Android 4: New Features for Application Development
|Also available on:|
- Learn new APIs in Android 4
- Get familiar with the best practices in developing Android applications
- Step-by-step approach with clearly explained sample codes
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 166 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : December 2012
ISBN : 1849519528
ISBN 13 : 9781849519526
Author(s) : Murat Aydin
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Android, Mobile, Open Source
Table of ContentsPreface
Chapter 1: Action Bar for All
Chapter 2: A New Layout – GridLayout
Chapter 3: Social APIs
Chapter 4: Calendar APIs
Chapter 5: Fragments
Chapter 6: Supporting Different Screen Sizes
Chapter 7: Android Compatibility Package
Chapter 8: New Connectivity APIs – Android Beam and Wi-Fi Direct
Chapter 9: Multiple APK Support
Chapter 10: APIs with Android Jelly Bean
- Chapter 1: Action Bar for All
- Action bar
- Adding an action bar
- Adding an ActionProvider
- Adding submenus to the ActionProvider
- Adding an action view
- Using the action bar for navigation
- Chapter 2: A New Layout – GridLayout
- Why to use GridLayout
- Adding a GridLayout
- Configuring GridLayout
- A new view – Space
- Chapter 3: Social APIs
- Basics of contacts in Android
- Using Social API
- Device user profile
- Chapter 4: Calendar APIs
- Using Calendar APIs
- Creating an event
- Using Intents for creating events
- Adding an attendee
- Adding a reminder
- Chapter 5: Fragments
- Fragment basics
- Fragment lifecycle
- Creating and managing fragments
- Programmatically adding a fragment
- Event sharing with activity
- Using multiple fragments in an activity
- Types of fragments
- Chapter 6: Supporting Different Screen Sizes
- Android 4.0 supports different screen sizes
- Using match_parent and wrap_content
- Using dip instead of px
- Omit using AbsoluteLayout
- Providing different bitmap drawables for different screen densities
- Providing different layouts for different screen sizes
- Chapter 7: Android Compatibility Package
- What is Android Compability Package
- How to use the Android Compatibility Package
- Chapter 8: New Connectivity APIs – Android Beam and Wi-Fi Direct
- Android Beam
- Beaming NdefMessages
- Wi-Fi Direct
- Sample Wi-Fi Direct application
- Chapter 9: Multiple APK Support
- This chapter is available for download at http://www.packtpub.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Multiple_APK_Support.pdf.
- Chapter 10: APIs with Android Jelly Bean
- This chapter is available for download at http://www.packtpub.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Android_JellyBean.pdf.
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Use the Social API of Android 4
- Create and configure GridLayout
- Use the Calendar API of Android 4
- Create and configure the Action Bar
- Design user interfaces that support different screen sizes
- Create and manage Fragments
- Support Multiple APKs
- Use new APIs in older versions of Android
Recently, with the increasing popularity of mobile phones, mobile operating systems have emerged and quickly spread. Now people with smart phones can do everything that they can do with their computers. The popularity of the Android mobile operating system has increased and is widely used. In this book, new features and innovations of Android 4.0 will be discussed.
"Android 4: New Features for Application Development" is a practical and hands-on guide for developing android applications using new features of Android Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) with a step-by-step approach and clearly explained sample codes. You will learn the new APIs in Android 4.0 with sample code.
This book will cover the new features and APIs of Android 4.0 (Android Ice Cream Sandwich). It will show the usage of the new APIs with a step-by-step approach and clearly explained sample code.
You will learn about the new user interface components such as Action Bar and GridLayout. You will also learn about new APIs for social media integration and accessing calendar data. We will also look at new connectivity APIs such as Wi-Fi Direct and Android Beam. Supporting multiple screen sizes and multiple versions of Android is also among the subjects that you will learn.
You can use "Android 4: New Features for Application Development" as a reference book for developing Android applications using new features of Android 4.0 with its clearly explained, step-by-step sample codes.
This is a practical and hands-on guide with a step-by-step approach and clearly explained sample code.
Who this book is for
This book is for developers who are experienced with the Android platform, but who may not be familiar with the new features and APIs of Android 4.
Android developers who want to learn about supporting multiple screen sizes and multiple Android versions will also find this book beneficial.