systems, this book should serve as a fast and easy way to understand Bazaar.