OpenX Ad Server: Beginner's Guide — Save 50%
Build and maintain professional advertising solutions for your web sites with OpenX Ad Server
In this article series by Murat Yilmaz, author of OpenX Ad Server: Beginner's Guide, we will learn how to provide every tool to efficiently analyze the performance of websites, website zones, advertisers, campaigns, and banners. We will learn how we can get such statistics online. Then, we will investigate how we can export the data into a spreadsheet such as in Excel and analyze it with a real example.
Here, we shall learn:
- How to view advertisers and campaign statistics
- How to export data to Excel for further analysis
- Types of advanced OpenX reports
- How to retrieve advertising analysis reports using Excel
Advanced reports section provides a more organized and easier way to analyze OpenX statistics to work further with MS Excel. There are three types of advanced analysis reports:
- Advertising analysis report: This report provides a breakdown of advertising statistics for a particular advertiser or publisher. The generated report has three sections—daily, campaign, and zone breakdowns.
- Campaign analysis report: This report type is suitable to analyze the details of a particular campaign. There are three breakdowns including day, banner, and zone.
- Campaign delivery report: This advanced report shows the delivery statistics of campaigns for a certain selected period. It also highlights the underperforming campaigns.
Advertising analysis report
Now let's learn how to retrieve one of the most useful analysis reports in OpenX.
Time for action – getting advertising analysis reports
- Click on Advanced Reports link in Statistics menu.
- Click on Advertising Analysis Report link in Standard Reports section.
- Click on the Generate button, without changing any options.
- Choose Open with Microsoft Office Excel (default) and click on OK button.
- We can see the Daily Breakdown tab selected by default.
- Click on Campaign Breakdown tab to get the details of all campaigns.
- Finally, click on Zone Breakdown tab to see the statistics of all zones
What just happened?
We learned how to generate an advertising analysis report in a few steps. This helps us get very useful statistics to determine the daily progress, success rates of campaigns, and zones that are organized in separate Excel tabs for easy analysis.
Have a go hero – exploring other advanced report types
Now, go and examine other report types including campaign analysis report and campaign delivery report. Try to understand the differences between the report types.
Have a go hero – playing with statistics columns
Try to specify the columns you need for online statistics screen using the account preferences.
Pop quiz – understanding OpenX reports and statistics
Suppose we (as an account manager) opened an advertiser account user for one of the advertisers. Which of the following report types will be available for the new user?
- Advertiser analysis report
- Campaign analysis report
- Campaign delivery report
- All of the reports
- None of the reports
In this article series, we have learned how to use reports and online statistics to evaluate the performance of OpenX advertisers, campaigns, banners, websites, and zones.
We have specifically covered:
- Advertisers and campaigns statistics
- Exporting data to Excel for further analysis
- Types of advanced OpenX reports
- Getting advertising analysis reports in Excel
If you have read this article you may be interested to view :
- Reports and Statistics in OpenX Ad Server
- Start Ad Serving with OpenX
- Start Ad Serving with OpenX- A Sequel
eBook Price: $26.99
Book Price: $44.99
About the Author :
Murat Yilmaz is a software developer and an online entrepreneur who lives in Antalya, Turkey. He has over 10 years of experience in different IT fields, including development of web-driven solutions, large databases, and OLAP systems. He has worked in several multinational companies in Istanbul and Moscow as a consultant. He currently runs his own blog and an e-commerce and online advertising network. He holds a bachelor's degree in Computer Science from Marmara University at Istanbul. He spends his free time playing progressive rock songs, online chess, and reading scientific books.
He has also authored two other books, OpenCart 1.4: Beginner's Guide and OpenX Ad Server: Beginner's Guide.
Books From Packt