Disaster Recovery using VMware vSphere Replication and vCenter Site Recovery Manager — Save 50%
Use VMware vCenter SRM as a disaster recovery solution leveraging both array-based replication and vSphere Replication book and ebook.
In this article, by Abhilash GB, author of the book, Disaster Recovery Using VMware vSphere Replication and vCenter Site Recovery Manager, we will see the steps followed in order to configure a placeholder datastore. For every virtual machine that becomes part of a Protection Group, SRM creates a shadow virtual machine. A placeholder datastore is used to store the files for the shadow virtual machines. The datastore used for this purpose should be accessible to all the hosts in the datacenter/cluster serving the role of a recovery-host. For now, understand that configuring placeholder datastores is an essential step in forming an SRM environment.
(For more resources related to this topic, see here.)
Assuming that each of these paired sites is geographically separated, each site will have its own placeholder datastore. The following figure shows the site and placeholder datastore relationship:
This is how you configure placeholder datastores:
- Navigate to vCenter Server's inventory home page and click on Site Recovery.
- Click on Sites in the left pane and select a site. Navigate to the Placeholder Datastores tab and click on Configure Placeholder Datastore, as shown in the following screenshot:
- In the Configure Placeholder Datastore window, select an appropriate datastore and click on OK. To confirm the selection, exit the window.
- Now, the Placeholder Datastores tab should show the configured placeholder. Refer to the following screenshot:
- If you plan to configure a Failback, repeat the procedure in the recovery site.
In this article, we covered the steps to be followed in order to configure placeholder datastores.
Resources for Article:
- Disaster Recovery for Hyper-V [Article]
- VMware vCenter Operations Manager Essentials - Introduction to vCenter Operations Manager [Article]
- Disaster Recovery Techniques for End Users [Article]
|Use VMware vCenter SRM as a disaster recovery solution leveraging both array-based replication and vSphere Replication book and ebook.|
eBook Price: $19.99
Book Price: $29.99
About the Author :
Abhilash GB is an author, a designer, and a VMware vExpert 2014, who specializes in the areas of Data Center Virtualization and cloud computing.
He is a VMware Certifi ed Advanced Professional in Data Center Administration (VCAP4-DCA and VCAP5-DCA). He has been in the IT industry for nearly a decade, and he has been working on VMware products and technologies since the start of 2007. He is also the author of VMware vSphere 5.1 Cookbook, Packt Publishing.
He is a passionate author who's willing to contribute more titles to the VMware community, and also an aspiring engineer always ready to indulge in designing and creating great solutions for customers.