BackTrack - Testing Wireless Network Security
|Also available on:|
- Make your wireless networks bulletproof
- Easily secure your network from intruders
- See how the hackers do it and learn how to defend yourself
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 108 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : June 2013
ISBN : 1782164065
ISBN 13 : 9781782164067
Author(s) : Kevin Cardwell
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Networking and Servers, Networking & Telephony, Open Source
Table of ContentsPreface
Chapter 1: Installing and Configuring BackTrack
Chapter 2: Working with the Wireless Card
Chapter 3: Surveying Your Wireless Zone
Chapter 4: Breaching Wireless Security
Chapter 5: Securing Your Wireless Network
Appendix: Wireless Tools
- Chapter 1: Installing and Configuring BackTrack
- Downloading and configuring BackTrack
- Installing BackTrack
- Updating BackTrack
- Validating the interfaces
- Customizing Gnome
- New wave theme
- Creating a virtual machine
- Chapter 2: Working with the Wireless Card
- Checking card compatibility
- Detecting the wireless card during the boot process
- Detecting the wireless card using iwconfig
- Configuring the wireless card
- Wireless card modes
- Protocol analysis with the network card
- Chapter 3: Surveying Your Wireless Zone
- Exploring devices
- Working with tools
- Using Kismet for access point discovery
- Discovering hidden access points
- Chapter 4: Breaching Wireless Security
- Different types of attacks
- Cracking WEP and WPA
- Performing an attack using WEP and ChopChop
- Chapter 5: Securing Your Wireless Network
- Configuring initial wireless security
- Defending from surveillance
- Configuring encryption
- Settings that provide protection from masquerade and rogue AP attacks
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- Update and configure the Backtrack tool
- Analyze your wireless card for compatibility
- Scavenge access points, even ones with a cloaked SSID
- Pilfer information from the wireless spectrum and analyze it
- Scrutinize the Radio Frequency data and identify wireless network traffic
- Dissect wireless protocols at the packet level
- Classify attacks against wireless networks
- Deploy defenses against common attacks
Wireless networks are everywhere. You have probably set one up yourself, but have you ever wondered just how safe you are while browsing online? In the majority of cases, the default settings for your networks are not enough to protect you. With your data being transferred over the air, it can be easily plucked and used by anyone who knows how. Don't let it happen to you.
BackTrack - Testing Wireless Network Security will help you secure your wireless networks and keep your personal data safe. With this book, you will learn how to configure your hardware for optimum security, find network security holes, and fix them.
BackTrack - Testing Wireless Network Security looks at what tools hackers use and shows you how to defend yourself against them. Taking you from no prior knowledge all the way to a fully secure environment, this guide provides useful tips every step of the way. Learn how to select a wireless card to work with the Backtrack tools, run spectrum analysis scans using kismet, set up test networks, and perform attacks against wireless networks. Use the tools aircrack-ng and airodump-ng to crack the wireless encryption used on the network.
You will learn everything you need to know to set up your wireless network for use within Backtrack and also how to defend yourself against the included attack tools.
Written in an easy-to-follow step-by-step format, you will be able to get started in next to no time with minimal effort and zero fuss.
Who this book is for
BackTrack - Testing Wireless Network Security is for anyone who has an interest in security and who wants to know more about wireless networks.
All you need is some experience with networks and computers and you will be ready to go.