Instant Markdown [Instant] — Save 50%
Learn how to efficiently manage your content and use different services with Markdown with this book and ebook
This article written by Arturo Herrero, the author of the book Instant Markdown, gives a brief description of Markdown and its features.
(For more resources related to this topic, see here.)
Markdown is a lightweight markup language that simplifies the workflow of web writers. It was created in 2004 by John Gruber with contributions and feedback from Aaron Swartz.
Markdown was described by John Gruber as:
"A text-to-HTML conversion tool for web writers. Markdown allows you to write using an easy-to-read, easy-to-write plain text format, then convert it to structurally valid XHTML (or HTML)."
Markdown is two different things:
- A simple syntax to create documents in plain text
- A software tool written in Perl that converts the plain text formatting to HTML
Markdown's formatting syntax was designed with simplicity and readability as a design goal. We add rich formatting to plain text without considering that we are writing using a markup language.
The main features of Markdown
- Easy to use: Markdown has an extremely simple syntax that you can learn quickly
- Fast: Writing is much faster than with HTML, we can dramatically reduce the time we spend crafting HTML tags
- Clean: We can clearly read and write documents that are always translated into HTML without mistakes or errors
- Flexible: It is suitable for many things such as writing on the Internet, e-mails, creating presentations
- Portable: Documents are just plain text; we can edit Markdown with any basic text editor in any operating system
- Made for writers: Writers can focus on distraction-free writing
Here, we can see a quick comparison of the same document between HTML and Markdown. This is the final result that we achieve in both cases:
The following code is written in HTML:
<p>This a <strong>simple</strong> example of Markdown.</p>
<p>Check the <a href="http://daringfireball.net/
The following code is an equivalent document written in Markdown:
# Markdown This a **simple** example of Markdown. ## Features: - Simple - Fast - Portable Check the [official website]. [official website]:http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/
In this article, we learned the basics of Markdown and got to know its features. We also saw how convenient Markdown is, thus proving the fact that it's made for writers.
Resources for Article:
- Generating Reports in Notebooks in RStudio [Article]
- Database, Active Record, and Model Tricks [Article]
- Formatting and Enhancing Your Moodle Materials: Part 1 [Article]
|Learn how to efficiently manage your content and use different services with Markdown with this book and ebook|
eBook Price: $12.99
About the Author :
Arturo Herrero is a Software Engineer interested and experienced in dynamic programming languages, mainly Ruby and Groovy. These days, he mostly works on web development and loves to create elegant software that is easy to read and that provides immediate and lasting value to its users.
Arturo is a frequent speaker at several software development events, such as the Agile Spain Conference, Greach, Codemotion, and local user groups. He currently lives in London, United Kingdom.