Instant Apache Maven Starter [Instant]
|Print & eBook also available on:|
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Create Java projects and project templates with Maven archetypes
- Manage project dependencies, project coordinates, and multi-modules
- Download, install, and configure Maven on different operating systems
Table of ContentsInstant Apache Maven Starter
- Instant Apache Maven Starter
- So, what is Maven?
- Step 1 – prerequisites
- Step 2 – downloading Maven
- Step 3 – installing Maven
- Microsoft Windows
- Linux and Mac OS X
- Step 3 – verifying the installation
- And that's it
- Quick start – core concepts and commands of Maven
- Step 1 – understanding Maven
- A Maven project
- Super POM
- Minimal pom.xml
- Parent (also known as POM Inheritance)
- Step 2 – creating from an archetype
- Step 3 – exploring the project structure
- Step 4 – exploring POM
- Step 5 – compile, install, and run
- Step 6 – changing POM
- Step 7 – analyzing the console and fixing warnings
- Top 19 features you need to know about
- Effective POM
- Maven lifecycle
- Artifact resolution
- Dependency scope
- Dependency management
- Plugin management
- Multi-module projects (also known as POM Aggregation)
- Unit and integration testing with Maven
- Maven WAR overlays
- Remote deploy a WAR to Apache Tomcat
- Step 1 – editing tomcat-users.xml
- Step 2 – configuring authentication in settings.xml
- Step 3 – adding the Maven Tomcat Plugin
- Step 4 – deploying to Tomcat
- Running Tomcat embedded
- Multi-environment build
- Assembling an artifact
- Releasing a Maven project
- The Maven Enforcer Plugin
- Using Maven from your favourite IDE
- IntelliJ IDEA
- People and places you should get to know
- Official sites
- Articles and tutorials
- Maven repository managers
- Maven alternatives
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Download, install, and configure Apache Maven with the minimum fuss
- Make your own Java project templates and reuse them
- Deploy to Tomcat or run an embedded Tomcat with Maven
- Perform unit and integration testing with Maven and JUnit
- Manage dependencies and project coordinates, adopting best practices
- Create and manage multi-modules projects
- Use Maven from your favorite IDE: Netbeans, Eclipse, or IDEA
Maven ultimately allows for the automation of the build lifecycle and independence from any IDE. You must always be able to build and test any Java project from the command line, using your favorite editor for coding. It is important to control exactly what libraries get distributed with Java projects and to have a standard project template and build process.
Instant Apache Maven Starter will concentrate the most useful information into one single, very compact source.
This book will help the reader to find out what Maven actually is, and will teach the reader how to create and build a new Java application or Web project from scratch and to understand the POM file and Maven project’s coordinates.
The book introduces the reader with useful information so they can quickly get started with using Maven productively through practical but very simple examples, as well as providing some useful tips.
The topics this book covers deal with setting up a local Maven environment, how to start coding and unit-testing in few minutes, and understanding the POM (Project Object Model) file and its naming conventions and internal dependencies, so that any kind of Java project can be managed uniformly and systematically.
Instant Apache Maven Starter will teach you everything you need to get started with Maven immediately with just the very essential information.
Get to grips with a new technology, understand what it is and what it can do for you, and then get to work with the most important features and tasks.The book follows a starter approach for using Maven to create and build a new Java application or Web project from scratch.
Who this book is for
Instant Apache Maven Starter is great for Java developers new to Apache Maven, but also for experts looking for immediate information. Moreover, only 20% of the necessary information about Maven is used in 80% of the activities. This book aims to focus on the most important information, those pragmatic parts you actually use on a daily basis.