Work For Packt Publishing in central Birmingham
Packt Publishing is a young, ground-breaking computer book publishing company with a large and fast growing online customer base. With a highly ranked website and innovating constantly into new business areas, we are at the cutting-edge of digital publishing, web marketing and ecommerce development.
Our unique strategy of publishing highly focused books on new and ground breaking technologies has driven rapid growth and we are now poised for expansion. This can be seen from our recent move to new offices in the heart of Birmingham. To know more, click here.
If you are interested in joining our growing team of publishing professionals in Birmingham UK, then please download the application form, fill it out, then email it back to: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any recruitment related queries, please contact Trish Weir on 0121 265 6484 Ext 241.
You must be qualified to work in the UK. No agencies please.
We are now hiring at Packt Publishing in Birmingham
Vacancy: Research Associate(Contract)
Project Brief: Birmingham Baccalaureate Proposal on behalf of Gisela Stuart, MP
Location: Offices of Packt Publishing, Livery Place, 35 Livery Street, Birmingham B3 2PB
Reporting to: Rachel Maclean, Director, Packt Publishing
Start Date: Monday 1 October
Duration: 6 months
Working Hours: Full Time, 40 hours (flexi hours and work from home possible by negotiation)
Holidays: 2.5 days per month plus bank holidays
Remuneration: (£25-£35K range per annum, depending on experience and skills, plus milestone related on time bonuses)
The Birmingham Baccalaureate is an initiative spearheaded by Gisela Stuart, MP (Lab)
Its aims are:
A Birmingham Standard for Achievement
- To work with schools, universities and the business community to develop a bespoke Birmingham Baccalaureate, designed to equip young people for the world of work. It will be a new Standard for Achievement that builds on the core of subjects in the English Baccalaureate, but also brings together the skills and competencies developed through education, work experience, training, volunteering, the creative arts, sports and participation in civic life. It will put learning and employability skills at the centre of the curriculum.
- There will be a guaranteed interview for jobs or training by the City Council and the subscriber business organisations to the Birmingham Baccalaureate for every young applicant who achieves accreditation in the classroom.
This is a multi-stakeholder project involving parties across the public sphere and political spectrum working together to improve life chances of young people in Birmingham, a city with a significant youth unemployment problem.
The job of the researcher will be to specify the components of the employer-led curriculum which will be at the heart of the Birmingham Baccalaureate. The outcome of your research will be recommendations, based on your communications with local employers, specifying what skills and experience they would like young people to learn in schools, so that they would be employable in their organisations.
You will be working in Packt's offices and will be expected to work independently but with regular contact with other stakeholders and with Packt's management team. Packt Publishing is a privately held company, as an employer of Birmingham young people we have a vested interest in the quality of education in the city, and we are also a donor to Gisela Stuart. You will be an employee of Packt Publishing for the duration of the project who will also fund all associated expenses.
Key project activities:
- Play a key role in developing the research brief, scope and outline
- Information and literature review
- Build employer database
- Execute research according to the brief and using a variety of appropriate methods
- Analysis and reporting
- You will have a good degree or an equivalent qualification, at Master's level in a social science discipline, or other relevant discipline. As part of this you
will have studied statistical methods. You will have knowledge of research on areas such as education policy, economics, employment, skills development.
- Excellent research and writing skills, including experience of creating research project outlines
- First class accurate analytical skills, including experience of working with data, producing charts and graphs
- Ability to manage yourself and work to tight deadlines
- You will be expected to play a key role in steering, scoping and creating the research brief, as such you must be able to demonstrate an understanding of the purpose and outcomes of the project, and show an ability to synthesise information from diverse sources
- Professional communication skills, you will be expected to communicate with local employers to build up a contacts database
Any experience of similar projects would be an advantage as would experience of working in a commercial environment.
How to apply:
Send your CV to Rachel Maclean on email@example.com stating why you would be suitable for the post. Applications will close 21 September 2012.
Don't hesitate to get in touch on 0121 265 6484 with any questions you may have about the post or the research work itself.
Graduate Business Analyst
- IT Publishing - Products and Platforms Team
- Full Time, Permanent
- Location, Birmingham, Colmore Business District
- Salary £20,000-£25,000 depending on skills and experience
- Brand new Birmingham City Centre offices convenient for all forms of public transport
- Flexible working hours
- Informal Dress
- Generous pension scheme
Start Date: as soon as possible depending on candidate availability
Due to business expansion we are looking for a Graduate Business Analyst to join the Products and Platforms team in this fast growing dynamic company.
In this role you will work to train and build skills in requirements gathering, design and project coordination for the many exciting projects we have planned in the development strategy. Reporting to and receiving mentoring from the Products and Platforms Manager and team, this is a new role and a great opportunity for someone looking to build a career in Business Analysis.
Eight years old, and Packt Publishing has gone from being a start up to a market leader in its sector. We publish specialized IT books, videos and articles which enable tech professionals the world over to solve their problems and get their jobs done. You'll be working with a team of dedicated professionals in a non-hierarchical, small/ medium sized office. Our culture is open and informal but focussed on performance and learning.
Great people are at the heart of Packt's success story. You will be challenged to grow and develop in your role, and given plenty of support to do it. You'll have a lot of responsibility right from the beginning and career progression is assured through a structured system of job levels and development.
The Packt Product & Platforms Team is a Strategic Planning and Tactical Management team for both customer facing and internal company platforms development. They are the central hub for coordinating between the business, operations and external developers/consultants in order to implement systems projects and changes, and manage the focus of developments towards the strategy.
This is a recently created and developing team and we are looking for people with the motivation to learn and build their role, and actively develop the efficiency of the team over time.
The Gradudate Business Analyst role is a key role in the team and represents a superb opportunity to build your career in I.T. related Business Analysis and contribute meaningfully to the success of the business overall.
The successful candidate will be required to perform the following activities with support and guidance from the rest of the team:
- Proactively communicate and collaborate with customers (publishing divisions and Packt customer groups) to analyse information needs and functional requirements.
- Serve as the conduit between the customer community and the software development team through which requirements flow.
- Deliver Requirements Specifications, and Functional Design Documents containing project and system functionality requirements.
- Perform research and analysis of potential solutions, and opportunities for continuously improving our platforms.
- Collaborate with developers and subject matter experts to understand trade-offs between solution options, usability, costing and performance needs of solutions.
- Work with the team and the business to ensure projects are delivered to the expectations of customer community.
- Various activities as delegated by the team manager and those dictated by the changes within Packt business and needs of the Product and Platforms team.
We welcome applicants with the drive to further their experience and career. The role will suit a graduate with either some experience of working in a business analyst role, or the desire to learn the ropes of business analysis and coordinating IT development projects.
At Packt we are committed to career development of each individual. Your progression is assured as we work with you to develop your skills to take on new challenges.
- A degree in any area, preferably an I.T/technical related subject.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- The drive to learn and take on new and varied challenges that arise, and actively contribute into the development of procedures for the team.
- Eligible to work in the UK.
- Excellent computer literacy skills and be proficient in Microsoft office applications.
- Strongly desirable to have a keen interest in the latest digital trends and emerging technologies, including social media, mobile and tablets.
This is an excellent opportunity to build your business analysis career working in the fast paced I.T publishing industry. Working for a small and fast growing company offers flexible and rapid career growth and development for talented people, in this instance opportunity to build into a senior business analyst role in future.
The successful applicant will receive a base salary in the region of £20,000-£25,000 (negotiable) depending on skills and experience. The package also includes:
- A performance related bonus scheme; on target earnings of 25% of base salary
- A 10% employer contribution to your pension scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Informal dress code
How to apply
Please apply by emailing your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. You should also include a covering letter answering the following questions:
- Why are you applying for the role?
- What makes you suitable for the role?
- What relevant experience do you have?
Applications must be received by 10th August and if successful, you will be contacted with details of the next stage of the selection process. We are sorry, but we are unable to acknowledge all applications individually. If you have not heard from us by 30th August you have not been selected to proceed to the next stage.
We do not use recruitment agencies, thank you.
Please contact Trish Weir, on email@example.com for an in-confidence chat about any aspect of the role or the company.
Assistant Entrepreneur - New Publishing Business in HR/Training Market
Start a business, think, have ideas, talk about them - and get paid a decent salary.
I admit, "Assistant Entrepreneur" is not a run of the mill job title. But this is no ordinary job. And so it requires an exceptional type of person - one who can think, have ideas, talk about those ideas and, of course, who will get paid a decent salary too.
Here's the background: Packt Publishing, a highly successfully business and a market leader in its field, now wants to invest time and resources in building a new and profitable business.
Packt publishes in the IT sector. The long term vision has always been to develop its unique business model and expand its products out of the IT arena into the market of business skills training.
This is where you, the prospective candidate, come in. To get this exciting venture (working title "Impackt") off the ground, an entrepreneurial person is needed to work with me, Rachel Maclean, the Founding Director, to establish the strategy for the business and drive it forward.
The mission of Impackt is to help SMEs that don't have extensive training budgets or expertise but want to up-skill staff and improve business performance. We'll do this by publishing a set of complete, competitively priced, ready to use, "off the shelf" training materials on a comprehensive range of business skills and competency topics. These products will enable managers, HR staff, and in- or out-of-house L and D professionals to train employees, staff or clients efficiently, effectively and economically.
Ideally, the right person for this new role will have a good mix of learning and development, business training and HR experience alongside some exposure to an environment where delivery of commercial results is important.
Ideally, the right person for this new role will have a good mix of solid commissioning and product development experience, possibly, although not exclusively, in publishing, alongside some exposure to an environment where delivery of commercial results is important.
If you have got out there and done your own thing, maybe as a trainer, consultant or freelancer, or have ever started something from scratch and made it work - then you would be the sort of person I am looking for.
You can probably tell that right now the "person specification" and "job description" don't exist. That doesn't mean that I don't take these things seriously, I do - but I need the successful candidate to spec these out when they are in the role.
What this job will involve
- Developing and refining the details of the business strategy and vision
- Having a good knowledge of the needs of L and D, business training and HR professionals
- Defining your own role and other roles as required in the team in the light of the above
- Creating a business plan
- Executing the business plan
- Constant learning
- Thinking for yourself
- Getting things done, sticking to timelines and delivering results
- Looking after and managing yourself, being resilient, reliable, and a pleasure to have around
- Being positive, a solver rather than a creator of problems, not easily discouraged
- Balancing the long term strategy vision with the reality of day to day details
- Working directly for me, the Founding Director
What this job will not involve
- Being told what to do every day
- Following guidelines, rules or processes set up by someone else
- Working in a large organisation with a set of structures
- Having a manager who knows all the answers. Your manager (me) will not know the answers to most of your questions. It will be a process of learning together. Get used to being asked; "what do you think?"
What sort of person will get the job
- You buy into the business mission and vision
- You have lots of ideas (doesn't really matter if they are good or not)
- You are a great communicator
- You handle pressure well
- You are not afraid of technology. (By that, I don't mean that you are an expert but that you can see why it's used in businesses, and you are happy to have a go at basic IT tasks such as starting blogs, social media, using various apps and packages, analysing data, maybe setting up a website - things that can be done without specialist IT knowledge.)
- You can identify your own learning/development needs and suggest sensible ways of meeting them
- You can see a vision for the future and you can move towards it
- You are bold
- You'll be the second full time person to join the team so you must be excited about the idea of working in a recently started organisation and having the chance to get in at the start, shaping its future
- The characteristics listed above are more important than specific experience, although the more you know about the way our prospective customers think and behave, the better
Where we will work
Although we will be a subsidiary of Packt Publishing and initially work out of its new and shiny offices in central Birmingham, we intend in time to move to separate premises in the city and establish our own identity.
The salary range is £25-£35K. But don't be put off if you have read this far, love the idea of working for Impackt but currently earn more than this. I'd still like to talk to you. Equally if you are less experienced and this would be a big jump for you, but you believe you are the right person, get in touch.
As well as the salary, there's a generous pension with 10% employer contribution.
There will also be a bonus scheme aligned with your deliverables in the role.
Other benefits are flexible working hours, including the opportunity to work from home, and a "wear what you like" policy.
Oh, and eventually, if you don't like being known as "Assistant Entrepreneur" you'll get to select your own job title - something you can put on a business card!
The selection process
First, submit your CV and a covering letter telling me why you would like the job and why you think you'd be good at it, as well as your current salary and your expectation.
Next stage is a phone interview.
From there I'll identify a shortlist for an interview day at the Packt offices. You'll meet the Packt directors and there will be an assessment exercise - you'll be fully briefed about it beforehand.
Unfortunately our HR department is not well resourced enough to reply to every application individually. If you don't hear back from me, sorry but you haven't been successful.
Interviews will be held in the Autumn with a start date as early as possible after interview, depending on candidate circumstances.
How to apply
Send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date is 31 August 2012. If you want to have a chat about the role in advance of your application please contact me - Rachel Maclean, the Founding Director - via email@example.com. No agencies please.
IT Content Commissioning Editor – Graduate Trainee - New Vacancy
Salary: Attractive, available on application
Performance related bonus scheme
Generous pension scheme
Brand new spacious City Centre offices conveniently located in the business district and close to all major transport networks
Flexible working hours
Location: Colmore Business District, Birmingham, UK
Full time, permanent, start date as soon as possible depending on candidate availability
Are you a computer science/IT grad or developer who doesn’t want to spend all day writing code? Put your sought-after skills to good use at Packt Publishing, a leading international IT content publisher. We’re looking for a tech-savvy graduate who can share our passion for helping IT professionals the world over do their jobs better through our innovative range of books, ebooks and other new products. If you’re commercially aware and looking for a varied, exciting, challenging and autonomous role with real responsibility from day one, you could be right for the IT Content Commissioning Editor role.
Packt is a leading and highly respected IT publisher publishing on a range of technologies and market segments. We aim to serve the information needs of communities of technical professionals through building up a deep understanding of the essential knowledge they need to do their jobs, bringing them targeted, specialized content. We publish innovatory books and other content on new technologies, from the best writers. Our business model allows us to publish on many areas that other publishers cannot, and we have grown our business by spotting these opportunities.
Detailed role description
As an IT Content Commissioning Editor you’ll play a pivotal role from concept to market in the creation, commissioning and publication of a portfolio of digital and printed content to address the information needs of IT developers and professionals in a variety of technologies and markets. Our products range from best-selling books written by leading industry figures, to articles, online libraries, e-learning content and a wide variety of emerging products. You’ll be personally responsible for selecting content that will sell in your market, and as such you’ll be given responsibility for research, building relationships with writers and content creators, and communicating via a variety of social media to engage with and build online customer communities.
Other responsibilities include:
- Ensuring high quality and on-time publication.
- Undertaking a range of marketing and customer engagement activities, working with our marketing and sales team, to contribute to successful sell-through.
After full training, you’ll be joining one of our Publishing Divisions where your focus will be on learning the key skills required to commission content, which you’ll be doing right away. We expect graduates to progress in their careers to Business Management roles, so this is the first step along that road. Packt values individual development highly and we operate a structured career development scheme, fairly unique among smaller employers, so career progression is assured and you’ll be challenged, and learning, as you grow with us at all stages of your career. At the same time, you will get all the advantages of working for a smaller employer, including significant responsibility, seeing your work impact directly on the business results, new opportunities that emerge continuously with business growth and a flat management structure – no layers of bureaucracy.
This is a highly independent, autonomous role, if you enjoy being given freedom to decide how to work to deliver your goals, this role is for you. You will not be micromanaged, and you will definitely not be required to make the tea, copy edit, or proof-read – this isn’t the typical entry level graduate publishing job!
For this role, we’re looking for someone with a genuine desire to deeply immerse themselves in a customer segment within the IT community and an understanding of how to communicate and engage with these customers. As such you will be someone who is fascinated by developments in technology, online communities and social media.You will probably have a degree in Computer Science, IT, Sciences, or other related areas although this isn’t essential. You may already be active as a blogger, writer, etc, on tech topics.
- A good degree in Computer Science, IT, Maths, or other related technical/scientific subjects.
- If you feel you otherwise meet the criteria but do not have a degree as specified above, we will consider candidates without this background, but you must be able to demonstrate a genuine interest in the industry through other activities, work experience, etc.
- A passion for understanding new developments in technology and an insight into the mindset of people who work with technology
- Strong project management and team skills
- Excellent relationship building skills
- Results oriented
- Drive, initiative, flexibility and openness to change
- Eligible to work in the UK
The IT Content Commissioning Editor is a superb opportunity for a technical graduate who would like to work within the IT publishing industry. Working for a small and fast growing company allows flexible and rapid career growth and development for talented people, as well as the opportunity to take on more challenging and responsible roles at an earlier stage.
How to apply
Applicants who meet the criteria will be contacted and invited to an interview at our Birmingham offices.
Questions about the role?
Feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a no obligation chat about any aspect of the role.